Speculation: Offersheeting Puljujärvi 2022

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Why is this even open still? If anyone offer sheets Pulujarvi, it will go the same as every other offer sheet has. If its a fair deal, it gets matched, like Aho's offer sheet from Montreal. If its a stupid overpayment, it doesn't get matched, the Oilers lose him and get picks as compensation. It would probably take 6.2M for Edmonton to not match it, and whatever GM would sign that is a bone head.

Reactions: RattsSSV

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Why would anyone want Puljujarvi on their team? The Oilers' whole problem is they're stuck with AHL caliber busts Puljujarvi and Yamamoto playing with McDavid and Draisaitl. 25 points in 55 games in the top 6 is not good for an offensive player on the worst team in the league, it's nothing more than pathetic next to McDavid...The average 2nd line caliber offensive player should be putting up PPG on a line with a nearly 2 PPG forward.

Half those points McDavid got on the powerplay which Puljujarvi wasn't on. He was great on the forecheck, lacked finish around the net. Hope to see progression. He's easily a 3rd line calibre guy right now with room to improve into a legitimate top 6 player. Yamamoto is a 3rd line energy guy. Good forecheck sparkplug type, some skill but undersized. Both had to play higher up the lineup due to a lack of depth. Hyman and Foegele will help the depth. Foegele was 3rd in even strength goals for Carolina over the last 3 season's. He should be able to push Yamamoto to the 3rd line where he belongs.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Half those points McDavid got on the powerplay which Puljujarvi wasn't on. He was great on the forecheck, lacked finish around the net. Hope to see progression. He's easily a 3rd line calibre guy right now with room to improve into a legitimate top 6 player. Yamamoto is a 3rd line energy guy. Good forecheck sparkplug type, some skill but undersized. Both had to play higher up the lineup due to a lack of depth. Hyman and Foegele will help the depth. Foegele was 3rd in even strength goals for Carolina over the last 3 season's. He should be able to push Yamamoto to the 3rd line where he belongs.
Holloway pushes Yam to the 3rd and all of a sudden Edmonton has an elite top 9. He might not be ready yet but the kid is exactly what the top 6 is missing right now.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Holloway pushes Yam to the 3rd and all of a sudden Edmonton has an elite top 9. He might not be ready yet but the kid is exactly what the top 6 is missing right now.

I'm interested to see what Foegele could do with RNH and Draisaitl also.

Hyman - McDavid -

RNH - Drasaitl -

Puljujarvi, Foegele and Yamamoto battle for those 2 RW spots and if Kassian comes in motivated he might see limited time up there too. I don't think Kassian belongs there for the record but maybe against Calgary he lines up on McDavid wing

Reactions: Connor McConnor

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
All I got to say is that this thread is filled with so much fail it's funny. Aho, the greatest thing since sliced bread. McJesus not great. Poolparty being worthy of an offersheet and NOT still a bust. Just wow.

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I don't think it works, but kudos to OP for getting us to think about it.

$2.0 to $4.1 - compensation = 2nd round pick = Oilers easily match
$4.1 to $6.1 - compensation = 1st and a 3rd = depends on play this season, but personally I would take the picks and flip 1st for an upgrade, like MB did (but a better upgrade). Gut says err on the side of taking picks because I'm not convinced the damage between player and organization has been entirely repaired by Holland. I think bad feelings linger, and right now it's a marriage of convenience.
$6.1 to $8.2 - surely nobody could be so stupid - compensation = 1st, 2nd, 3rd. Oilers take picks and laugh all the way to the draft.

I do think we need to see how the season goes, but I'm not sure Holland and Tippett would be that happy with the compensation of 1st, 2nd and 3rd. 2nd and 3rd don't really have that much value, this is just a guess but I think they'd maybe turn e.g. a #2o OA to #15 OA. If Holland was offered the 15th pick I'm sure he'd rather keep Pulju.

Pulju brings a lot more than points but the production side is coming there too. He had just a quarter of PP time compared to the top guys, but his goals/60 was the 3rd best of the team. ESG/60 was the 2nd best, which is quite good in a team with McDavid and Draisaitl. It's just preseason, but he's had 3+1 in two games and was nominated the 1st star against the Jets.

Like I said we'll need to see how the season goes, Pulju still has things to prove but I believe he's ready to take the next step. But even if he stayed at the level he had last year he'd be a very useful tool for the team.

Reactions: The Moose is Loose

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Looking at the Oilers lineup and income cap 2022, it looks like it could be a good idea to do a Dundon on Puljujärvi. Puljujärvi has become a really good power-forward like hustler and netprescence, who can make space for others. Teams like Toronto and Carolina could really use a guy like that. Lets say Pulju keep beeing a 40+p hustler. Can and will Oilers match something like this:

1yr 4,5-5.5M

Atleast Carolina will have the space to do an offer like this again with Niederraiter, Stepan, Cole and Trocheck coming off the books and he would very likely be a fit with Svechnikov-Aho
Why just Toronto and Carolina? I get why Toronto because they are the perceived center of the universe but Carolina because of what they just did with JK ? Weird two teams to pick . I’m sure all teams will at least thunk about it if Poolparty continues to improve. Unfortunately for the Oilers , him playing with the best player in the world will inflate his numbers and his perceived worth with be crazy.
It might be very hard for the Oilers to get him resigned but I’m sure even Holland will find a way to do so if he plays well and proves to be a legit top 6 power forward,

What I don’t get is how he went from looks totally clueless and showing no real skill at all to almost completely turning his game around. He looked like a complete bust his last few games before he left the Oilers before his eventual return.
He looks like a completely different player. I’m surprised no team tried to buy low when they had a chance. Now no way Edmonton trades him unless he earns a huge payday.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I doubt he’s at much risk of an offer sheet tbh. He was on pace for 37 points last year. He needs to show a lot more in terms of points to get a big enough offer that Edmonton won’t match.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
I doubt he’s at much risk of an offer sheet tbh. He was on pace for 37 points last year. He needs to show a lot more in terms of points to get a big enough offer that Edmonton won’t match.
I think he may get 50-60 points this year and make an offer sheet a risk.

OilersCoffeeArtBeer

Jun 7, 2021
Seattle
Keith is gonna retire, oilers will gain 8 million from that alone because of the cap reprocussions. Oilers will can afford Jesse. I assume Carolina would be the one to do it haha

Whyme

Nov 3, 2019
I could be wrong, but I don't see Pulju as someone chasing the highest amount of dollars he could get. He is a modest guy and I believe the main thing is to be in a place where he can enjoy playing hockey and where he has a good chance to succeed. When asked about the salary of his current contract (which was lower than many expected) he said one survives just fine with it so if things keep going well in Edmonton and if he gets enough PP time it's unlikely he'll be going elsewhere.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Not in the universe from the last time you saw him play 4 years ago. But increasingly moreso every season now that he is close to full grown.

I saw him play last year and he definitely is not a power forward.

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019
I saw him play last year and he definitely is not a power forward.

Is reeves a power forward? Pulju is a power forward at everything except fighting/dirty play. If reeves is a power forward to you maybe you are thinking of an enforcer

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Hahahaha!!!
McDavid needs to improve his skating!?!

Just like Ovechkin needs to improve his shot and finishing touch.

Ridiculous!

I don’t think the poster meant McDavid needs to improve his skating.
Rather than he is a better skater than Aho, if Aho is smarter in that posters mind

Reactions: GreeningOil

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019
Who said anything about Reeves. Weird reply.

your post implies a power forward is not a forward that plays a power game since pulju does play a power game. The only stereotypical element he misses from the power forward package is fighting/dirty play. The only logical conclusion is that is solely how you define a power forward. Reeves is the prototype of that “power forward.”

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I could be wrong, but I don't see Pulju as someone chasing the highest amount of dollars he could get. He is a modest guy and I believe the main thing is to be in a place where he can enjoy playing hockey and where he has a good chance to succeed. When asked about the salary of his current contract (which was lower than many expected) he said one survives just fine with it so if things keep going well in Edmonton and if he gets enough PP time it's unlikely he'll be going elsewhere.

I agree with this.

Puljujarvi had a rough start on and off the ice in Edmonton, but he has been settling in really well. He's all smiles and seems to have engaged quite well in the community. Even McD put him on his line for informal skates before the season, so it is clear he's being accepted as a key member of the team.

I think all of those intangibles will be huge for Puljujarvi and it would be a shock to see him move on so quickly after finally finding a comfort zone.

Reactions: Whyme

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad