Off-season thread

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Man it's not a pleasant thought when you realize we are a Miro Heiskanen injury away from seeing Suter as our #1 dman...we better hope we get lucky again injury-wise this year

Reactions: Kiorei and BfantZ

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I've been thinking that if another big move doesn't materialize this summer the most advantageous step they could take is teaching Harley to play his offside.

We've seen enough to indicate that his overall development is safe, and he will be a good NHLer regardless. If they can get him comfortable enough to play on the right throughout training camp and preseason then the top pair takes care of itself and it preserves the #1 objective of putting our best player in his best position to succeed and drive play.

Heiskanen-Harley is a pair that you can take straight to the SCF. We saw this anyway just reversed when DeBoer was desperate against Vegas.
Lindell-Nils
Suter-Hakanpaa

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
RE: Late Night Marchment Thoughts

There were a lot of people who wanted to jettison Pavelski into the sun after his first season in Dallas too.

Pavelski Season 1: 67GP, 14G, 17A, 31PTS
Marchment Season 1: 68GP, 12G, 19A, 31PTS

He will never have the kind of impact Joe has had, but he certainly can improve and be a positive for the team moving forward.

Reactions: Elysian and BfantZ

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad

There were a lot of people who wanted to jettison Pavelski into the sun after his first season in Dallas too.

He will never have the kind of impact Joe has had, but he certainly can improve and be a positive for the team moving forward.

That was an outlier season for Pavelski. Marchment's outlier season was his one good season that got him this contract. Hopefully he at least gets a little better.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Let’s also look at the playoff run for both in their first season with the Stars:
Pavelski 27GP 13-6-19
Marchment 18GP 4-2-6

Reactions: account deactivated

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
You never know...
I see Riley Damani still isn't re-signed yet. I know there was talk about him wanting out to get an actual shot with a team. Wonder if he's potentially part of a package on the way out and he's not re-signed for that reason?

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I see Riley Damani still isn't re-signed yet. I know there was talk about him wanting out to get an actual shot with a team. Wonder if he's potentially part of a package on the way out and he's not re-signed for that reason?
IIRC he got qualified, so he's an RFA and Dallas holds his rights. He's got so much competition in front of him that short of a ton of injuries at the same time I have a hard time seeing him making the NHL in Dallas. If I'm Damiani, I'm trying to find a way out, but it's not like he's got much negotiating power. I kinda hope he does get traded because I think he should have a crack at an NHL lineup. Doubt Dallas gets much of anything for him though. Strikes me as a guy who hasn't done nearly enough to hold concrete value, and he doesn't have good draft pedigree.

It was bad asset management to not give him a longer look when Bowness was trotting out garbage in his last year before leaving, because if he does break through with another team the Stars will look dumb. I don't think the guy is going to be a top 6 forward, but maybe he can grade out as a useful top 9 player who chips in offensively and plays well in a possession style system if things break right.

Reactions: piqued and 506

hairylikebear

///////////////
Apr 30, 2009
Houston
Damiani was never much of an asset to be managed. He had no value to ruin, and showcasing him at the NHL level makes no sense if he doesn't belong there.

He was an interesting prospect with some longshot potential but it looks like he's going to top out as an AHL player or a depth player on a non-playoff team. He's probably pushing for a one-way contract but his chances are slim IMO. Gemel Smith for example was an NHL player (technically) at this stage and got awarded a two-way deal in arbitration.

Reactions: LT

Kiorei

Jan 22, 2014
Denton, Texas
Man it's not a pleasant thought when you realize we are a Miro Heiskanen injury away from seeing Suter as our #1 dman...we better hope we get lucky again injury-wise this year
I've gotten to the point where I wish they would just get rid of him by buying him out at this point. Just tired of hearing about him. Won't happen but addition by subtraction is a phrase in sports right?

Jul 4, 2010
New Brunswick
1688686494922.png

Only $582k in available cap space with Dellandrea to still sign - I really think we are going to see a trade.

Marchment/Faksa + Roster D Man (probably Hakanpaa, ideally Suter though) + D Propsect (Grush?) for Pesce or Tanev?

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
View attachment 726813

Only $582k in available cap space with Dellandrea to still sign - I really think we are going to see a trade.

Marchment/Faksa + Roster D Man (probably Hakanpaa, ideally Suter though) + D Propsect (Grush?) for Pesce or Tanev?
That total includes bayreuther on the NHL list, he won't actually be in the NHL

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Good catch - thanks.

Brings us up to almost $1.4 million - if TyD signs at $1.0 million, is 400k enough play to allow us to buy at the deadline?
No. This $400k will get whittled down by injuries. Every time a guy is called up, their pay comes out of this small excess.

Jul 4, 2010
New Brunswick
No. This $400k will get whittled down by injuries. Every time a guy is called up, their pay comes out of this small excess.

Thanks - knowing that it really leads me to believe we are going make another move. I can't see Nill putting himself in that much of a corner where he is handcuffed come deadline time, even if it's for a minor move.

Henderson33

Jun 4, 2012
Nova Scotia
Jim Nill needs to get Miro a partner this offseason or all of these good moves do nothing for me. I absolutely love what he has done so far (Duchene/Steel/Smith/Drafting), but it is going to be a waste if he doesn't get Miro a steady partner so Miro can be Miro.

Whether it's Pesce or whoever, we can't go into the season with Miro baby sitting his partner again, no matter how capable of it he is.

skygodz187

Feb 15, 2015
How about Antonio Stranges, Mason Marchment and a pick to Vancouver for Brock Boeser and they retain half his salary.

The reason for me to say just a pick meaning maybe as high as a 2nd rounder if they accept a deal on the cash they keep on the Boeser deal.

Now the reason I'm pointing out Boeser is for one specific reason. He is the Grinder in front of the net. The guy who will push and fight against the walls. He is a younger version of what Pavalski can do but just needs alittle refinement.

We need Boeser to push in front of the net on the 2nd line or even 3rd line. This is what Seguin needs beside him with Dandanov.
This could also make it were we could take Faksa and move him for a defense men. And we can get Ty signed to a contract.

We put Boaser in the same roll as Pavalski and on the Power play he would make our team better

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
I think there are a couple players both trade and free agents that are now holding up other trades. What happens in Carolina with Pesce? What about Ottawa and debrincat? Calgary has half the roster that wants out. Need some dominos to start falling.

Jul 4, 2010
New Brunswick
How about Antonio Stranges, Mason Marchment and a pick to Vancouver for Brock Boeser and they retain half his salary.

The reason for me to say just a pick meaning maybe as high as a 2nd rounder if they accept a deal on the cash they keep on the Boeser deal.

Now the reason I'm pointing out Boeser is for one specific reason. He is the Grinder in front of the net. The guy who will push and fight against the walls. He is a younger version of what Pavalski can do but just needs alittle refinement.

We need Boeser to push in front of the net on the 2nd line or even 3rd line. This is what Seguin needs beside him with Dandanov.
This could also make it were we could take Faksa and move him for a defense men. And we can get Ty signed to a contract.

We put Boaser in the same roll as Pavalski and on the Power play he would make our team better
I don't think we need to add anymore upfront. With what we have and what is knocking on the door any assets we are moving should be directed towards upgrading the blueline.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Time to make this board's blood boil:

PIT receives: Erik Karlsson (2.5M retained)
SJS receives: Pierre Olivier-Joseph, 2024 PIT 1st, 2025 PIT 1st (both lottery protected)

is a supposed deal that's in talks.

But there's gonna have to be something else, since PIT is already over the cap.

And since Karlsson is a RD, and Letang is a RD, and... Petry is a RD...

what if the above proposal turns into:

PIT receives: Erik Karlsson
SJS receives: POJ, Martino (or some B level prospect or pick equivalent), PIT picks, retains 50% on Petry
DAL receives: Petry

And we end up with 8D in the regular season:

Heiskanen - Petry
Lindell - Lundkvist
Harley - Hakanpaa
Suter, Hanley

Although of course Suter is going to somehow feature in that top 4.

Nill was supposedly in on Petry the last time he was available. He'll be available again, and probably for very cheap, if PIT does indeed acquire Karlsson. And it's absolutely something that fits Nill's MO to a T.

Would I do it? f*** no.

Could I see it happening? Oh yea.

Reactions: 506

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
Karlsson is only interested in teams that give him the best chance to win the cup. The Pens aren’t contenders even with him so i don’t buy this at all.

The Canes are run by a GM that does trades in EANHL and then sims 1 season to see the results before he makes deals. He’ll find a way to fit EK65 in if he can land him.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Nill is quietly in on this as well. Friedman did say Nill is a creative guy, and we know Saad and Pagnotta have both said we’re still in the trade market for help on D. It ain’t stay at home d-men we need I’ll tell ya that lol.

Reactions: LT and Dallasman

skygodz187

Feb 15, 2015
I don't think we need to add anymore upfront. With what we have and what is knocking on the door any assets we are moving should be directed towards upgrading the blueline.
That's not the point. The point is Pavalski is the only guy who gets dirty in front of the net. We need way more grit and grinding. If you remember, the playoffs it was flat out bad infront of the net when we were defending. Getting pushed around and stuff. This is what we need more of. Our defenders in front of the net weren't cutting it. And our 2nd and 3rd scoring lines weren't helping as much either. This is where you look at Boeser. He is not a push over. He fights and pushes back. If he could get just 20 goals and 35 assist. But also help on PP. And hit people this is a win win.

• Haha
Reactions: The Tourist

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
That's not the point. The point is Pavalski is the only guy who gets dirty in front of the net. We need way more grit and grinding. If you remember, the playoffs it was flat out bad infront of the net when we were defending. Getting pushed around and stuff. This is what we need more of. Our defenders in front of the net weren't cutting it. And our 2nd and 3rd scoring lines weren't helping as much either. This is where you look at Boeser. He is not a push over. He fights and pushes back. If he could get just 20 goals and 35 assist. But also help on PP. And hit people this is a win win.

I might be wrong but I don't think Boeser is the fighter/push back guy you think he is. That's certainly not something I've noticed when watching his game, but like I said I might be wrong and im tired so might be totally off.

I wouldn't mind him either way but he's more a shooter than a score from the dirty areas type guy from what I remember

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad