Off-season thread

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I'm not sure you bring in anyone at all in the forward group (other than making an exception for Kivi if he's cheap) or bring back the trade deadline guys. I'd focus every spare resource on finding a functional defender.

Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Benn-Johnston-Stankoven
Marchment-Bourque-Seguin
Kiviranta-Faksa-Dellandrea

You can roll with that no problems and never look back

Don't believe personally that Stankoven needs to ever set foot in the AHL and 1 year should be sufficient for Mavrik

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Might mean nothing, but Domi posted on social media saying Thank You, Dallas.

Might also mean his camp and Dallas camp have discussed and realise the difference between salary and what he wants could be too much and agree to part ways.

His projected cap/term is $4.6M for three years. That would look great without the Marchment contract on the books, but with the defense they need to think about, he's as good as gone. As much as I personally like Domi, I don't think he'd viewed as favorably if it weren't for the Seattle series. And he's just asking to be wasted if they still believe Marchment and Seguin should remain a thing.

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
His projected cap/term is $4.6M for three years. That would look great without the Marchment contract on the books, but with the defense they need to think about, he's as good as gone. As much as I personally like Domi, I don't think he'd viewed as favorably if it weren't for the Seattle series. And he's just asking to be wasted if they still believe Marchment and Seguin should remain a thing.
To that point, DeBoer essentially set 80% of the forward lines in training camp (top line, Marchment-Seguin, Benn-Johnston, Faksa-Glendening) and kept them in place the entire season and playoffs. Makes me wonder if we should expect this to carry forward as is next season. Does he already have those carved in stone?

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Thats alot of money for an at this point career high of 43 points . Potential is there no doubt but thats alot of coin up front

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I'm not sure you bring in anyone at all in the forward group (other than making an exception for Kivi if he's cheap) or bring back the trade deadline guys. I'd focus every spare resource on finding a functional defender.

Robertson-Hintz-Pavelski
Benn-Johnston-Stankoven
Marchment-Bourque-Seguin
Kiviranta-Faksa-Dellandrea

You can roll with that no problems and never look back

Don't believe personally that Stankoven needs to ever set foot in the AHL and 1 year should be sufficient for Mavrik

I would hope that they give Studenic another shot and see if he can be more productive during the regular season than Kivi has been.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I think Dallas will prioritize penalty killing with their forward targets this year. Glendening and Kivi ate a lot of PK minutes and it would be weird to see them depart without replacements. Having said that, I would be cool with a Kivi return, maybe with a slight pay-cut.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He'd be a fun player to get but Stars obviously can't afford someone like him right now

Jul 4, 2010
New Brunswick
I think we are all on board for Suter to be bought out. Would give us roughly $10.1 million in cap room. My priorities would go Defense -> Goalie -> Forwards.

Defense - I'd like to see us trade Miller and target either Mayfield or Gudas to play beside Miro, and either bring back Hanley or another depth D for #7 spot (maybe De Haan). I don't think Mayfield or Gudas would break the bank, and would fit well with what we having coming up the pipeline.

Mayfield - 3x$3 million or Gudas - 2x$3 million
Hanley or De Haan 1x$0.85 million

Heiskanen - Mayfield/Gudas
Lindell - Lundkvist
Harley - Hakanpaa
Hanley/De Haan

Total Spend - $3.85 million

Goalie - I know Wedgewood has been solid for us, but I think we either add some better depth behind him. Some interesting targets out there. Raanta would be a clear upgrade and would give us a #1B situation IMO, but the cost may be too much. It would allow us to feel more comfortable giving Otter more rest. If he is outside of our price range, there are 3 guys that I think could be interesting lottery tickets. Blackwood, Nedeljkovic and Vladar. All would require a trade, and are riskier but the upside could be better than Wedgewood. If we wanted to bring in a #3 I think we could target Dell, Rittich or Stalock and have them sit in Texas.

Raanta - 2x$3.5 million / Blackwood, Nedeljkovic, Vladar would require trades (minor pieces for Blackwood and Nedeljkovic, something more for Vladar is my guess) / Dell or Rittich or Stalock 1x$0.85 million

Forwards - Most spots available, but to me least amount of focus out of the 3 groups, with Bourque and Stankoven on the way. If we want to keep Domi, Faksa needs to move. Not sure we do this but looking at how these two teams in the finals are structured, 4 lines deep, fast, hard forechecking. Domi would bring more speed and offensive than Faksa. I wouldn’t mind seeing us moving Faksa in order to keep Domi, but I highly doubt it happens. We should bring back Dadonov, and then let some of our younger guys battle it out for the last spots on the roster. (My unrealistic dream is to find a way to trade Faksa+ for Elias Lindholm and have a true 4 headed monster down the middle. Hintz - Lindholm - WJ - Seguin :naughty:)

Dadonov - 1x$2.25 million

What I would like to see us do:

Sign Mayfield & De Haan - total $3.85 million
Trade Miller & pick to Calgary for Vladar - total add in cap hit of $0.35 million
Sign Dadonov - total $2.25 million

Total Spend - $6.45 million

Left over cap - $3.65 million for Dellandrea, Olofsson, Studenic and others

Robo - Hintz - Pavelski
Marchment - Seguin - X
Benn - WJ - Dadonov
X - Faksa - Dellandrea
X - X

Battling for 4 forward spots:
Stankoven
Bourque
Blumel
Olofsson
Back
Studenic

Heiskanen - Mayfield
Lindell - Lundkvist
Harley - Hakanpaa
De Haan

Otter
Vladar
Wedgewood

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I really think Severson is the play here. Spend what it takes and get him before free agency opens. Devils fans are about to lose him and they still all say he's good. Imagine us describing one of our non-Miro defensemen as "good" :laugh:

Miro-Severson
Lindell-Lundkvist
Harley-Hakanpaa

The way is still clear for Bichsel to take Hakanpaa's place/role in time.

Reactions: Dallasman

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Just adding a couple goalies to the wish list. Semyon Varlamov and Joey Daccord.

Varlamov's offseason house is in Lubbock, might get a bit of a hometown discount and he's still playing pretty well behind a really over-rated Islander defense. I'll bet he signs for 2 years, $2.5 million-ish AAV. He'd be one of the league's better backups/ 1B options.

Joey Daccord is coming off a couple really stellar years in the AHL and about to backstop Coachella Valley to the Calder Cup final. Very young for a UFA, think you could get him for under a million on a 1-way and have him battle Wedgewood for the backup job in camp. Worst case scenario, he loses the job to Wedgewood and Texas gets one of the AHL's top goalies.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
To that point, DeBoer essentially set 80% of the forward lines in training camp (top line, Marchment-Seguin, Benn-Johnston, Faksa-Glendening) and kept them in place the entire season and playoffs. Makes me wonder if we should expect this to carry forward as is next season. Does he already have those carved in stone?

What "choice" does he have? Nobody wants to split up the Hintz line, and Benn and Johnston are set in stone. Marchment and Seguin are stuck with each other because they're leftovers. I'm not ready to call Marchment a bust, but he's ice skating uphill as long as they're a thing.

Re: Damon Severson. Player analysis usually comes down to Things I Remember Seeing as opposed to Things My Brain Has Thought Through. Severson has great puck skills, and can drive play. But he also makes big mistakes. I suspect the main board is using the former rather than the latter as their player analysis.

Reactions: LT

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Walker to Philly in a three way deal w LA and Columbus. Would’ve given him a look for our top 4.

Edit: he stinks. My bad.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
the main board thread on severson isn't nearly as rosy as i would've guessed considering the lust here.
It's a context thing.
He's got warts to his game for sure, but he's overall a positive impact player.
He's also an RD.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Re: Damon Severson

14/15: expected goal % = 48.8% actual goal % = 42.6%
15/16: expected goal % = 47.6% actual goal % = 46.8%
16/17: expected goal % = 48.6% actual goal % = 41.9%
17/18: expected goal % = 48.5% actual goal % = 47.1%
18/19: expected goal % = 47.7% actual goal % = 43.3%
19/20: expected goal % = 48.5% actual goal % = 42.3%
20/21: expected goal % = 51.8% actual goal % = 46.4%
21/22: expected goal % = 50.5% actual goal % = 47.2%
22/23: expected goal % = 60.1% actual goal % = 54.5%

9 straight years where he has vastly underperformed his fancy stats. He's not as good as the models suggest. Goaltending and situation are partly to blame as well, but don't let the pretty charts fool you. He's a okay defenseman, but his actual on ice results trail very far behind his theoretical. Him behind prone to "the big mistake" does cost him defensively and his elite level puck moving doesn't result in nearly as many goals as it should.

Buyer beware

Reactions: LT

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
Meh not interested in severson. I would like mayfield and he will be cheaper than severson.

Hope Nill can pull off a massive trade. Need the vintage Jim Nill of old.

• Haha
Reactions: starsfan86

Jul 4, 2010
New Brunswick
Severson is projected by Seravalli for 6x $6.1 million, it ain't happening here unfortunetly, unless we trade Faksa along with buying Suter out.

Here are some other projections of interest:

Domi 5x $4.75 million
Barbashev 4x $4.2 million
Dadonov 1x $1.9 million
Fast 2x $2.3 million
Bjugstad 2x $2.3 million
Monahan 1x $2 million
Drouin 1x $2 million

Mayfield 3x $3.75 million
Gudas 3x $3.3 million
Schenn 1x $1.6 million
Clifton 2x $1.75 million

Varlamov 2x $2.75 million
Korpisalo 2x $2.6 million

I would like to see us get either Mayfield or Gudas (don't love the 3rd year with Gudas) and then focus on beefing up our goalie depth. There wasn't a projection for Raanta, but any of Raanta, Varlamov or Korpisalo would make me feel more comfortable over Wedgewood. (Or a trade for Vladar, Blackwood or Nedeljkovic as lottery tickets on top of Wedgewood)

Up front I think we will offer Daddy, but at that price I almost wouldn't mind taking a swing on Drouin... the upside could still be there, I mean look what happened when Dadonov came over from Montreal? Only want to bring one of them. If we end up moving Faksa I wouldn't mind seeing Monahan as a replacement. Let's get one lottery ticket this offseason Jimmy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad