Off-season thread

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Any chance Columbus moves one of many RHDs that they have? Peeke? Boqvist?

I'm not sure Peeke has that much value but I'd guess they just move him for a pick. But I'd guess that Boqvist will stay for now.

Werenski (if not dead) - Severson
Provorov - Boqvist
Bean (if not dead) - Gudbranson

They could just keep Peeke too, and move both when/if their rather impressive D pool is ready for the show.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Yeahh honestly this might be an extremely boring offseason for us. Would not be surprised to see nothing but extremely minor depth moves. Glendening/Hanley level pieces in free agency

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Yeahh honestly this might be an extremely boring offseason for us. Would not be surprised to see nothing but extremely minor depth moves. Glendening/Hanley level pieces in free agency
the more boring it is, the more likely we get more kids in the lineup. i'm totally on board with waiting for the TDL to do anything big.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
I’ll be a little frustrated if they don’t tweak the defense at the very least to give Lundkvist consistent time, but for the most part there’s nothing wrong with running back the forward group/goalies.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
OK, no thank you on the 8 years. That's franchise cornerstone term. Surprised guys still want to go to Columbus.

Klockis

Loyalty personified
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
I’ll be a little frustrated if they don’t tweak the defense at the very least to give Lundkvist consistent time, but for the most part there’s nothing wrong with running back the forward group/goalies.
If they don't give Lundkvist consistent time this season you have to question why they even acquired him.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Working on some draft profiles for DBD. Here's the working list so far
Andrew Gibson
Koehn Ziemmer
Beau Akey
Hunter Brzustewicz
Andrew Cristall
Gracyn Sawychyn (no way he's available but still)
Cameron Allen
Adam Gajan
(still working on adding to it)

Anyone from this list you've got google eyes for? Anyone that would piss you off if picked?

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
Working on some draft profiles for DBD. Here's the working list so far
Andrew Gibson
Koehn Ziemmer
Beau Akey
Hunter Brzustewicz
Andrew Cristall
Gracyn Sawychyn (no way he's available but still)
Cameron Allen
Adam Gajan
(still working on adding to it)

Anyone from this list you've got google eyes for? Anyone that would piss you off if picked?
Easton Cowan and Denver Barkey would be great pickups. I think Barkey's size could push him down the board for us to select in later rounds.

Brzustewicz and Allen are hard 'mehs' for me. Allen in particular took a big step back this year from his 16yo season and Brzustewicz didn't regularly stand out for me when I watched him play--and as a late birthday he really should.

Reactions: David Castillo

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I totally disagree with you about about Brzustewicz, but on everything else? Same. Kind of hyper focused on D because I don't think they're quite done shotgun drafting them, but Cowan and Barkey would be hype.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Connor Levis seems like a guy we'll have our eyes on. Largely because he plays for Kamloops, but he still seems like a good pick up in a mid-to-late round.

I like Ziemmer and Cristall a lot, but I don't think there's any way either will be available to us without a trade.

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
We’ll be trading up into the late first to draft Gulyayev. Stay tuned for the official WhatsApp press release.

Starry Knight

Tele-Wyatt
Jun 9, 2013
KW
I totally disagree with you about about Brzustewicz, but on everything else? Same. Kind of hyper focused on D because I don't think they're quite done shotgun drafting them, but Cowan and Barkey would be hype.

Part of it could be that I'd only watch the Rangers getting steamrolled by the Knights all season, so he probably didn't have the best showings relative to his overall ability. The Rangers were also very poorly coached the majority of the season, so anyone suiting up for them underperformed for the most part.

That being said, I feel like he needed to 'wow' me more than he did given two factors working against him: being only 6' as a defenceman and being a late birthday. He was much less impressive than Michael Buchinger, another '04 D with a similar overall profile, and I still feel that Buchinger is a 2nd/3rd round tweener prospect. If we had a third, I'd be much more interested in Brzustewicz then, but I wouldn't be up-in-arms if we did select him with the second rounder.

I also generally feel that late 2nds are a great time to swing for the fences on high-skilled players that have slipped through the cracks due to circumstance (or idiocy of scouts--Stankoven) than more safe and well-rounded types such as Brzustewicz.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
Beau Akey seems super intriguing to me.

I like reading the different scouting reports from the more traditional scouts who've been doing it a long time. The reports usually read something to the effect of "really good offensively, but he needs to iron out the defense a bit to reach his 2-way upside" whereas the newer scouts are more like "yeah, his offense is decent, but his rush defense is tremendous." Mitch Brown's player tracking had him as stopping the highest % of rushes of any draft eligible he's ever tracked (400+ prospects). Probably lacks a bit of polish in defending overall, he could learn to switch off a bit more and added strength will help with net front box outs. Overall, he's got a super intriguing base to work from in the defensive zone.

The skating is a fun hypothetical too. Plus-level mobility in all four directions, really fluid, great edges but his straight line mechanics are pretty mediocre (average ankle flexion, doesn't extend fully). Seems like a skating coach could really unlock something there.

It takes a bit of imagination, but I could see a top pairing defenseman there. I get serious TJ Brodie vibes watching him defend off the rush.

____

I'd pass on Cameron Allen. Late round flyer? sure why not. But no way I'm touching him in the 2nd.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
If they don't give Lundkvist consistent time this season you have to question why they even acquired him.
I think we've seen enough of Nill's tenure to understand that the right hand (front office) often doesn't know or care what the left hand (coaching staff) is doing.

Nill is from the old school of "I buy the groceries, they cook the meal". Which is how you end up with the dizzying confusion of the organization spending their premium asset on an offensive defenseman and the coach turning around and saying "I don't play offensive defensemen in the playoffs lol"

Reactions: Klockis

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
What are the cap implications if Suter retires?
My understanding is it's calculated using the 'cap advantage' gained by retirement, which is basically the difference between cap hit and the yearly amount actually paid to the player. That amount is divided by the remaining term at the time of retirement.

If this is accurate, Suter has been paid $6M over 2 years, but had a cap hit of $7.3M over those 2 years, so his recapture 'penalty' should be -650k for 2 more years.

So in plain English, the Stars would be free from Suter's cap hit and get 650k in bonus cap space for 2 years.

Reactions: 506 and redbeardtx

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
My understanding is it's calculated using the 'cap advantage' gained by retirement, which is basically the difference between cap hit and the yearly amount actually paid to the player. That amount is divided by the remaining term at the time of retirement.

If this is accurate, Suter has been paid $6M over 2 years, but had a cap hit of $7.3M over those 2 years, so his recapture 'penalty' should be -650k for 2 more years.

So in plain English, the Stars would be free from Suter's cap hit and get 650k in bonus cap space for 2 years.

I thought recapture only applied to contracts signed before the current CBA.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
I thought recapture only applied to contracts signed before the current CBA.
I'm guessing this is in reference to:

(A) For any SPC entered into prior to the execution date of this Agreement (including any binding Memorandum of Understanding) that has a term in excess of six (6) League Years ("Long-Term Contracts"), the Averaged Amount of such LongTerm Contracts shall be calculated and included in a Club's Averaged Club Salary in accordance with Section 50.5(d)(ii) above so long as the Player is playing or is injured and is being paid pursuant to his SPC.

They needed to agree on this before they could apply anything to existing contracts. The next section describes the recapture process for future contracts signed after ratification.

Page 265

I'm pretty bad with this legal shit so I could be misinterpreting.

Reactions: LT

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad