(Official) Around the NHL 8.0

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
It is a classic case of individuals on this website having a misogynistic opinion. As I said to Deebz on Facebook:

I hope there is no fire behind this smoke, but if there is, they better throw the book at Kane (both the league and the state of New York).

This obviously doesn't apply to everybody (especially not you guys :innocent: ) but a lot of hardcore sports fans don't seem to be the most intellectually sophisticated people. I can't say I'm surprised at the kind of preemptive victim blaming that's going on in that thread.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah I stay out of those kinda threads for that exact purpose. Too many people are way too quick to judge without hearing any of the actual concrete facts or evidence. They'll believe the first thing they hear as gospel.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
This obviously doesn't apply to everybody (especially not you guys :innocent: ) but a lot of hardcore sports fans don't seem to be the most intellectually sophisticated people. I can't say I'm surprised at the kind of preemptive victim blaming that's going on in that thread.
It's not just sports fans. Victim blaming is a huge reason why more victims of sex crimes don't come forward. It's a cultural problem, it's no different than these schools who send girls home due to their clothing because it is too provocative. When are we going to teach people that it doesn't matter what someone wears, you are responsible for your own actions.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Very true. Certain individuals (mostly certain men) have an incomprehensible perception of others, as well as a complete lack of responsibility for their own actions. It's sad just how common that kind of mindset actually is.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Very true. Certain individuals (mostly certain men) have an incomprehensible perception of others, as well as a complete lack of responsibility for their own actions. It's sad just how common that kind of mindset actually is.
Even women do it, they shame each other all the time and even they question it quite often when terrible things happen.

I honestly see this as a societal problem. No one take responsibility anymore and everyone wants everything right now, as this mentality continues to grow I fear these terrible things will escalate to new level. I hope I am wrong.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
To play Devil's advocate though, it's no secret that Kane is the highest paid player in the league currently. It is entirely plausible that he slept with that girl and she is falsely accusing him now in an attempt to get a settlement. I have read all of Mike Tyson's books and watched his documentaries, I am still of the opinion that his accuser lied and sent him to jail.

In saying all that, it's also entirely plausible that given Kane's history (of being a ****), that he did do what the victim is saying. I will hold off of giving an opinion and judgement until the investigation details are released. If he is in fact guilty, well I hope he is punished accordingly. I've never been a fan of the Kane the person.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
To play Devil's advocate though, it's no secret that Kane is the highest paid player in the league currently. It is entirely plausible that he slept with that girl and she is falsely accusing him now in an attempt to get a settlement. I have read all of Mike Tyson's books and watched his documentaries, I am still of the opinion that his accuser lied and sent him to jail.

In saying all that, it's also entirely plausible that given Kane's history (of being a ****), that he did do what the victim is saying. I will hold off of giving an opinion and judgement until the investigation details are released. If he is in fact guilty, well I hope he is punished accordingly. I've never been a fan of the Kane the person.
To be fair I don't think any of us are accusing Kane, nor her. Just more or less discussing the sad state of our society.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Honestly, though, social justice is at an all-time high. Rape used to be an accepted part of the fabric of most cultures.

Mmm, I agree with you regarding social justice and how it has shaped this issue; and yes rape used to be much more prevalent in most cultures. I don't know that I would regard it as being a part of the 'fabric' of a culture though. It has been treated as a 'crime' in almost all cultures going back millennia. The punishments have changed greatly though of course.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Mmm, I agree with you regarding social justice and how it has shaped this issue; and yes rape used to be much more prevalent in most cultures. I don't know that I would regard it as being a part of the 'fabric' of a culture though. It has been treated as a 'crime' in almost all cultures going back millennia. The punishments have changed greatly though of course.

It's been part of the fabric, I would say. That is to say, rape as a crime only applied to certain socio-economic situations, and was completely accepted in others. If a peasant boy raped the lord's daughter, prepare for a seven-course torture and execution. If a knight raped a peasant girl, then he was finally a man!

Now, we have a high-profile athlete getting in trouble for his actions with a complete unknown.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Honestly, though, social justice is at an all-time high. Rape used to be an accepted part of the fabric of most cultures.
I'm not sure it is. People do what they want and don't care who they hurt and I believe that extends to sex crimes. Maybe part of it is that people are speaking out and so we hear about it more, so maybe I am wrong and it's not happening more, but is being reported more. Unfortunately I think the reporting rate is staying stagnant.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
To be fair I don't think any of us are accusing Kane, nor her. Just more or less discussing the sad state of our society.

That is totally fair, I was making more of a general comment about the investigation. My comment was mostly intended to suggest that I could see the outcome end up being that Kane was falsely targeted here. I don't have much respect for Kane though, nothing would surprise me, really.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
It's been part of the fabric, I would say. That is to say, rape as a crime only applied to certain socio-economic situations, and was completely accepted in others. If a peasant boy raped the lord's daughter, prepare for a seven-course torture and execution. If a knight raped a peasant girl, then he was finally a man!

Now, we have a high-profile athlete getting in trouble for his actions with a complete unknown.
My first thought when you said it was apart of the fabric was vikings who were known to rape and pillage

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
My first thought when you said it was apart of the fabric was vikings who were known to rape and pillage

That too. Like I said, it was in many cultures. You could argue (though I don't think it's a good idea necessarily to get into specifics) that it still is in some parts of the world.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm not sure it is. People do what they want and don't care who they hurt and I believe that extends to sex crimes. Maybe part of it is that people are speaking out and so we hear about it more, so maybe I am wrong and it's not happening more, but is being reported more. Unfortunately I think the reporting rate is staying stagnant.

I think you're on the money with that suggestion. I think that with awareness and equality going up, reports are being filed more commonly because people, and in particular the victims of rape, are more aware of their rights and more likely to realize that they've been a victim of a crime.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I think you're on the money with that suggestion. I think that with awareness and equality going up, reports are being filed more commonly because people, and in particular the victims of rape, are more aware of their rights and more likely to realize that they've been a victim of a crime.
Do you think the awareness of it being a serious crime is also leading to more false accusations as well?

I personally think the rate in which it is being reported is staying stagnant, I don't think the awareness that it's a serious crime is contributing to that. I think that because they have to relive it and with the accused being innocent until proven guilty it is a situation where the victim has to prove they are not lying.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I won't have an opinion on what happened until all the facts come out. I just hope justice is served where it is due.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I won't have an opinion on what happened until all the facts come out. I just hope justice is served where it is due.

Kane's contract terminated?
If it comes out he did sexually assault someone, clearly that's worse than doing some oxy's because your body's broken; right?

Interested to see what happens; if it's true though I hope they bring down the book hard on him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Kane's contract terminated?
If it comes out he did sexually assault someone, clearly that's worse than doing some oxy's because your body's broken; right?

Chicago will absolutely have the option to terminate the contract, from what I understand. They, like LA, would also have the option to not terminate the contract, as far as I know. I believe they would only terminate it in the case that Kane would be suspended indefinitely, and it was clear that he wouldn't be allowed in the NHL again.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Like Zirakzigil said until all the facts come out and Kane is charged/not charged, no opinion will be formed on this issue.

However, if he IS charged and IS proven guilty, I would hope that the Law and the NHL come down on him hard.
Likewise, if the woman is proved to be lying and Kane is innocent, I would hope she gets charged hard with penalties for lying, and trying to tarnish Kane.(granted he's not the most 'class act' hockey player)

Also in other NHL News, the Avs resigned G Calvin Pickard to a 1 yr 850K deal.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I give the girl credit for going to the police. Lots of people that are victims stay quiet, and let the guilty go.

That said, if it's found out she's lying then I think it's just as bad as rape. It just mocks all the people that have actually had to face sexual abuse in their lifetimes.

Like others have said I will wait until the facts come out.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Cullen isn't quite as good as Sutter, but he's not far off. That's a massive win for them!

Yeah he's a good 4th line depth guy, good for the locker room and a good vet, and he still has surprising wheels for his age.
all for under $1M? definite win.
their c depth is just dirty
Crosby-Malkin-Bonnino-Fehr-Cullen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad