Off-season thread

Sports2

WDI
Jul 1, 2018
If it aged so well, why has it been regularly voted as one of the worst contracts in the league by both fans and media?
I think that was probably not what they meant. But I agree, there was no world where Benn wasn’t resigned. He had them by the balls. Seguin he signed but it at least came out later he was shopping him during or shortly after signing IIRC

Reactions: LT

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
If it aged so well, why has it been regularly voted as one of the worst contracts in the league by both fans and media?

Think you’re confusing Seguin and Benn. Bleacher report is the only outlet that voted Benn as the worst contract on our team and that was in 2022. Everyone else has picked Seguin

IMG_2586.jpeg

Ironic they end it about things not aging well.

Reactions: LT and Satan

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Think you’re confusing Seguin and Benn. Bleacher report is the only outlet that voted Benn as the worst contract on our team and that was in 2022. Everyone else has picked Seguin

View attachment 733599

Ironic they end it about things not aging well.
i was about to post something similar - but honestly, how many of these 8M+ contracts for 28 year olds end up "aging well" by the end of them? You can probably count on two hands.

fact is- benn's played 90% of the games and scored at a 60 point pace, it's not ideal but he led the team to one cup finals appearance and playoff appearances in 4 of the 6 years. I think that's a win- at least he's not out of the league at 33 years old like PK Subban was

Reactions: Magic Mittens

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
i was about to post something similar - but honestly, how many of these 8M+ contracts for 28 year olds end up "aging well" by the end of them? You can probably count on two hands.

fact is- benn's played 90% of the games and scored at a 60 point pace, it's not ideal but he led the team to one cup finals appearance and playoff appearances in 4 of the 6 years. I think that's a win- at least he's not out of the league at 33 years old like PK Subban was

Yeah and how many of these GM’s were able to ink an elite 1C and a franchise 1D to 8x8’s after the fact?

The clowns that like to shit on Benn’s art ross win always make me laugh. sCoRInG wAS dOwN MaSsiveLY, yeah no shit because your favorite player was getting shutdown as well. That was arguably one of the most exciting art ross clinches in the last 20 years because it was a tight race. Not McJesus dunking 800 points in a single season and then 2nd place having 93 points.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Yeah and how many of these GM’s were able to ink an elite 1C and a franchise 1D to 8x8’s after the fact?

The clowns that like to shit on Benn’s art ross win always make me laugh. sCoRInG wAS dOwN MaSsiveLY, yeah no shit because your favorite player was getting shutdown as well. That was arguably one of the most exciting art ross clinches in the last 20 years because it was a tight race. Not McJesus dunking 800 points in a single season and then 2nd place having 93 points.
ya that Art Ross win was great - we deserved it after watching that club miss the playoffs. it gave us something to cheer for and be excited about in future years

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Alot of Benns drop in points was clearly due to him not beeing featured on the powerplay anymore. Last season they put him back into a prominent role on PP#1 for the first time since Monty and then Bones took over and what do you know his point production spiked again despite playing the least minutes since his rookie season

You can just see how his PP points fall off a cliff in 18-19 and only recover once a completely new coaching staff was hired

Last edited:
Reactions: LT
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Remember "f***ing Horseshit"? (Dec. of '18, in case you forgot.) That's when the hockey universe agreed that Benn's contract was awful, because it was only year 2 of an 8 year deal. That general opinion about his contract remained right up until last season whence the Bennaisance took place, and everyone lightened up a bit. (It also helps that the contract is almost done.)

It sure does look like a lot of revisionism going on with the "Oh, we never thought his contract was that bad" opinions being thrown around right now. Don't forget that for many of the previous seasons, us fans were quite frustrated with how Benn would look like shit for ~2/3 of the season, then he would bust ass in the spring and end up with an ok point total for the season.

"Springtime Jamie Benn™" was definitely a thing up until last season where he looked pretty good right away in October (and made me nervous that it wouldn't last). Hell, look at this fun post from LT I managed to wrangle out of the search engine:

Feel free to read some old GDTs if you forgot how much we shit on Benn throughout the middle years of his contract.

Last edited:

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Us crapping all over him doesn't mean much, as we tend to over react. I think, looking back, coaching had something to do with it. PDB's system is better for him, but clearly in the Bowness years he played defense more and offense less. Bone's systems didn't help too many players, and it certainly didn't help Jamie.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Remember "f***ing Horseshit"? (Dec. of '18, in case you forgot.) That's when the hockey universe agreed that Benn's contract was awful, because it was only year 2 of an 8 year deal. That general opinion about his contract remained right up until last season whence the Bennaisance took place, and everyone lightened up a bit. (It also helps that the contract is almost done.)

It sure does look like a lot of revisionism going on with the "Oh, we never thought his contract was that bad" opinions being thrown around right now. Don't forget that for many of the previous seasons, us fans were quite frustrated with how Benn would look like shit for ~2/3 of the season, then he would bust ass in the spring and end up with an ok point total for the season.

"Springtime Jamie Benn™" was definitely a thing up until last season where he looked pretty good right away in October (and made me nervous that it wouldn't last). Hell, look at this fun post from LT I managed to wrangle out of the search engine:

Feel free to read some old GDTs if you forgot how much we shit on Benn throughout the middle years of his contract.

I remember starting that post trying to defend him and realizing the data didn't back that up at all :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: BrettHullsToe

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Let’s also look at other circumstances. The shitting on has also decreased mostly because Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski have been so awesome. If the two younger guys hadn‘t worked out with the top line still being Benn-Seguin, the shitting on would remain as strong as ever.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Whats going back is going to be interesting. Pens really need to send some of their older not so good players back as cap dumps otherwise this won't work but that also likely means more picks/prospects added ( whatever the Pens have there )

That can't be it right ? If thats the package the Sharks only get one first rounder

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
That's a really funny trade with a lot of meme potential.

-Petry going back to the Habs.
-Karlsson involved in the same trade as Hoffman after their controversy.
-Hoffman going back to San Jose after his prolific 2 hour stint with them in 2018.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Thought Petry might be a candidate to flip here from MTL post EK trade, but then I saw his cap hit.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Thought Petry might be a candidate to flip here from MTL post EK trade, but then I saw his cap hit.
I think it's still possible, his cap hit is only 4.7M right now because Pittsburgh retained 25% in the trade. MTL can retain up to 50% bringing it to 2.35M

Reactions: Sports2

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
So much for Pesce trade. Looks like Lundkvist needs to figure it out and figure it out fast.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Sharks retained about as much on EK as the Pens did on Petry. Assuming minimal retention is why Sharks got back so little value here.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Idk man Petry is not very durable anymore and clearly lost a few steps.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Thought SJ would get more, but I guess they can also flip Granlund and Hoffman at the deadline, or whatever year there deals expire

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Coyotes upgrade from pitiable to mildly hateable.

Every single NHL defenseman on the Yotes is either UFA or RFA after next season. Never seen anything like this.

They're this wierd collection of a few guys the Yotes drafted , guys teams wanted to get rid of and guys who signed shorterm deals hoping to make bank later on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad