Off-season thread

Klockis

Loyalty personified
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
I still think that the idea is that Lundkvist was the D man we aquired. I think that Nill would love another D if a opportunity presented itself but that he feels comfortable to rely on the continued growth of Harley and Lundkvist to improve in that area.

Personally I'm fine with not adding anyone else and reasses at the deadline.

Reactions: MBTendy

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I still think that the idea is that Lundkvist was the D man we aquired. I think that Nill would love another D if a opportunity presented itself but that he feels comfortable to rely on the continued growth of Harley and Lundkvist to improve in that area.

Probably the best route to take.

I am also really curious to see if Mush bounces back. He did have a rough year last season with his dad passing, being on a new team and then dealing with a nagging injury. He showed promise at the start so hopefully he can find his game again.

Reactions: redbeardtx

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla

Idk, Nill mentioned that we’ll see more deals in mid-late July. with our current make-up and cap space you gotta think there’s still something coming.

I’m ok with our current setup as well and don’t think we need another big fish but there’s plenty of reasonable trades out there that fit our cap structure and improve our team. Just might not be anyone we’ve been thinking of.

Or it’s what a lot here are speculating/hopeful for, and we’re waiting for other dominos to fall so we can make a deal for Pesce.

Either way, I’m gonna wait until DeBrincat and Karlsson are dealt and Tarasenko is signed. The rest will shake loose then

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
Jim Nill needs to get Miro a partner this offseason or all of these good moves do nothing for me. I absolutely love what he has done so far (Duchene/Steel/Smith/Drafting), but it is going to be a waste if he doesn't get Miro a steady partner so Miro can be Miro.

Whether it's Pesce or whoever, we can't go into the season with Miro baby sitting his partner again, no matter how capable of it he is.

so you'll be happy if he drastically overpays or gets us into a contract that hamstrings the cap as long as it gets miro a partner? sometimes the only deals available are bad ones, and it's best to walk away and wait for something else, or search internally for a player or system that can address the weakness.

agreed. in the ticket interview, nill seemed to say nils was expected to take the jump that harley did. also, he mentioned, and i hadn't realized, nils played 60 games last year. felt like he was constantly sitting, but 60 games is solid for growth. i expect him to be a regular from here out, playoffs included.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Nill was supposedly in on Petry the last time he was available. He'll be available again, and probably for very cheap, if PIT does indeed acquire Karlsson. And it's absolutely something that fits Nill's MO to a T.

Would I do it? f*** no.

Could I see it happening? Oh yea.

I'm all for Heiskanen back on his strongside. I still don't understand why Miller was good enough all season, accommodating a career year for Miro...only to make way for Suter's stank ass right "in time" for the playoffs but whatever. Lundkvist, Harley, pairings, etc. Yea yea. As for Petry, I wouldn't mind. Dallas missed a solid window where he had a second wind, but even now Petry's still a decent defender. Decent is fine. I've long since given up on Dallas giving Heiskanen something more than that.

Reactions: LT

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
Damiani was never much of an asset to be managed. He had no value to ruin, and showcasing him at the NHL level makes no sense if he doesn't belong there.

He was an interesting prospect with some longshot potential but it looks like he's going to top out as an AHL player or a depth player on a non-playoff team. He's probably pushing for a one-way contract but his chances are slim IMO. Gemel Smith for example was an NHL player (technically) at this stage and got awarded a two-way deal in arbitration.

Like I said, nothing hugely exciting, but at least a top 9 player with some offensive skill. I disagree that he doesn't belong there, in the little time he had in the NHL (very little, I admit), he showed he absolutely belonged there. I would say that this is the first year where I don't think there's a shot of him doing anything at this level on the Stars.

I would certainly not prioritize him over Stankoven and Borque, though. He probably will end up on a non-playoff team if he ever does stick, at least for starters, and I'll be curious to know if he has what it takes to stay up and be a decent contributor until then.

Jul 4, 2010
New Brunswick
1688776191253.png

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
I'd love to know Calgary's internal evaluation of Ty Dellandrea.

Did that 2022 Game 7 make an impression?

I've almost convinced myself that the trades Nill's talking about waiting to shake out are accommodating all the Flames (Hanifin, Lindholm, Backlund) who have requested out or indicated they're not re-signing. They're going to need bodies up front under team control. Faksa and Dellandrea would work money-in money-out. Could this be an avenue to grab Tanev for the year with no further commitments i.e. Duchene?

BigTomBomber

Nov 17, 2017
Time to make this board's blood boil:

PIT receives: Erik Karlsson (2.5M retained)
SJS receives: Pierre Olivier-Joseph, 2024 PIT 1st, 2025 PIT 1st (both lottery protected)

is a supposed deal that's in talks.

But there's gonna have to be something else, since PIT is already over the cap.

And since Karlsson is a RD, and Letang is a RD, and... Petry is a RD...

what if the above proposal turns into:

PIT receives: Erik Karlsson
SJS receives: POJ, Martino (or some B level prospect or pick equivalent), PIT picks, retains 50% on Petry
DAL receives: Petry

And we end up with 8D in the regular season:

Heiskanen - Petry
Lindell - Lundkvist
Harley - Hakanpaa
Suter, Hanley

Although of course Suter is going to somehow feature in that top 4.

Nill was supposedly in on Petry the last time he was available. He'll be available again, and probably for very cheap, if PIT does indeed acquire Karlsson. And it's absolutely something that fits Nill's MO to a T.

Would I do it? f*** no.

Could I see it happening? Oh yea.
with what money?

If we’re ignoring the salary cap, might as well go ahead and trade for Karlsson

Zapp

Owner of Fellas Club
Mar 14, 2016
Jyvaskyla
is peverly the next gm? I was at the game he collapsed btw

I’d say it’s probably the most likely scenario. Nill wants to stay for a few more years so it’s probably just a slow process of molding Peverley into the best successor possible.

We can bitch about some of Nill’s decision, but his credibility and respect around the league is at the top. Peverley is gaining invaluable experience and knowledge learning under one of the very best.

brighteststars

Feb 11, 2014
I’d say it’s probably the most likely scenario. Nill wants to stay for a few more years so it’s probably just a slow process of molding Peverley into the best successor possible.

We can bitch about some of Nill’s decision, but his credibility and respect around the league is at the top. Peverley is gaining invaluable experience and knowledge learning under one of the very best.
Only thing to say, I like where we're at

MBTendy

May 6, 2009

It always amazes me when a network does an analysis on a team without making an effort on predicting a legitimate lineup projection

Reactions: Stubu

jballa95

Aug 18, 2013

It always amazes me when a network does an analysis on a team without making an effort on predicting a legitimate lineup projection

Yeah I saw that. They could have had someone take 30 seconds and go on Daily Faceoff and get a more accurate lineup than what they had. Truth is, they just don't care.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009

Guess I’m not the only one lol. The Delly one really cracks me up, that and Benn/Seg together

• Haha
Reactions: Stubu

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Guess I’m not the only one lol. The Delly one really cracks me up, that and Benn/Seg together

I go everywhere for inspiration. Your post was my first time seeing it.

Although I'm not one to judge. I still say splitting up Robertson and Hintz is the move. Seguin looked like a decent bass player in a band known for its vocals and guitars when he played with Robertson and Pavelski. Hintz with Duchene projects to be a pretty nasty "second" threat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad