Off-season thread

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
It may be slow, but it's not dead! And neither is Stars coverage. (Well, technically it is, but at least we're coming in with the defibrillators.)

bonus points for, 'imitable.'

minus points for saying benn is a bottom 6 player. bottom 6ers don't put up 33 goals and 78 points. overpaid, sure, but he performed like a top 6 player last year.

bonus points for making me believe harley >> letang, confirmed.

nice read, you're really putting in the work, hope it pays off for ya!

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
At this point, I think we can call "top six" and "bottom six" somewhat fluid. Benn was the 12th-most used forward at even strength, and 6th in all situations. So sure, but he straddles the line a bit.

Not for nothing, but Benn is gonna come crashing down to earth next season. His shooting percentage was bonkers (second best SH% at even strength and on the PP of his career...in both categories), and his defense went from legible to Polak this year. I'll try to do some tape at the Substack, but hey-soos christo it's horrendous.

Not shitting on Benn. For his age, I think he's broken down way more elegantly than a palooka like Lucic, but the warts were showing this year. The power play just masked a lot of it IMO.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
At this point, I think we can call "top six" and "bottom six" somewhat fluid. Benn was the 12th-most used forward at even strength, and 6th in all situations. So sure, but he straddles the line a bit.

Not for nothing, but Benn is gonna come crashing down to earth next season. His shooting percentage was bonkers (second best SH% at even strength and on the PP of his career...in both categories), and his defense went from legible to Polak this year. I'll try to do some tape at the Substack, but hey-soos christo it's horrendous.

Not shitting on Benn. For his age, I think he's broken down way more elegantly than a palooka like Lucic, but the warts were showing this year. The power play just masked a lot of it IMO.
Benn's spot on the #1 PP unit could also get bumped with Duchene joining team. I guess we'll know soon. The PP units they start camp with will be the PP units for the rest of the season.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Johnston will force his way onto PP1 soon enough.

I'm starting to think more in terms of top 9 and shut-down/energy line than the traditional top 6/bottom 6 split. Every contender and team that went deep has three legitimate scoring lines. The league meta is shifting.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South

I'm starting to think more in terms of top 9 and shut-down/energy line than the traditional top 6/bottom 6 split. Every contender and team that went deep has three legitimate scoring lines. The league meta is shifting.
wen nerf goalie pads?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

One of the great benefits of ditching Bowness was getting away from a guy who still thinks there a need for a checking line.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
That Wilson contract will be an LTIR candidate in 3-5 years.

Benn at least was and still is allways healthy enough to play a full season pretty much every year

Reactions: LT
Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
You’re lying to yourself if you dont sign him back in 2016. Plus this teams done great things since the extension was signed. If COVID didnt happen it wouldve aged even better but the flat cap restricted things.
If it aged so well, why has it been regularly voted as one of the worst contracts in the league by both fans and media?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad