Off-season thread

account deactivated

Finns > Swedes
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
I'm looking forward to getting to a Texas Stars game since I haven't made my way over to Cedar Park in a few years, but will likely do it to check out Stankoven (who I don't think will start the season on the NHL roster, tbh).

Arkham32

Nov 9, 2012
I think Dadanov is going to be dirt cheap to retain. Teams have no interest in 34 year old, undersized offensive skilled wingers. 1 year, $1.5 to $2 million
That would be huge to get him that cheap gives a lot of room to upgrade the defense. giving him a second year and hopefully not a third will might enough to get him to lower the cap hit

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
It's never gonna happen but a Heiskanen-Karlsson pairing would be so dirty. They're probably my two favorite defensemen of all time aswell.

Screw @hairylikebear for making me excited for something that will never happen.
Just gotta believe. I'm sure this board can will it to happen if we try hard enough.

@BG44 almost willed Logan Morrison into being a Star. So close

• Love
Reactions: Klockis

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Would Sam Girard be of any interest to us, or would he be too much of the same thing as Harley/Nils?

Also, I’m coming around on Mayfield. Fits the mold of a defense first, budget friendly RHD that can play in a top 4.

Reactions: Johno

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Would Sam Girard be of any interest to us, or would he be too much of the same thing as Harley/Nils?

Also, I’m coming around on Mayfield. Fits the mold of a defense first, budget friendly RHD that can play in a top 4.
No way you're getting Girard out of Colorado until they lock up Toews.

Reactions: Zrhutch

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Frank Serasausagespaghetti has a trade target list

Of various degrees of note for us

RD Erik Karlsson (pricy)
One STL D (Parayko, Faulk, Leddy, Scandella)
LW Ross Colton
LW Taylor Hall
RD Sean Walker
LD Matt Grzelcyk
LW Anthony Mantha
RW Kailer Yamamoto
LD Ivan Provorov
RD Tyler Myers
RW Kevin Labanc
LD Alec Martinez
LD Sam Girard

redbeardtx

Unregistered User
Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX

Girard has gotta be the softest defenseman in the league. Whenever I watch him he's just out there spinning around in circles with the puck. Mayfield would be a goodin though

Sports2

WDI
Jul 1, 2018
I think the only way they land Karlsson is if Benn agrees to waive his NMC. Nill isn't going to trade Marchment after one year, even ignoring the circumstances, without giving him a chance to bounce back.
Benn is only owed 3.75 per yer over the next two years after his signing bonus this summer. Dallas could pretty easily retain to make the cap hit palatable to some team trying to get over the hump.
Any retention on Benn would fall off when Suter's buyout penalty increases.

account deactivated

Finns > Swedes
Feb 28, 2008
ATX
LOL

1685766577411.png

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
Why would Dallas want to buyout Benn? He has 2 years left. He was a near PPG player and is one of the best face off guys in the league. Is he over paid? Sure. but not by that much.

Seguin is a different story. But a buyout of Seguin is just dumb. If you can find a deal that they would accept that makes the team better I say make the trade. Otherwise just ride out their contracts.

Reactions: MBTendy

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
its hard to read "klingberg sucks" because really he doesn't
he will just want way more than we have to give him and be at least a partial liability
i can imagine him as a very capable but overpaid option we don't have the money for

i keep hearing we' going to buy someone out, but then i hear it isn't worth it
what if no one will help us w our cap issues? we can only sweeten so much
i cant figure out what the truth is here other than we need to fix the d

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
its hard to read "klingberg sucks" because really he doesn't
he will just want way more than we have to give him and be at least a partial liability
i can imagine him as a very capable but overpaid option we don't have the money for

i keep hearing we' going to buy someone out, but then i hear it isn't worth it
what if no one will help us w our cap issues? we can only sweeten so much
i cant figure out what the truth is here other than we need to fix the d
Buying out Suter is a cheap option, money can be repurposed into a better defender of which there are many.

A buyout of seguin cost 7m against the cap for 2yrs then 9.4m against the cap for 2 yrs before it drops to a useful amount. He only has 4yrs left, so you either live with an overpaid 20g scorer or pay the cost of a 30goal guy for 4yrs and still have to replace his 20goals.

A buyout of benn cost 8.8m against the cap for the next 2yrs. Again he only had 2yrs left so there is 0 benefit to buying him out because you aren't getting anything with the 600k that buying him out opens to be useful.

Anyone watching the PO should have seen how bad and how necessary a Suter buyout is.
Even if the team can't afford to bring in someone good, just clearing the spot for lundkvist to play knowing full well Suter isn't going to get any better as time moves on.

JeffP

had meat hello
Nov 30, 2010
..but is Suter perma-conked or still useful as a low pair D?
I guess it's irrelevant if PDB will keep playing him if he has him as a resource.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Might mean nothing, but Domi posted on social media saying Thank You, Dallas.

Might also mean his camp and Dallas camp have discussed and realise the difference between salary and what he wants could be too much and agree to part ways.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011

Might also mean his camp and Dallas camp have discussed and realise the difference between salary and what he wants could be too much and agree to part ways.
Yeah they'd have to move salary out to realistically sign him as I'm assuming he want similar cap hit but with longer term. If I'm Nill I'd prioritize re signing Dadanov as you can probably get him cheaper and Domi could be replaced by Stankoven or Bourque

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017

Don't some players typically post something thanking fans at the end of the season anyways?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad