Off-season thread

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
I did not see that coming. Guess they didn't prefer him as a 4th line pk'er which they desperately need. Fair enough. Not happy he went to Colorado but I wish him well.

serp

Jan 17, 2016

Ok cool. Maybe he'll be more ready for NHL games next year but at the very least he's been a fine AHL goalie

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Well he's definitely better than some of the garbage the Avs were rolling out there at forward. Strange to make our rival better for free but OK.
it's not free, it's future considerations.
MacFarland is now required to help Nill move a couch

• Haha
Reactions: eartotheground

BigTomBomber

Nov 17, 2017
oof, validation for some of you:

i kept thinking we could just reduce suter's minutes and pairings, but i think someone mentioned we need to take him away from pdb as an option or hed end up getting played over youth.
this is shapiro basically just saying the latter

Of course PDB is going to choose accomplished 18-yr veteran Suter (having a pretty good defensive season for pairing with a rookie) over 18-period veteran Harley in the playoffs to help on the top pairing. Every single coach, given the options the Stars had, would make the same exact choice. Its unfortunate Suter had to play so much because Lindell was…not good, but you’ll notice Harley’s TOI went up as the playoffs progressed and he showed he was more and more capable

Nill even said Harley was projected to play in the regular season; the Stars were just very, very healthy on the backend. Its hard to say whether that helped (got Harley more exp in the AHL) or hurt (Harley couldve shown up earlier and re-jiggered the potential playoff D pairs).

we just went thru a season where Suter played on a pairing with a rookie and was #2-#4 in TOI most nights. Seems logical for the ~3rd best d-man on the regular season roster who played both PP and PK (and the 2nd best - Lindell - was #1 In the entire NHL for PK TOI). With Harley and a year-older Lundkvist to run the 2PP next year, his TOI will drop to 4th/5th on average which seems right around where it should be for a secondary PK’er and a 2b pairing. Unless Harley hits a massive sophmore slump or Lindell continues his poor playoff play into next season/postseason (or injuries), there is zero chance he see’s top 3 TOI next playoffs

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
I wish we lived in a world where we could just reduce his minutes and appreciate his veteran status appropriately

Nill needs to quit the NMC and sign people to the MovementIF Clause

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
I feel like this isn't an issue unique to the Stars. Even when you're signing your homegrown RFAs- these players are seeking NTC/NMC in their "UFA" years.

I took a look on capfriendly and over 50% of players making 3-4.5M have trade clauses. There's like 7 guys without a trade clause that have AAV >4.5M.
i'm guessing those w/o trade clauses either have longer/older contracts, or just aren't as good.

BigTomBomber

Nov 17, 2017
I wish we lived in a world where we could just reduce his minutes and appreciate his veteran status appropriately

Nill needs to quit the NMC and sign people to the MovementIF Clause

I don’t have a problem with him playing those minutes when there’s not a better option, especially considering his salary. Towards the end of the playoffs, Harley looked like “that” guy but putting in a 21-year old in that position (or a journeyman in Miller who fell off a bit as the year progressed) at the start of the playoffs was a non starter

I have a much bigger issue with the play of the $8m+ d man, the $5.8m d man, the middle 6 F, and the goalie way more than Suter this playoffs. He played better than his regular season play with one bad play in the Finals; the others played worse than the regular season (some significantly worse vs Vegas specifically)

Reactions: Smelling Salt

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I have a much bigger issue with the play of the $8m+ d man, the $5.8m d man, the middle 6 F, and the goalie way more than Suter this playoffs. He played better than his regular season play with one bad play in the Finals; the others played worse than the regular season (some significantly worse vs Vegas specifically)

You mean the overworked #1, the badly managed #3, the forward line with no chemistry, and the goalie with a lingering issue. Yeah, I get it.

Suter was overexposed because there wasn't enough depth for him not to be. Because they had to trot out a done for the year Miller, a broken Hakanpaa, perennial #7 Hanley and then rookie Thomas Harley. Yeah, I can imagine wondering why they're all gassed and out of sorts having to carry unproductive forwards or sheltered Dmen.

Imagine if they had played Lundkvist...

Reactions: LT

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
Wait, what do we get for Fred Olofsson going to Colorado?
I hope this makes sense later.

F. Considerations? I've heard good things about this guy. :help:

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
it just seems like an excellent no-risk pickup for the Avs when we would have given him minutes :\ pretty silly, unless we are considering not turning over a smaller portion of our roster for functional cost-controlled depth?

I hate to feel reactionary, but kind of wtf Lite™

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
I don’t have a problem with him playing those minutes when there’s not a better option, especially considering his salary.

Who sold Stars fans this lie? Dallas had five defenders average more than 16 minutes of even strength play in the regular season. Suter, second behind Miro, averaged a little over 17. In the playoffs, Suter's even strength minutes jumped to over 21 (!). In other words, Suter's minutes were not only artificially inflated, but they ran counter to what worked in the regular season. There's no reason Harley's emergence should have completely shifted Suter's minutes. Keep in mind, I'm not advocating for another season of Colin Miller on the top pair. That's not the point. The point is that DeBoer largely made it work (especially with Miro putting up a career year on his strongside) until Suter wrote him that pre-playoff Hallmark card.

Reactions: LT and redbeardtx

BigTomBomber

Nov 17, 2017
Who sold Stars fans this lie? Dallas had five defenders average more than 16 minutes of even strength play in the regular season. Suter, second behind Miro, averaged a little over 17. In the playoffs, Suter's even strength minutes jumped to over 21 (!). In other words, Suter's minutes were not only artificially inflated, but they ran counter to what worked in the regular season. There's no reason Harley's emergence should have completely shifted Suter's minutes. Keep in mind, I'm not advocating for another season of Colin Miller on the top pair. That's not the point. The point is that DeBoer largely made it work (especially with Miro putting up a career year on his strongside) until Suter wrote him that pre-playoff Hallmark card.

Regular vs playoffs
Lindell +0:55
Hakanpaa +0:34
Miro +2:17
Suter +3:33

Almost as if a) there’s a bit more 5v5 time in playoffs vs Regular season b) you play your top pairing as much as possible so theyll shoulder the increase c) elevating somebody from a 2b pair in reg season to 1st pair in PO results in a sharper increase in playing time. Even Miro went +2 minutes and he was already the first pair playing lots of minutes; whomever he played with would have had a huge increase

If you attribute Miro’s average play in the playoffs to being moved, that’s an adequate criticism of the coaching staff. But nobody on the right side was playoff-caliber first pairing - you find a way to get your best defenseman in your top 4. Harley coming up put the better defender on the team (over Lunkdvist). That left a glut of left defenseman and naturally shifted Miro right. Of the remaining ones, Suter was the best option. I just don’t see Miro/Miller > Suter/Miro in any situation

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Olafsson to the Avs pretty much gaurentees we messed up and he will be awesome . Sakic don’t make bad trades .

• Wow
Reactions: JeffP

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
What's artificial about Suter's playoff minutes? They pretty much mirror how he was being used in the final weeks of the regular season once Harley got called up.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
My TheScore App pushed me the orig notification that I'd seen, but I can't pull it up on their site. It's listed on like 6 other sites tho, so..

It's nbd, but it always feels like were making or about to make some dumb moves

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Ok cool. Maybe he'll be more ready for NHL games next year but at the very least he's been a fine AHL goalie

I don't get it. I know he's primarily there as an AHL guy, but if the Stars think he sucks so bad the team would rather destroy Oettinger than play Matt Murray, then what's the point of re-signing him?

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Good guy move by Nill.

Does 0 for Dallas by moving him before July 1 when he's a FA.

Allows Freddie to get his security quicker rather than waiting for an unknown

Reactions: BfantZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad