Off-season thread

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
What defenseman is worth swinging for the fences? Peitrangelo was a free agent. If there was a guy like that I am down for that but I don’t see one worth it. Is there someone I am missing?
Once you narrow the criteria down to RHD (Lindell, Harley, and ideally Miro are set it and forget it on the left side), your options are really limited. There’s Severson, who’ll blow your budget, and beyond that is basically scrubs and reclamation projects.

Per capfriendly, RHD UFAs playing 19 mins or more per game (low to high)

Kevin Shattenkirk- ANA
Damon Severson- NJD
Justin Holl- TOR
John Klingberg- ANA/MIN
Scott Mayfield- NYI
Matt Dumba- MIN

So unless you wanna free up some cap to then spend on Severson, you might need to trade for a guy. The question then becomes who’s available, which I’m not totally sure on.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Once you narrow the criteria down to RHD (Lindell, Harley, and ideally Miro are set it and forget it on the left side), your options are really limited. There’s Severson, who’ll blow your budget, and beyond that is basically scrubs and reclamation projects.

Kevin Shattenkirk- ANA
Damon Severson- NJD
Justin Holl- TOR
John Klingberg- ANA/MIN
Scott Mayfield- NYI
Matt Dumba- MIN

So unless you wanna free up some cap to then spend on Severson, you might need to trade for a guy. The question then becomes who’s available, which I’m not totally sure on.
what's severson cost?

we can make room if we take advantage of cheap forwards and a suter buyout.. ... i think.

Johno

Deserved it Tour - the sloppy seconds
Oct 30, 2013

Kevin Shattenkirk- ANA
Damon Severson- NJD
Justin Holl- TOR
John Klingberg- ANA/MIN
Scott Mayfield- NYI
Matt Dumba- MIN

I’d go for Mayfield. A better version of Miller and should be an excellent fit with Miro. While he doesn’t or shouldn’t cost a huge amount, he has had very impressive advanced stats to back up his play.

BigTomBomber

Nov 17, 2017

Kevin Shattenkirk- ANA
Damon Severson- NJD
Justin Holl- TOR
John Klingberg- ANA/MIN
Scott Mayfield- NYI
Matt Dumba- MIN

So the offseason plan is to A) hope Nils goes from “#8D on depth chart” to “top 4 playoff caliber” in the offseason and B) find a top pairing RHD in FA that can play 23+ a night and be a collective upgrade over Suter and have a greater impact for the money than a middle 6 forward upgrade, all while squeezing him under the salary cap but outbidding every other team looking to bolster the top 4 ?

That leaves no money to retain the FA or improve the middle 6, who collectively scored 4 points between the 6 players making ~$31m while having multiple defensive miscues. Granted Stankoven should be an adequate replacement (in theory) and Wyatt should improve year 2, but I think the series was lost by the 0+0 by Seguin, Johnston, and Marchment; the latter two not making up for it with solid defensive play.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Suter buyout this offseason. Erik Karlsson at the deadline.

I could write a novel on the problems/complications with this idea, but that doesn't make it any less fun.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Prior to the start of the 2017–18 season, Severson signed a new six-year, $25.2 million contract with the Devils worth $4,166,700 annually. I'm not sure what his ask as a UFA might be, but we can assume it will be at least 10% more, or about $4.5Mil, and probably higher than that, maybe closer to Esa's $5.8 Mil.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
What about moving Esa? $5.8 seems like a ton for a defensive defenseman. At that price you need to be better at moving the puck. Not just throwing it up the boards and feeding the other team.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
career postseason points per game

robertson .85
hintz .78
pavelski .76
benn .75
dadonov .55
domi .51
seguin .44
kiviranta .33
marchment .32
faksa .26
glendening .20

yeeeesh Seguin

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
I'm starting to wonder if Nill will circle back for a Klinger reunion. If so, I wouldn't be too opposed to it depending on term/aav and that Klinger will be on PP2

Reactions: Jackattack030

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
I'm starting to wonder if Nill will circle back for a Klinger reunion. If so, I wouldn't be too opposed to it depending on term/aav and that Klinger will be on PP2
It could be interesting.
And it fixes the Miller and Suter problem.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'd be hunting big in off season, get Miros permanent top pairing D partner.

Comes at a price, but think we would have what the 07 Ducks would have with Niedermayer-Pronger.

To Dallas
Colton Parayko (25% retained)

To St Louis
Borque
1st in 24
Miller

St Louis gets a B+ Prospect who's NHL ready and another 1st for their rebuild.

Dallas resign Dadonov and Kivi cheap and Stank straight in.

Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Benn-Johnston-Dadonov
Marchment-Stankovan-Seguin
Kiviranta-Faksa-Dellandrea
Tufte/cheap vet

Heiskanen-Parayko
Lindell- Lundqvist
Harley-Hakanpaa
Suter

Oettinger
Wedgewood

Boom! What a team
Hard to see blues retaining for so long. Would I expect cost significantly more than bourque and 24 1st if they did.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
It will be hard to find a true impact D guy that we can afford, either in $$$ or maybe even young assets. There is no way Kivi, Luke, etc. and our grinders is going to net much. It would have to be Stank, Mav, Grush, or Bishel as a main piece, plus a lot of other stuff.

The most likely scenario is another Miller type signing, not really top D, but affordable.

Arkham32

Nov 9, 2012
Just messing around and slightly over the cap with stalock on the roster but how would you guys feel with a offseason like this Bourque/Stankoven being interchangeable dependent on who wins the job in pre season

Buyout Suter

Dadonov 3.00x2
Mayfield 3.00x3
Dellandrea 1.5x3
Olofson 775Kx1
Stalock 775Kx1

1685720871331.png

Last edited:

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Here's a basic plan to fit Karlsson's full cap in 24/25. It requires trading both Marchment and Faksa. Marchment would have 2 years left and a 10 team NTC, Faksa has one year and a 5 team NTC. Faksa might not cost much if anything, Marchment would cost a draft pick to dump unless he rebounds.

These are depth charts and not lines. I'm assuming Pavelski is okay with pushing more of his salary into performance bonuses, and that is assuming he doesn't retire by this point. AFAIK the CBA does not limit bonuses for 35+ contracts. The cap situation the year after is much easier with Benn, Lindell, Faksa all expiring. Optimally, the team would save cap this year to minimize carryover bonus overages. This is tough because Lundkvist and Harley have bonus heavy contracts (not sure on the specifics of their bonuses) as well as Pavelski whose bonuses are basically automatic.

Where this gets really exciting is if somehow one of Benn or Seguin is able to spend the next regular season on IR, this contract can be added without breaking up the band. It's the same core as this year + Karlsson, Stankoven, Bourque. This is kind of a pipe dream because you can't force a player to get surgery, but we also don't know their medical details and they could be putting something off because the recovery time is too long. Well now's the chance!

Even if we can't pull a TBL/VGK the team could always pivot into the first roster for a season. The depth is weak and it probably fails to get the job done, but the roster in years 1 and 3 of Karlsson's remaining deal could be extremely strong.

I haven't considered the assets needed to get Karlsson. That's why Bourque is penciled in. The only prospect given real responsibility here is Stankoven, and I'd guess he's untouchable even for Karlsson. All the contracts I made up are highlighted. This is the opening roster for the season after next. This upcoming offseason would be all about saving cap for Karlsson's partial cap hit and any potential bonus overages. I'm also assuming the cap continues to increase as projected. The main reason this is viable is the post pandemic cap bouceback.

Attachments

• cap.png
    cap.png
    32.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Klockis

Loyalty personified
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
It's never gonna happen but a Heiskanen-Karlsson pairing would be so dirty. They're probably my two favorite defensemen of all time aswell.

Screw @hairylikebear for making me excited for something that will never happen.

Reactions: Sports2 and LT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad