(Official) Around the NHL 8.0

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The new NHL/MLBAM digital rights deal will add 4 million to the salary cap, or help absorb the decline of the CAD dollar.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/a-closer-look-at-nhls-partnership-with-mlbam/

Not what the article said:
The equity portion may not figure in revenue calculations for the purposes of the salary cap. “We were told to expect $120M per year in added revenue… $4M per team,” one governor said.​

HRR split is 50-50. So 60M total for cap purposes. Based on how the cap is calculated, the net gain is something like a 2M or so. Which would mitigate some of decline brought about by the falling Canadian dollar but not all, assuming it does indeed fall to ~$0.68.

But Bettman also said this:

So who knows.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2014
Ah, true. There were a few bad ones last summer. I got the impression that Calculon was referring to previous GMs from whom we've moved on, though.

Ahh, I don't recall Feaster signing any FA's to terrible contracts.

Adding to Sutters deal, he has a full NTC for the first 3 years and a partial NTC for the last 2. I was angry when the Canucks hired Jim Benning. Not so much know.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Ahh, I don't recall feaster signing any FA's to terrible contracts.

Adding to Sutters deal, he has a full NTC for the first 3 years and a partial NTC for the last 2. I was angry when the Canucks hired Jim Benning. Not so much know.

You weren't alone. Benning was being pimped by several members of this board back when we were GM hunting.

:laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
If Engelland was getting 2.25, that would be pretty close to market value. He's overpaid, would be hard to deal, but I have zero problems with him.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Ahh, I don't recall Feaster signing any FA's to terrible contracts.

Anton Babchuk was a terrible contract. The Tanguay extension was terrible too.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Babchuk should have been better utilized (Sutter) or traded outright for picks, Tanguay is only useful if Iggy's around. But yeah, as it stands wasn't that great.
There is no defending that Babchuk contract. He was overpaid by a decent amount and got a NTC!

Aug 21, 2014
There is no defending that Babchuk contract. He was overpaid by a decent amount and got a NTC!

Honestly, I blame everything on Brent Sutter. Couldn't utilize his roster properly. He didn't know that Hagman could PK. Could've used Kotalik as a PP weapon with his stupid hard RH-shot.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Honestly, I blame everything on Brent Sutter. Couldn't utilize his roster properly. He didn't know that Hagman could PK. Could've used Kotalik as a PP weapon with his stupid hard RH-shot.
Babchuk couldn't skate, that isn't Sutter's fault. He was always a terrible defenseman, he just had some offense early in his career.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Hey there guys. Once you get done laughing about the contract Benning just shelled out for Sutter, there's more news out of Canuckland. John Weisbrod's just been promoted to Assistant GM. Yes, that guy.

If any Flames fans would like to pop on by our board to share any impressions about him and the performance he did in Calgary, please feel free. Totally 100% serious about this. Don't hold back.

Thanks.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Hey there guys. Once you get done laughing about the contract Benning just shelled out for Sutter, there's more news out of Canuckland. John Weisbrod's just been promoted to Assistant GM. Yes, that guy.

If any Flames fans would like to pop on by our board to share any impressions about him and the performance he did in Calgary, please feel free. Totally 100% serious about this. Don't hold back.

Thanks.
There isn't alot to say, people will hate on him for the Janko pick, but he never made any blunders while here IMO. Benning knows him well from Boston.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Burke didn't like him, said he was very smart but that he didn't really know him. I feel like he would try and always like for the diamond in the rough. But I think he does have some assets he brings to the table 100%.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

Thanks.
Weird guy. Wasn't around a lot when Burke came on board. Big on drafting from the US and player going the college route.

Was influential in not only the Jankowski pick, but also Sieloff.

Was a huge, huge Sieloff fan:
"We had Sieloff 20th overall," he noted. "There was actual discussion (on Friday) when we pushed back to 21 - if Jankowski's gone, will we take Sieloff?

"We were ecstatic."
Had a strong case of tunnel vision at times. Outside opinion, at least the popular one after he was fired, was that he thought he was the smartest person in the room. Might have been what led to the Flames ignoring consensus talent in favour of wild projects.

Tough to get an accurate overall read since he was really only hands on for one season. Rumor was, after the 2012 draft, his influence was severely curtailed.
Wasn't he a key part of drafting Gaudreau as well?
Wasn't a part of the Flames during the 2011 draft. Was hired a few days after the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad