(Official) Around the NHL 8.0

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
When it comes to rival teams, I am ALL ABOUT players getting paid. Show me the money, makin' it rain, etc.
:naughty:

Seriously though, from all the discussion on the main boards about Sutter, he should be a
3.5m AAV player at best, especially with term like 5 years. He honestly sounds like Colborne but with less tenacity and more finish. It'll be interesting to see if it's Horvat or Sutter in the second line role come October.

I think Sutter is a really good hockey player. He's never really been in a position to get premium minutes with top linemates. I'm not sure that he's going to get that in Van, but I think he's very underrated personally. He's a very smart player and does not make hardly any mistakes. He's a very solid player with no glaring weaknesses, but he also does not have one area that is elite.

Aug 3, 2010
I think Sutter is a really good hockey player. He's never really been in a position to get premium minutes with top linemates. I'm not sure that he's going to get that in Van, but I think he's very underrated personally. He's a very smart player and does not make hardly any mistakes. He's a very solid player with no glaring weaknesses, but he also does not have one area that is elite.

6'3" and consistently quoted as a loser of board battles and not physical - I'd say that's a pretty glaring knock on him. I know he's a mobile skater and has good positioning/reads, but is that really worth a) what he was traded for and b) the upcoming contract he's speculated to be signing? I'd argue that he's a very good third liner, because he has secondary scoring ability and decent defensive awareness, and can win faceoffs, but IMO a true second-line centre doesn't have those holes in their portfolio - they're the typical all-around solid secondary option.

He absolutely gets by on his last name a bit. If their coaching was smart, they'd try him with the Sedins on right wing especially on special teams as he's even a RHS, but then they lose his faceoff ability. To call him a "foundational piece" and then offer him a contract like 4.4m over 5 years is not a great indicator of his worth.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I'm thinking we are going to have to give Sean and Johnny closer to 6.5 after next season assuming they repeat or grow from last season.

On the one hand, Hamilton got under 6. If they produce around 60 something points again I don't think they should warrant 6.5 unless we are talking 8 years? I could see 6x6 type deal but it's hard to garage really.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Thats the part I don't get, Horvat easily could be the second line center but 4.4m for Sutter is a lot for a 3rd liner.

well they just paid Sutter 2nd line money so if he isn't on the 2nd line then Van fans are going to be more outraged than they already are :laugh: :naughty:
Benning just put himself into a no win situation. Either they develop Horvat by using him at 2 c while paying 4+M for a 3rd liner OR they use Horvat as 3 C as a more defensive C.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
well they just paid Sutter 2nd line money so if he isn't on the 2nd line then Van fans are going to be more outraged than they already are :laugh: :naughty:
Benning just put himself into a no win situation. Either they develop Horvat by using him at 2 c while paying 4+M for a 3rd liner OR they use Horvat as 3 C as a more defensive C.

To be fair, the Flames are paying over 3 million for a 4th line center. Sutter is also still young. He's a guy that will give them a much stronger center depth. I think 5 years is too much, but I don't hate this deal. If Sutter earns the #2 spot, then the contract may not look bad. If Horvat earns the #2 spot, then they suddenly have a really good #1-3 center combination. Monahan didn't get a top 6 spot right off the bat. He was given sheltered minutes, which is exactly what they should do with Horvat. No reason to rush him into a top 6 position.

The only thing I didn't care for was the trade to acquire him.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I just wonder how much longer the Sedins are going to play for? If it's only a couple seasons, then the timing of this would good. But at face value, it's pretty steep.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Benning's a joke and Linden's ruining his legacy.

Sutter is grossly overpaid for what he is. The Canucks are obviously banking on the notion he'll turn into a regular 40 to 50 point two-way centreman but I don't see that happening with Sutter's low offensive IQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad