Confirmed Trade: [NYR/BOS]Nick Holden for Rob O'Gara + 2018 3rd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Happy to have Holden off the team and even happier for the return. He played great for some stretches last year, scored a few timely goals. So long as you keep him from being over utilized he'll be a serviceable bottom pair d man. Decent depth pick-up for the Bs.

Lots of Rangers fans are bursting with joy because AV has a tendency to misuse and over use players like Holden

Yeah I don't see why theres laughter here. Its a 3rd round pick and what is likely a career AHLer for some depth insurance.

Slight overpayment but its the TDL, you have to.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I'm not a fan of the deal but for me it essentially breaks down to a late 3rd rounder for a veteran bottom pairing playoff insurance.
Last year the Bruins ran out of D.

O'Gara ? no real future here with the kids that are coming along. His max upside , which I doubt he hits, is Hal Gill. I'd more likely see him shuttle between leagues until he hangs em up.

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Girardi on the top pairing in AV's ridiculous stupid system is a lot different than Girardi getting 3rd pairing minutes on the best team in the league.

Most of us saw Girardi thriving with Tampa as soon as he signed there. Just like Gaborik in LA, Boyle and Stralman in TB and Haggy in Pitt.

Wasn't a dig at you and only highlights a small minority of your fan base. Getting a 3rd for holden is good business by the rangers. Puts it into perspective when you get that for holden then what you would want for Mcdonagh.

Reactions: Shootertooter

Jimbo9966

Feb 15, 2012
Montreal
I would never evaluate a player that played for the Rangers, they all seem to under achieve there. Holden is gonna do just fine in beantown.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Don't Rangers fans seem to say that about many of their dmen over the years?

No, McDonagh, Stralman and Yandle were fine.

Staal has been atrocious, even with less minutes this year. Girardi was a black hole that couldn't handle top pairing minutes and is terrible with the puck. Holden helped cost the Rangers that series against Ottawa.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Good trade for both teams. Holden is definitely good to have as a bottom pairing/depth defender and that's certainly worth a 3rd rounder and a guy who likely wont have an NHL career for a team that's going for it.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
No, McDonagh, Stralman and Yandle were fine.

Staal has been atrocious, even with less minutes this year. Girardi was a black hole that couldn't handle top pairing minutes and is terrible with the puck. Holden helped cost the Rangers that series against Ottawa.

Please, Staal is a solid bottom 4 dman this year, and was great before the eye injury/concussions. Just a bit overpaid.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Woof. Sweeney must have liked Holden because that is a lot to give up for a player that will only play if there are injuries. NYR fans you got a nice piece. O'Gara is pretty polished, good skating, defensive Dman with more upside to give. He's like Brandon Carlo with a little less skill and skating.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
Yeah I don't see why theres laughter here. Its a 3rd round pick and what is likely a career AHLer for some depth insurance.

Slight overpayment but its the TDL, you have to.

Yup.

This is a nothing deal.

you get depth, we get a project and another dart to throw at the wall. The likelihood of this deal meaning anything to either team is <5%

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
A 3rd round pick is an over payment? Come back here in 5 years from now and let me know how that pick is working out.

O'Gara would never play in Boston again as the Bruins LHD depth chart is pretty solid. Although junk in last years playoffs, Holden at least has playoff experience and could come in handy as a #6-7 dman. Last year the Bruins were decimated with injuries and called up guys like Tommy Cross ffs. Good move imo by Sweeney.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Don't get the overreaction. This is the TDL. Players always go for slightly higher than they're worth. Holden is serviceable. Most appealing part of him is that he can play both sides.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
A 3rd round pick is an over payment? Come back here in 5 years from now and let me know how that pick is working out.

O'Gara would never play in Boston again as the Bruins LHD depth chart is pretty solid. Although junk in last years playoffs, Holden at least has playoff experience and could come in handy as a #6-7 dman. Last year the Bruins were decimated with injuries and called up guys like Tommy Cross ffs. Good move imo by Sweeney.

To be fair, injuries in the playoffs also forced your team to call-up McAvoy.

“Holy shit, we had a #1D this whole time” :laugh:

Reactions: kdog82

JaeTM

Dec 3, 2009
Long Island
It is funny how fans react after a trade has gone down and reading posts prior to it.

Anyways, Holden isn't as bad as some fans are making him out to be. He's definitely prone to some giveaways in his own zone, but a 3rd for him is fair and Boston didn't give up that much for him. Definitely not a fleecing.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Must be incorrect. I've been led to believe he's the worst dman of all time?
No. Not incorrect. Fans just develop irrational hatred for players so they can assign blame in a situation that they are having trouble accepting.

Holden, while he did have some rough patches, overall he was a fine defenseman. He will do well in Boston.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Yeah, I don't get that the Bruins were robbed here. Holden on your bottom pair with a decent partner should be okay. Playing on your top pair he's kind of awful. I think he's better off left on the left side too...and if the left is what the Bruins are trying to shore up it makes sense. I'm not sure I care for O'Gara besides his Irish name. He doesn't seem to be that great a prospect. The third will be at the bottom end of the round--late 80's-early 90's. It's not shit but it's nothing spectacular either. But all in all I'm good with this as a Rangers fan. Holden had a much better regular season last year. He and Staal were godawful terrible as a pair in the playoffs though. I remember Holden getting scratched even. He'll be UFA--we're going nowhere this year--getting something back for him makes sense for us.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I don't get how people can say the bruins lost this trade when that third round is going to be almost a 4th. This just adds depth for the bruins cup run.

They are saying that because Ranger fans would have been happy with a 7th or lunch at MickeyD's for Holden.

He is serviceable. I don't think he is a reason to be out of the McD sweepstakes like some are saying.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad