Off-season thread

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Dadonov
Mayfield
Borque
Stankoven

Add those 4 to the roster, with most of this year's team returning and go again.

Wish we could keep Domi but so be it

Johno

Deserved it Tour - the sloppy seconds
Oct 30, 2013
Travis Konecny would be a great addition. Probably a sizeable a price though.

Great fit for that future window

Well that is someone you'd be okay paying the price for.
Doesn't look like Philly is trying to compete too much so it should be fairly easy to move salary their way as well.

Potential extension also would kick in when Benn, Lindell, Faksa and Suter come off the books.

Reactions: catters078

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Would love to somehow get Domi under contract. As much as I like Dadonov, the Stars will have too many right shooters if Stank and Mavrik make it (which I believe they both will). Domi fits perfectly in our top 9 and can take the left side. Signing Domi though would essentially mean Nill is giving up on Marchment which unfortunately I don't see happening.

If Marchment showed some promise then the discussion of adding a top 9 F wouldn't be happening, but unfortunately aside from his hot start he struggled to even stay on his feet.

Would love to see the Stars ice this top 9 come October
Robo-Hintz-Pavs
Benn-Johnston-Bourque
Domi-Seguin-Stankoven

Really interested to see how Nill will approach this offseason. In one hand only having one of Stank/Mavrik + an established top 9 forward is probably a more conservative move to win next year. On the other hand, letting both rookies play could backfire and force Nill to make a move later in the year to salvage a playoff spot, and Nill may not want to take that risk seeing that the end is near for some of our vet guys. Mainly Pavs.

I haven't even touched on the D yet which clearly needs some adjusting. Oh the joy of the offseason.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Would love to somehow get Domi under contract. As much as I like Dadonov, the Stars will have too many right shooters if Stank and Mavrik make it (which I believe they both will). Domi fits perfectly in our top 9 and can take the left side. Signing Domi though would essentially mean Nill is giving up on Marchment which unfortunately I don't see happening.

If Marchment showed some promise then the discussion of adding a top 9 F wouldn't be happening, but unfortunately aside from his hot start he struggled to even stay on his feet.

Would love to see the Stars ice this top 9 come October
Robo-Hintz-Pavs
Benn-Johnston-Bourque
Domi-Seguin-Stankoven

Really interested to see how Nill will approach this offseason. In one hand only having one of Stank/Mavrik + an established top 9 forward is probably a more conservative move to win next year. On the other hand, letting both rookies play could backfire and force Nill to make a move later in the year to salvage a playoff spot, and Nill may not want to take that risk seeing that the end is near for some of our vet guys. Mainly Pavs.

I haven't even touched on the D yet which clearly needs some adjusting. Oh the joy of the offseason.
or..... "I like where our team is at" and do nothing

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Might as well share this one. It's 3000 words but it's not like we're doing anything else. Curious what others think about these names (or those I missed).

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Might as well share this one. It's 3000 words but it's not like we're doing anything else. Curious what others think about these names (or those I missed).
great work, interesting read.
i'm not sure if anyone can instantly fix march though..

also, not interested in counting on mav?

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I would give up the farm for Ehlers.

Reactions: redbeardtx

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
also, not interested in counting on mav?

I actually thought Bourque had the highest potential of their vaunted trio. I love his style too. He's like Domi without the speed, but plus the brains. I just don't see Nill having the stomach for two rookies. Sean even mentioned it on a podcast or D that, even ignoring Gaglardi and Kamloops, they weren't gonna take the chance of having Johnston and Stankoven on the roster at the same time. Too much inexperience. So he's definitely an x-factor, but only if serious injuries hit.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
I actually thought Bourque had the highest potential of their vaunted trio. I love his style too. He's like Domi without the speed, but plus the brains. I just don't see Nill having the stomach for two rookies. Sean even mentioned it on a podcast or D that, even ignoring Gaglardi and Kamloops, they weren't gonna take the chance of having Johnston and Stankoven on the roster at the same time. Too much inexperience. So he's definitely an x-factor, but only if serious injuries hit.
yeah, i think that's fair, but here's my receipt.. they both make the squad next season.

mav having gone through a year in the A is different than coming straight out of juniors. plus, the success of wyatt will be fresh in their minds.

believe!

also, i think the hard to quantify part of bourque's game is just how he makes everyone better. really looking forward to seeing that influence on the team.

Reactions: Hull Fan

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
That is such a cop out. One of the most "experienced" players on the roster is directly responsible for several of the most egregious mistakes made this year, some of which directly caused losses, including games in the WCF.
It would be one thing to not want 2 rookies on the blueline at the same time, you can't have a 1/3rd of your d-core making Suter mistakes. Though for most of the season we essentially did with Lundkvist and Suter

BigTomBomber

Nov 17, 2017
I think we are all on board for Suter to be bought out. Would give us roughly $10.1 million in cap room. My priorities would go Defense -> Goalie -> Forwards.

Defense - I'd like to see us trade Miller and target either Mayfield or Gudas to play beside Miro, and either bring back Hanley or another depth D for #7 spot (maybe De Haan). I don't think Mayfield or Gudas would break the bank, and would fit well with what we having coming up the pipeline.

Mayfield - 3x$3 million or Gudas - 2x$3 million
Hanley or De Haan 1x$0.85 million

Heiskanen - Mayfield/Gudas
Lindell - Lundkvist
Harley - Hakanpaa
Hanley/De Haan

Total Spend - $3.85 million

Goalie - I know Wedgewood has been solid for us, but I think we either add some better depth behind him. Some interesting targets out there. Raanta would be a clear upgrade and would give us a #1B situation IMO, but the cost may be too much. It would allow us to feel more comfortable giving Otter more rest. If he is outside of our price range, there are 3 guys that I think could be interesting lottery tickets. Blackwood, Nedeljkovic and Vladar. All would require a trade, and are riskier but the upside could be better than Wedgewood. If we wanted to bring in a #3 I think we could target Dell, Rittich or Stalock and have them sit in Texas.

Raanta - 2x$3.5 million / Blackwood, Nedeljkovic, Vladar would require trades (minor pieces for Blackwood and Nedeljkovic, something more for Vladar is my guess) / Dell or Rittich or Stalock 1x$0.85 million

Forwards - Most spots available, but to me least amount of focus out of the 3 groups, with Bourque and Stankoven on the way. If we want to keep Domi, Faksa needs to move. Not sure we do this but looking at how these two teams in the finals are structured, 4 lines deep, fast, hard forechecking. Domi would bring more speed and offensive than Faksa. I wouldn’t mind seeing us moving Faksa in order to keep Domi, but I highly doubt it happens. We should bring back Dadonov, and then let some of our younger guys battle it out for the last spots on the roster. (My unrealistic dream is to find a way to trade Faksa+ for Elias Lindholm and have a true 4 headed monster down the middle. Hintz - Lindholm - WJ - Seguin :naughty:)

Dadonov - 1x$2.25 million

What I would like to see us do:

Sign Mayfield & De Haan - total $3.85 million
Trade Miller & pick to Calgary for Vladar - total add in cap hit of $0.35 million
Sign Dadonov - total $2.25 million

Total Spend - $6.45 million

Left over cap - $3.65 million for Dellandrea, Olofsson, Studenic and others

Robo - Hintz - Pavelski
Marchment - Seguin - X
Benn - WJ - Dadonov
X - Faksa - Dellandrea
X - X

Battling for 4 forward spots:
Stankoven
Bourque
Blumel
Olofsson
Back
Studenic

Heiskanen - Mayfield
Lindell - Lundkvist
Harley - Hakanpaa
De Haan

Otter
Vladar
Wedgewood

Alot of these assumptions seem pretty generous $$ wise - Dellandrea isnt being re-signed for ~$900k. 28pts in 82g for his first season at age 22 is pretty solid for a former 1st rd pick. Would like to see Dadanov back but unless he’s willing to tske a serious discount + incentive contract (to defer some cap) I just can’t see that as well as improving the right side of the defense

I do think Miller is traded and a defenseman brought in -

Lindel / Miro
Harley / FA (Mayfield?)
Suter / Lundkvist
X: hakanpaa

- and the forward group to rely on Stank / Bourque. I think the endgame will be to accrue maximum space for a 1-2 TDL players. I think the forward group can be good enough to get through 50 games -

Top line
Marchment / Bourque / Seguin
Benn / Johnston / Stankoven
Karlstrom / FakSa / Dellandrea
X: oloffson, blumel (w)

And then the need(s) filled depending on how the kids and Marchment are doing

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I think Dellandrea should make around $1.5 million a season on a 2-3 years bridge deal. Lot of contract comparables in that range. Guys like Hagel, Rasmussen, Luostarinen and Texier in recent years. Dellandrea's agent could make the case for a little more then that but Nill has done a pretty good job getting bridge deals done at team friendly cap hits.

Jul 4, 2010
New Brunswick
Alot of these assumptions seem pretty generous $$ wise - Dellandrea isnt being re-signed for ~$900k. 28pts in 82g for his first season at age 22 is pretty solid for a former 1st rd pick.

Even with $3.65 million left, that gives us plenty of room for Delly around $1.5 - $2 million.

I may be slightly short on Mayfield/Gudas, but I think I may be over estimating on Dadonov and Raanta.

Where do you see them coming in at?

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I'd like to explore a Suter to Chicago trade. He's from just up the road in Madison, think he still lives there in the offseason. Chicago has more cap space then they know what to do with (just overpaid for Athanasiou) and only have Caleb Jones and Jerrad Tinordi on the LHD depth chart.

Maybe a tad optimistic, but Chicago might be the only team in hockey I could see him waiving for. If you let Suter know his role might be diminishing here, maybe he'd rather munch minutes closer to home on a rebuilding team.

Reactions: Sports2

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I'd like to explore a Suter to Chicago trade. He's from just up the road in Madison, think he still lives there in the offseason. Chicago has more cap space then they know what to do with (just overpaid for Athanasiou) and only have Caleb Jones and Jerrad Tinordi on the LHD depth chart.

Maybe a tad optimistic, but Chicago might be the only team in hockey I could see him waiving for. If you let Suter know his role might be diminishing here, maybe he'd rather munch minutes closer to home on a rebuilding team.
I'm sure he'll stay here where he thinks he can win a Cup.

Reactions: LT

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
the sens version of skygodz strikes
He deleted it because he was getting clowned on, but he followed it up with a proposal of Wyatt, Dellandrea, and our 2nd for Cat. Extremely good shit

For the record, I think I pass ten times outta ten at even the expected cost. Having Stankoven and Wyatt at less than 2 combined >>>> Debrincat for a year and then like 8x8

SolidusAKA

Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Ok, but hear me out.
- trade Marchment and Delly for Debrincat
- buyout Suter
- Sign Daddy, Mayfield

Robertson - Hintz - Pavelski
Debrincat - Seguin - Stankoven
Benn - Johnston - Daddy
Olofsson - Faksa - Bourque
Blumel