Off-season thread

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Biggest question for me going into next season , is which of stankoven or bourque do they bring in ? Or do they bring both in ? Personally , I think both should be in the nhl next year . Try to keep dadonov and domi if we can but if not those 2 spots plus glendenings spot open up . If we fill those spots with elc that gives us some money to spend on the dcore.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Biggest question for me going into next season , is which of stankoven or bourque do they bring in ? Or do they bring both in ? Personally , I think both should be in the nhl next year . Try to keep dadonov and domi if we can but if not those 2 spots plus glendenings spot open up . If we fill those spots with elc that gives us some money to spend on the dcore.
i'd hate to not see mav with the big club next year. have to think stank is close to a lock unless he has a terrible camp.

Reactions: BfantZ
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
Signing free agents has been a very mixed bag as of late, so I really hope the Stars just sit on their little bit of extra cap space this summer. There are several teams that will have to dump cap to fill out a roster, so I'd rather wait until another team gets desperate in September, and then gives us a Devon Toews for two 2nds.

Having space in the regular season to freely call up guys and try everyone out will let us know exactly where the holes are by January, and then that cap space can be used to more easily facilitate trades to plug those holes for another run.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Just a gut feeling, but I think Mav and Stank are both up. It seems like Nill didn't think Stankhoven was that far behind WJ, and Mav ought to be ready. To make any moves, Nill will need cap space, and he almost has to count on some of his talented young forwards to step in, so he can spend money on D somehow. We really need Grushniov or Bischel to have a stand out camp, too.

Reactions: 506, LT and BfantZ

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
If both Bourque and Stankoven are ready for middle-six roles (they very well could be), it would solve a lot of Nill's headaches. Unfortunately, you wont find this out until after the off-season, and if they aren't, you're kind of screwed from Day one.

Maybe you sign Dadonov to a short-term deal and you can ease Stankoven and Bourque into the league...

Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Benn-Johnston-Dadonov
Marchment-Stankoven-Seguin
Faksa*-Dellandrea-Bourque

*-could see Nill attempting to move Faksa to save cap space

Reactions: redbeardtx

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I honestly think they could bring both Stank and Bork in and succeed as long as they go get a solid bottom 6 forward who can PK and produce more than Glendening and Kiviranta combined. And ideally makes at most around 3 million a year. Quite frankly the bar is insanely low and there would be money available to pay better bottom 6 guys while the kids are on their ELCs.

More in the Faksa or Dellandrea range than the Kiviranta and Glendening range for players. Kerfoot or Janmark or someone in that range of production. Ryan Reaves outproduced both of them during the regular season... it gives the team some leeway if Stank and Bork aren't ready.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
I'd be hunting big in off season, get Miros permanent top pairing D partner.

Comes at a price, but think we would have what the 07 Ducks would have with Niedermayer-Pronger.

To Dallas
Colton Parayko (25% retained)

To St Louis
Borque
1st in 24
Miller

St Louis gets a B+ Prospect who's NHL ready and another 1st for their rebuild.

Dallas resign Dadonov and Kivi cheap and Stank straight in.

Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Benn-Johnston-Dadonov
Marchment-Stankovan-Seguin
Kiviranta-Faksa-Dellandrea
Tufte/cheap vet

Heiskanen-Parayko
Lindell- Lundqvist
Harley-Hakanpaa
Suter

Oettinger
Wedgewood

Boom! What a team

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010

Comes at a price, but think we would have what the 07 Ducks would have with Niedermayer-Pronger.

To Dallas

To St Louis
Borque
1st in 24
Miller

Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Benn-Johnston-Dadonov
Tufte/cheap vet

Heiskanen-Parayko
Lindell- Lundqvist
Harley-Hakanpaa
Suter

Oettinger
Wedgewood

Boom! What a team
I'm no good at these, it seems like okay value but I could be convinced of anything.
~5 is still a big chunk to take, but I looked and looked and its not going to be easy.

There's no way we'd try for someone younger like a Dobson or a Severson, right?
Those teams aren't in a position to take a trade like this, riiiiiight?

And then also are we buying someone out? Suter?
I guess pushing Miller and asking them to retain does help. It seems like a pretty big favor to us.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Severson is a UFA this year.

I still think we may have the answer in Lundkvist.

Reactions: JeffP

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South

To Dallas

To St Louis
Borque
1st in 24
Miller

Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Benn-Johnston-Dadonov
Tufte/cheap vet

Heiskanen-Parayko
Lindell- Lundqvist
Harley-Hakanpaa
Suter

Oettinger
Wedgewood

Boom! What a team
i'm no expert, but i see bourque as more than a b+ level guy. he makes everyone around him better and smarter. stupidly good iq and vision.

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario

To Dallas

To St Louis
Borque
1st in 24
Miller

Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Benn-Johnston-Dadonov
Tufte/cheap vet

Heiskanen-Parayko
Lindell- Lundqvist
Harley-Hakanpaa
Suter

Oettinger
Wedgewood

Boom! What a team
I'm not a good judge of value, but I really like Bourque as a prospect (maybe too much) and I have heard Paryako is pretty cooked (but I'm basing that on some STL board posts, dont actually know for sure), so this one kind of hit me the wrong way. I'm wondering if there are better trade targets for less value

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I'd rather not force the issue on blueline changes this offseason, it doesn't seem like there is an easy path to an upgrade with the limited cap space available. Would rather just take our lumps with Suter for another year (hopefully in a lesser role) and see if any improvement in Harley and maybe Lundquist's game can raise the blueline's level up a notch. I expect a very similar D core next year.

Reactions: Satan

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I'd rather not force the issue on blueline changes this offseason, it doesn't seem like there is an easy path to an upgrade with the limited cap space available. Would rather just take our lumps with Suter for another year (hopefully in a lesser role) and see if any improvement in Harley and maybe Lundquist's game can raise the blueline's level up a notch. I expect a very similar D core next year.
Probably so. We do have to remember that they finished 3rd in GAA last year. It's not like they are massively broken, but it needs to be a bit better. Given the cap, it probably going to be a slow off season, but if Nil can dump Dobby and Guri to save salary, I have hope he may be able to find a way to offload Mush, Faksa, and maybe Suter (kick him upstairs) I know they respect Suter, but in the end feelings probably aren't going to be spared if it means the Stars window is reduced.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Didn't Benn do about the same thing he did to mark stone 2 years ago to Larkin?
I could be wrong on that but i think it ended his season.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Screenshot_20230530_215633_Samsung Internet.jpg

Didn't Benn do about the same thing he did to mark stone 2 years ago to Larkin?
I could be wrong on that but i think it ended his season.
It was off a faceoff and it was the back of the neck

Reactions: redbeardtx

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
Heiskanen-XXX
Lindell-Lundkvist
Harley-XXX
#7: Suter/Hakanpaa (Get rid of one of them, preferably Suter but it's likely he is paired with Miro once again FFS)

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I find it amusing how fans are blaming Benn for this game 6 loss, and that they truly believe Dallas would have been better off not playing Jamie.

Reactions: Kipper 17

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
I find it amusing how fans are blaming Benn for this game 6 loss, and that they truly believe Dallas would have been better off not playing Jamie.
Game 6 was not all on Benn. I was on all of them. Dallas would have been better if none of them played. That was an embarrassment. Not sure I could name one positive thing.

That being said Jamie is going nowhere. No need to trade him. He has 2 years left.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Game 6 was not all on Benn. I was on all of them. Dallas would have been better if none of them played. That was an embarrassment. Not sure I could name one positive thing.

That being said Jamie is going nowhere. No need to trade him. He has 2 years left.
Straight up ridiculous for sure. Some fans can be a little too passionate.

Benn is definitely not going anywhere and is most likely going to re-sign after his 2 years is up i’d imagine. Doesn’t sound like he wants to wear another jersey aside from a Stars one.

It’ll probably go down similar to how it went down with LA and Dustin Brown. They’ll turn the C over to another player and let Benn stay an A to finish off his career on a much lower AAV.

Reactions: LT

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Straight up ridiculous for sure. Some fans can be a little too passionate.

Benn is definitely not going anywhere and is most likely going to re-sign after his 2 years is up i’d imagine. Doesn’t sound like he wants to wear another jersey aside from a Stars one.

It’ll probably go down similar to how it went down with LA and Dustin Brown. They’ll turn the C over to another player and let Benn stay an A to finish off his career on a much lower AAV.

Will he turn it over to FuTuRe DaLlAs StArS cApTaIn Ty DeLlAnDrEa???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad