Off-season thread

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Suter will play in 170+ more games for the Stars. And he will suck. And the team will tell us he's great.

The only glimmer of hope is somehow getting him away from Miro and the powerplay.

Reactions: LT and The Tourist

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
The problem is our dcore outside of Miro and Harley all need help. Someone, preferably two need to go.
The options could open up at the deadline. Calgary for example has 4 quality D that could be on the market if they are a bottom feeder - and they just downgraded from Sutter to a first time NHL coach.

Miller and Hakanpaa are simple choices to jet, but they don't need to. Rolling into the postseason with 8 NHLish defensemen is completely fine.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Yeah sounds about as expected. Defense will probably look the same going into next season and they'll hope that Harley and Lundkvist continue to grow instead of going after someone else or replacing guys.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
Suter buyout just makes sense. I get they feel he did some good this year but he is old an awful. Any thoughts of him being a bottom pair defenseman is wishful thinking. Suter will demand top 4 and PP time. There is a reason the wild bought him out. He is a difficult player to deal with.

Reactions: LT

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Suter needs to play less . Much less . It's that simple. Can't have him be the guy playing second most minutes at 38 and next year 39. THat just doesn't work.

If they actually do that him not getting bought out isn't that bad.

Hakanpää also can't be in the top 4 in minutes again either by the way.

Both had to play way too many minutes this year because the depth on defense wasn't very good.

Last edited:

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Suter needs to play less . Much less . It's that simple. Can't have him be the guy playing second most minutes at 38 and next year 39. THat just doesn't work.

Hakapää also can't be in the top 4 in minutes again either by the way.

Both had to play way too many minutes this year because the depth on defense wasn't very good.

We only have 3D who can play top 4 minutes, and all of them are LHD. Then we've got Suter and 3 bottom-pair RHD.

We really need Lundkvist to secure a spot next year.

Heiskanen - XXX
Harley - XXX
Lindell - Lundkvist
XXX

Rotate Hakanpaa, Suter, and Miller through the open spots. Whoever's working well (or needs to sit) out of those three can stay in that role.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I'm not convinced Suter gets bought out and Granlund would be a bigger negative than Suter is
Granny at 50% though would be an asset. Pittsburgh played him as a shutdown winger when he really is a playmaking wing suited for 2-line duties. I`d actually like to see him with Johnston if he`d come cheap.

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
Granny at 50% though would be an asset. Pittsburgh played him as a shutdown winger when he really is a playmaking wing suited for 2-line duties. I`d actually like to see him with Johnston if he`d come cheap.
Maybe 2-3 years ago- Granlund is a career loser and we dont need any more weak wingers

Reactions: The Tourist

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Well dedends on what they do with Scheel who is also RFA . I assume they don't qualify him and instead sign an experienced Number 3 goalie who splits the starts with Murray in the AHL and Poirier is the #1 in Idaho.
Personally I'd have Poirier splitting starts in the AHL next season but then again I'm driving the Poirier bandwagon.

BigTomBomber

Nov 17, 2017

Hakanpää also can't be in the top 4 in minutes again either by the way.

Thats the rub - the UFA class is weak. Suter played in the PO because Lindell was supposed to run the 2nd pair (and did not do a good job in the playoffs) and 21yr old Harley was not going from AHL to top pairing playoff minutes in 2 weeks

I have more faith in Harley to anchor a pair this upcoming season and be better than Lindell, and would say Lindell is a slight upgrade at #1LD over Suter. Top two pairings improve. Hakanpaa is Harleys prtner in the reg season when his PK prowess is needed, until nill shoves the chips in to upgrade that spot for a playoff run (ideally with a yr or two if term - paid by Suters buyout next season). And while Harley/Hanley was pretty great in limited usage in the playoffs as a third, I think Suter/Lundkvist will be an overall improvement compared to those two

Lindell / Miro
Harley / Hakanpaa* (2a/b)
Suter / Nils (2a/b)
X: miller

*improve w accrued Cap space at tdl

lower Miro’s usage a bit all year so he doesnt hit a wall like he did during Vegas series; all three pairings should hold their own

DieselPig

Oct 20, 2016
Would a 1st, Faksa, and Miller be enough for Pesce? He is the ideal partner for Miro but unfortunately he will have multiple suitors.

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
Would a 1st, Faksa, and Miller be enough for Pesce? He is the ideal partner for Miro but unfortunately he will have multiple suitors.
I highly doubt it. Pesce would be a dream add to this team but it seems Carolina is looking for scoring in return.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad