Off-season thread

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Carolina haven't signed Justin Robidas to an ELC. Looks like he will re-enter the draft and we can scoop him up

• Haha
Reactions: Sports2

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
If we buyout Suter again does that split his soul and make him even more powerful?

• Haha
Reactions: Blueston

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
I think this time last year we all would've been thrilled to hear our team made the conference finals this season.

Rough right now, but happy we were one of the best teams in the league this year and it was genuinely an exciting team to watch all year. Great season

Ideally to do this offseason:
Buyout Suter

Get a proper puck moving RHD

Sign (or re-sign!) 2 scoring forwards. As mentioned above, Bertuzzi would also be nice but I have a feeling we won't get anyone as expensive as him or Domi.

Find a way to get rid of at least 2 of Hakanpaa, Suter, Miller

Get a 3rd NHL level goalie or a better backup

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
This is how we win. Every time I look at the list of free agents I go okay it's time to sign Erik Haula and Jesper Fast.

for fun:
Robertson - Hintz - Pavelski
Haula - Johnston - Seguin
Marchment - Benn - Stankoven
Faksa - Dellandrea - Fast

Reactions: M88K

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Not having a first round pick is gonna make this next month leading up to the draft so boring. Would love to see Nill somehow trade up and get a first but it's not gonna happen. Damn it's easy to hate that trade by Nill with Lundkvist not playing at all in forever. Hope it turns out well in the long run. At least it's a late 1st

Sports2

smack my bisch up
Jul 1, 2018
Short of a cap casualty, Suter is almost certainly here to stay. I would guess Miller gets the boot for Harley, Lundkvist starts the season in Dallas, and that's how they roll into the season.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Short of a cap casualty, Suter is almost certainly here to stay. I would guess Miller gets the boot for Harley, Lundkvist starts the season in Dallas, and that's how they roll into the season.
I agree.

Part of the problem with Suter is he's not particularly highly paid, so his salary minus his buyout cap hit limits your options. Your only hope at an upgrade is (i) finding the fancy stat darling who improves with more ice time (sometimes this works, sometimes this exposes a guy isn't very good when taken from his tiny role), (ii) getting a guy on an injury discount and hoping he stays healthy, or (iii) hoping any change for the sake of change is an upgrade.

And there's no way the Stars roll into next season with Harley, Kyrou, and Lundkvist as expected every day d men. No coach or GM is going to allow that. If Suter is replaced, it won't be with a rookie.

I'd buyout Wedgewood and look for another backup. Him missing a couple of months wasn't his fault, but it's not like they trusted him even when he was healthy. They don't need a 1B. But they need a solid number two.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
My big hope for the off-season is Suter retires to avoid the buyout cap hits. The problem is he's perfected the art of never really trying hard enough to put himself in a position to get hurt. It's why he always plays 82 games.

Reactions: DieselPig

Erebor

Jan 8, 2019
They will not resign Domi.
With Stank coming, they will not sign another small forward.

Gagliardi and Nill both think they can't win with too many small players.

Reactions: Dallasman

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Not having a first round pick is gonna make this next month leading up to the draft so boring. Would love to see Nill somehow trade up and get a first but it's not gonna happen. Damn it's easy to hate that trade by Nill with Lundkvist not playing at all in forever. Hope it turns out well in the long run. At least it's a late 1st
The payoff of the Lundqvist trade was never going to be this season. So many Swedish defence prospects need multiple years to adjust to the smaller ice surface and I’m more confident that he’ll figure it out than a 29th/30th overall pick will be an impact player. This teams biggest organizational weakness is RD, and Lundqvist is still a better near and long-term solution than many of the other options Nill could have gone for.

And I think you can still get a first round quality pick in the 2nd round with the right drafting approach. This draft is deep enough that there will be some high-end talents with flaws that’ll fall deep into the second.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Outcoached going into Game 6? Vegas juggled their lines and the Stars had no answer.
Outmatched all game. The 4th line got cratered in. Benn/Seguin/Marchment were dog shit.

I am still very happy with how the season went. Good on the remaining fans to cheer the Stars on at the end of the game last night. The score last night sucked but that shouldn't summarize the entire season.

Jim Nill's moves:
Losing Dadonov sucked more than I think we recognized. Great pickup, I'd like to re-sign him if he's cheap.

Max Domi caught everyone's eye. He's a talented player but I'm not sure he's detailed enough on both sides of the puck at his AAV. I'm okay with picking up Max Domi-type players at the trade deadline but I don't think you should overspend on them at free agency.

Marchment was horrendous all series long. On both sides of the puck. 4 shots in 84 minutes. The WhatsApp group takes responsibility for this signing and we hope he's better next year.

Freddy Olofsson came in and looked decent. Good for him. Not sure if he's back next season though.

It's disheartening when you consider that Miller didn't make sense to sign last summer and he didn't belong on this team in the playoffs.
1685446197260.png

Nils Lundkvist ate hotdogs in the press box all playoffs long. Hopefully he's a piece to next year's puzzle.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
This team is good to very good, and their only real roadblock to true success is Suter. It wouldn’t be Nill-like and as Troy said it would be unlikely, but I think a buyout has to be done. You cannot stomach two more years of Suter with the opportunity you have, and he will not retire knowing the opportunity this team has. Miro is at a reasonable rate, Harley/Nils are on entry levels, and Bichsel will be on an entry level in 24/25. They need to be playing. The money seems pretty inconsequential, but if you wanna do mental gymnastics just tack on the buyout to the ELCs we have on the blue line.

If Hanley walks, you can talk me into Hak or more likely Miller as a 7 going forward. So with that and a Suter buyout, you’d have

Miro-x
Harley-x
Lindell-Nils
Miller

Theoretically you would want to find a Dan Hamhuis in 2016 like guy for short term/dollars that keeps the top 4 seat warm for Nils as he grows on the bottom pair. Dumba could fit, but he’s ass. Klingberg could fit, but he’s also ass. Probably gotta pursue that through trade.

At forward I think you can reasonably plug in Logan and Mav to expect success, but I could see Dadonov staying.

Goalie’s fine, just find a McKenna type veteran to play in the AHL and call up if Wedge or Jake miss a ton of time so no one has to play the entirety of Feb-March.

Reactions: Dallasman and LT

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Nill needs to find a way to make Seguin for Jones happen.
Instantly the 2nd best d-man on the team. an all important RD.
cap should be around 92mil by 25-26, so the extra 3yrs at 9.5m shouldn't be to much of a killer factoring in continued growth throughout the life of the deal.

Hell get johnson at 50% in the same deal as well, Buyout Suter and still have space to bring back Dadonov or Domi

puckie

Jan 19, 2020
Defense needs to be upgraded. It was pretty blaring.

I am guessing Domi will go back to Chicago, but just a guess. He has a good relationship with Luke Richardson and enjoys playing for him. LR also has the ability to use with his strengths and be able to work with his stupid plays like Hague cross check and punch to the face.

To use him well you definitley need talented players who can finish. I would have loved to see him work with Pavelski more. I would say he is an elite passer and puck mover, but needs someone to finish and a coach who can encourage him to shoot more. His defense in my opinion has improved a lot over the years, but he still gets a bad rap for it which I do not think is true any more. We saw a lot worse D from many other players on the team.

I think what holds coaches back from playing him higher in the lines is sometimes his stupid shannigans. I am guessing the Hague crap cost him a million per contact year. Just my guess though.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Defense needs to be upgraded. It was pretty blaring.

I am guessing Domi will go back to Chicago, but just a guess. He has a good relationship with Luke Richardson and enjoys playing for him. LR also has the ability to use with his strengths and be able to work with his stupid plays like Hague cross check and punch to the face.

To use him well you definitley need talented players who can finish. I would have loved to see him work with Pavelski more. I would say he is an elite passer and puck mover, but needs someone to finish and a coach who can encourage him to shoot more. His defense in my opinion has improved a lot over the years, but he still gets a bad rap for it which I do not think is true any more. We saw a lot worse D from many other players on the team.

I think what holds coaches back from playing him higher in the lines is sometimes his stupid shannigans. I am guessing the Hague crap cost him a million per contact year. Just my guess though.
I highly doubt Hagues dive will have any bearing on his next contract.

BeaverSports

Mar 3, 2004
It's pretty clear that Dadonov and Domi were critical additions that helped the Stars get where they were - and the loss of Dadonov was big - but I think you have to look at letting them walk, unless Dadonov takes a discount to stay with DeBoer.

You have to look at bringing in ELCs or low-end contracts for forward depth. It's time for guys like Stankoven, Bourque, Damiani, Karlstrom, or Blumel to get their chance.

I say that because it's clear they need to devote cap space to the blue line. Heiskanen and Harley are locks, but beyond that I could move on from anyone. I wish Lindell didn't have a no-move. Hakanpaa doesn't do a lot for me either, and I'm not sure Suter can play as high in the lineup. You definitely need one top-four guy, maybe two. I don't mind Hanley and Miller in limited roles and, though I don't like that he basically lost this year, Lundkvist has to be an option.

Wedgewood is on a fairly reasonable hit, so I don't necessarily see the urgency to change there. If he was healthy, I think he'd have been a good support for Oettinger (who did play far too much).

Reactions: LT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad