Off-season thread

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I'm taking my chances on the forwards. Stankoven and Bourque deserve every chance at camp this September. Dallas has to focus on D, but I also want a good, fast pk'er for the 4th line. I have no problem with Olofsson coming in for Kivi. They absolutely need an upgrade on Glendenning.

The easiest way to clear space is to buyout Suter, trade Miller, and find a taker for Faska. Faska isn't terrible but he's overpaid and if Dallas has any hope of adding salary for a dman he's the easiest one they can move. His short contract length and only 5 team NTC is possible to work around unlike Benn or Seguin.

At his age there's no way I would give Dadanov more than a year or over $2.25m. I like him but he coasted all season in Montreal till he got here. At his age can he/will he show up all 82 games plus more playoffs? I'm not willing to bet that.

I'm of the opinion Dellandrea is fools' gold. Problem is he's not worth much on the trade market. Only a team against the cap that has a better projection for him than I do would take him but maybe Tampa Bay or someone might be willing to pull the trigger for Ross.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
oof, validation for some of you:

i kept thinking we could just reduce suter's minutes and pairings, but i think someone mentioned we need to take him away from pdb as an option or hed end up getting played over youth.
this is shapiro basically just saying the latter

Reactions: Hull Fan and LT

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I'm taking my chances on the forwards. Stankoven and Bourque deserve every chance at camp this September. Dallas has to focus on D, but I also want a good, fast pk'er for the 4th line. I have no problem with Olofsson coming in for Kivi. They absolutely need an upgrade on Glendenning.

The easiest way to clear space is to buyout Suter, trade Miller, and find a taker for Faska. Faska isn't terrible but he's overpaid and if Dallas has any hope of adding salary for a dman he's the easiest one they can move. His short contract length and only 5 team NTC is possible to work around unlike Benn or Seguin.

At his age there's no way I would give Dadanov more than a year or over $2.25m. I like him but he coasted all season in Montreal till he got here. At his age can he/will he show up all 82 games plus more playoffs? I'm not willing to bet that.

I'm of the opinion Dellandrea is fools' gold. Problem is he's not worth much on the trade market. Only a team against the cap that has a better projection for him than I do would take him but maybe Tampa Bay or someone might be willing to pull the trigger for Ross.

We can just relax on moving Faksa when there's bigger issues at hand. Yes, I think the only thing they need is a mid aged top 4 RHD who can move the puck and another bottom 6 30 point PKing forward.

48hrs from the Suter buyout window

And yes it would be nice to buyout Suter but then you need a more reliable partner to offset Lundkvists sheltered defensive minutes, which, they can't afford at the price of Suter. And Lindell needs a more reliable offensive partner to keep the puck off his stick, so then you just make a new hole that needs to be filled.

I would personally think a move like Seguin for an extended Pesce would be good for the future of the club with the potential rise of many of the young forwards in the system, and a lack of immediate impact young Dmen outside of Lundkvist. Unless we want the headache of Tony DeAngelo. The biggest issue right now is Severson's contract, which was outrageous for a top 4 PMD. It makes top 4 RHD PMDs cost 6m+, which really hamstrings Dallas without moving some cap hit. Moving Faksa doesn't create enough imo, based on replacement cost, and the only money that would make sense (Seguin, Benn, Lindell size contracts) to move has NMCs.

Nill /needs/ to do something because they didn't win it all this year, and /has/ to do something because of the natural progression of organizational assets.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
idk why we keep talking about moving players with NMCs. especially when they have terrible cap hits and haven't asked to be moved.
in what world does this work?

Yep. There are very few tradable assets on the roster itself. The ones we can move are guys that will probably garner little to no interest.

It's most likely going to be a boring offseason.

Reactions: redbeardtx

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
idk why we keep talking about moving players with NMCs. especially when they have terrible cap hits and haven't asked to be moved.
in what world does this work?

At some point push comes to shove. In reality, we're going to see them do little with the money they have available, which is probably 4-5 million in cap hit if they get two kids and a cheap 4th liner on the roster. So they will gamble on a 4 million dollar body because unfortunately they can't build a lineup like Vegas or St Louis that has a very equitable and useful distribution of players that don't need to be constantly sheltered or end up overexposed.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
At some point push comes to shove. In reality, we're going to see them do little with the money they have available, which is probably 4-5 million in cap hit if they get two kids and a cheap 4th liner on the roster. So they will gamble on a 4 million dollar body because unfortunately they can't build a lineup like Vegas or St Louis that has a very equitable and useful distribution of players that don't need to be constantly sheltered or end up overexposed.
what i'm asking is, 'what can be shoved?'

your options are stupidly limited by what the player wants, and then assuming you overcome that hurdle, having to deal with only one, or maybe a few teams knowing that they aren't bidding against anyone. not to mention having to either retain or grossly overpay to move someone. (like seguin)

i guess it's a message board and the offseason, so it's the time for wild speculation, but thinking we can move someone like seguin and not get completely bent over is really, really out there.

Reactions: redbeardtx

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yep. There are very few tradable assets on the roster itself. The ones we can move are guys that will probably garner little to no interest.

It's most likely going to be a boring offseason.
The tone around here never changes, does it? Luckily, we have stopped short of demanding Jim Nill tear it all down. But, we have a roster of slugs, apparently, to some. How did we finish with 108 points and an appearance in the Conference Finals, losing to the winner, who was clearly playing well at the right time?

I understand some of our assets are untradeable due to the NMC. And, we don't want to trade core pieces.

If there were to be a hockey trade, we would need an abundance of talent in one area, and a team with a surplus in other areas, i.e., trade a forward or two for some better D. Ideally, we would want to trade a fairly high paid FW and use our kids to obtain a solid D. I doubt it is likely, but I think it is possible.

Trading Faksa (who played well in the playoffs) might get us something. We are probably only willing to trade him, Mush, and maybe Ty D, among players that would have some value. In reality, most teams will probably inquire about our prospects, even though we will moan about losing Stank or Borque instead. They are actually probably at their peak value right now, and may have to be sacrificed if we really want a top 4 D.

Jul 4, 2010
New Brunswick
Pesce for Marchment++ ?

Hurricanes were the ones in on him last year, they may still have interest and may want some cost certainty with all of the FAs they have coming soon.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
G
The tone around here never changes, does it? Luckily, we have stopped short of demanding Jim Nill tear it all down. But, we have a roster of slugs, apparently, to some. How did we finish with 108 points and an appearance in the Conference Finals, losing to the winner, who was clearly playing well at the right time?

I understand some of our assets are untradeable due to the NMC. And, we don't want to trade core pieces.

If there were to be a hockey trade, we would need an abundance of talent in one area, and a team with a surplus in other areas, i.e., trade a forward or two for some better D. Ideally, we would want to trade a fairly high paid FW and use our kids to obtain a solid D. I doubt it is likely, but I think it is possible.

Trading Faksa (who played well in the playoffs) might get us something. We are probably only willing to trade him, Mush, and maybe Ty D, among players that would have some value. In reality, most teams will probably inquire about our prospects, even though we will moan about losing Stank or Borque instead. They are actually probably at their peak value right now, and may have to be sacrificed if we really want a top 4 D.
I think you're misunderstanding. The down feeling is regarding the opportunity for a notable upgrade this summer. The problem here is cap space and the inability to move guys with big cap hits.

Here is the list of Dallas Stars making over $2 million a season who do not have trade protection:

Hintz
Robertson
Miro
Oettinger

This team has plenty of awesome talent, but the only easily tradable guys who can also provide you with cap relief are also the very players you least want to trade.

The only other guys who make anything you can move are:
- Suter via buyout
- Faksa has a five team no trade list and a $3.25M cap hit
- Marchment has a 10 team no trade list and a $4.5 million cap hit

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
I'm hoping for a boring offseason and a thrilling trade deadline, personally. Nill already set the expectation that he is planning to leave a lot of cap open.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I'm hoping for a boring offseason and a thrilling trade deadline, personally. Nill already set the expectation that he is planning to leave a lot of cap open.
Some years, Nill has liked to make his moves earlier, maybe wait until 20 games in to see how the roster he assembled on paper is actually doing on the ice. That would be okay. Most years, the TDL acquisitions don't work out as well as they did this year.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
G

I think you're misunderstanding. The down feeling is regarding the opportunity for a notable upgrade this summer. The problem here is cap space and the inability to move guys with big cap hits.

Here is the list of Dallas Stars making over $2 million a season who do not have trade protection:

Hintz
Robertson
Miro
Oettinger

This team has plenty of awesome talent, but the only easily tradable guys who can also provide you with cap relief are also the very players you least want to trade.

The only other guys who make anything you can move are:
- Suter via buyout
- Faksa has a five team no trade list and a $3.25M cap hit
- Marchment has a 10 team no trade list and a $4.5 million cap hit
I feel like this isn't an issue unique to the Stars. Even when you're signing your homegrown RFAs- these players are seeking NTC/NMC in their "UFA" years.

I took a look on capfriendly and over 50% of players making 3-4.5M have trade clauses. There's like 7 guys without a trade clause that have AAV >4.5M.

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Some years, Nill has liked to make his moves earlier, maybe wait until 20 games in to see how the roster he assembled on paper is actually doing on the ice. That would be okay. Most years, the TDL acquisitions don't work out as well as they did this year.
I'm reading between the lines from this tweet:

Limited cap indeed. PLEASE buyout Suter. PLEASE!

He wants to go into the season with $2.5M in cap for bonuses, callups, injuries, etc as he says. That number happens to accrue to around ~$11.3M at the deadline. My pipe dream plan for Karlsson from earlier in the thread made space for 13F and 7D with $2.5M in space and assumed a Suter buyout - which isn't even truly necessary IMO. Dancing around injuries with waiver exempt players during home stands can create more cap throughout the year than what I accounted for. A couple of long term injuries next year would completely derail this plan, but I think Nill could be positioning himself to have a chance to make a big play there.

It might be a coincidence that Nill and I agree we need roughly $2.5M in cap going into next season. I'm thinking he's trying to downplay any potential trade deadline shenanigans with his justification.

edit: I realize what I posted earlier was for the season after next. I attached what things might look like this upcoming season with a Suter buyout. Lundkvist and Marchment are moved at the deadline in this one so their caps are lower.

Attachments

• zzz.jpg
    zzz.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

serp

Jan 17, 2016

So we traded an upcoming UFA depth forward . Thats seems wierd . Guess the Avs wanted exclusive negotiating rights until 1st of July for some reason

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Doubtful the Stars had any interest in re-signing him with all the forward prospects going pro. Just kinda wierd Avs or anyone for that matter that had enough interest to skip July 1st

Reactions: LT

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Olofsson will fit in well there. Shame we couldn't squeeze anything out of the deal in return

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Well he's definitely better than some of the garbage the Avs were rolling out there at forward. Strange to make our rival better for free but OK.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad