Confirmed Trade: [NYR/BOS]Nick Holden for Rob O'Gara + 2018 3rd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hope of a 2nd for Holden wasn't really realistic based on someone else's trade. The consensus on BSB was a 5th or 6th and some said a 7th. He is a depth player. There are some Boston fans insisting Boston is now out of the running for McD because of this move ........yet......none of the assets that were speculated in the McD "offer" were used and Holden is certainly not McD. So I am not sure that is actually the case. Maybe they are thinking of moving a roster player?

If Holden is a 6th guy, he will be ok. He was deployed terribly here. He is not putting Boston over the edge with his play. A 3rd and prospect is a small overpayment. If you are a Ranger fan, you have to feel pretty good about knowing your GM is putting a high value on tradeable assets and McD will get a good return or they won't trade him.

That says more about BSB (whatever that is) than anything else, though.

A 3rd + a prospect is very fair value for Holden.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015

People are seriously overrating the value of a 3rd round pick here. Holden was picked up to be an injury insurance defenceman, and he's pretty high quality for that role.

kdog82

Oct 6, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
It's already working out. Thanks for your concern.

I could care less about O'Gara, a 3rd is an overpayment for a guy that everyone on here said they wouldn't give up more than a 5th for a few weeks ago and now all of a sudden the tune has changed because Ranger fans are laughing at it.

Get over it.

Everyone on here a GM? I forgot.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It's already working out. Thanks for your concern.

I could care less about O'Gara, a 3rd is an overpayment for a guy that everyone on here said they wouldn't give up more than a 5th for a few weeks ago and now all of a sudden the tune has changed because Ranger fans are laughing at it.

Get over it.

That's because most people on here aren't exactly what I would call good judges of talent. And they tend to overrate the value of mid-round picks.

There's a very small percentage of a chance that the 3rd round pick we acquired will ever even be as good as someone like Holden. A solid depth defenseman.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Solid asset management in New York, turning a 4th into a 3rd plus and only having to endure Holden for a little while.

I guess eating top pairing minutes badly has some sort of value.

The problem was AV playing him too much. If Holden isn't given top pairing minutes like he was at times (to the point of insanity), he's a really nice depth guy. AV is a complete tool, though. I cannot wait until he's fired.

Reactions: OldBlueshirt

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
That says more about BSB (whatever that is) than anything else, though.

A 3rd + a prospect is very fair value for Holden.

Blue Shirt Banter
I would think the fan base would have a realistic perspective on the value of their own player especially when it is negative to them. Most fan bases seem to overvalue their players.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Hope of a 2nd for Holden wasn't really realistic based on someone else's trade. The consensus on BSB was a 5th or 6th and some said a 7th. He is a depth player. There are some Boston fans insisting Boston is now out of the running for McD because of this move ........yet......none of the assets that were speculated in the McD "offer" were used and Holden is certainly not McD. So I am not sure that is actually the case. Maybe they are thinking of moving a roster player?

If Holden is a 6th guy, he will be ok. He was deployed terribly here. He is not putting Boston over the edge with his play. A 3rd and prospect is a small overpayment. If you are a Ranger fan, you have to feel pretty good about knowing your GM is putting a high value on tradeable assets and McD will get a good return or they won't trade him.

BSB? Don't make me laugh. The return shows exactly how clueless they are.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Blue Shirt Banter
I would think the fan base would have a realistic perspective on the value of their own player especially when it is negative to them. Most fan bases seem to overvalue their players.

Oh. That site is hilariously bad and filled with hot takes. It makes HFBoards look like a legitimate scouting site.

BSB is crap and I haven't taken it seriously since it began. The idea that BSB is remotely representative of Rangers fans and their opinions is simply as off base as it gets. You can feel free to ignore it. You see that I, as a prolific poster, don't even know what the damn acronym is!!!

Reactions: jw2

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
any and all of the extreme responses here, either way, are way overblown

a contender picked up a depth D, who'd been playing top 4 minutes the last few years,
for a medium price

the seller got a fair pick back, and a bubble guy to replace/open the depth chart spots of the traded player for both teams

please guys, maybe save your strong opinions for when something with a some real impact occurs

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
Weird, I thought Boston was gonna acquire McD. Does this put them out of the race now? Or do they still need a top 2 D?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Good trade, only way Boston loses this is if NYR takes a good player with that 3rd.

Otherwise, Boston wins this trade for now.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Good trade, only way Boston loses this is if NYR takes a good player with that 3rd.

Why would the Rangers taking "a good player with that 3rd" have any bearing on whether Boston wins or loses the trade?

Boston, a team in the hunt, acquired a really solid role player for a mid-round pick. Whether that mid-round pick becomes a NHLer or not is meaningless since it's highly unlikely Boston would select whomever the Rangers select (if they don't trade the pick), anyway.

The Rangers are going through a rebuild (or a partial rebuild, depending on who you ask). Thus, how well they do with the trade largely depends on how well they've scouted O'Gara and what they do with the pick. But for a rebuilding team, the draft pick in and of itself is something they want.

It's a fair value trade all around.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
There's a very small percentage of a chance that the 3rd round pick we acquired will ever even be as good as someone like Holden. A solid depth defenseman.

That's really all it is.... and all you can expect for a 3rd round pick.

He's probably 8th on the depth chart... 4th among LHD (which they needed/wanted).

They wanted a veteran LHD D. The didn't want to give up 1st, 2nd's, top prospects or picks. Maybe there was a cheaper price at the deadline. Does it really matter? It's ****ing 3rd round pick. Like what is the difference between pick 90 and 120 or 150?

My only beef with the deal is the need was there in the off-season as well... and they signed Postma (RHD).

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
If boston has to play holden they lose this trade. He had a somewhat ok regular season last season and then completely collapsed in the playoffs. Can't blame AV 100% for that even if he was misused.

Good job by the rangers GM. O'Gara is overdue for a shot at the nhl wouldn't be surprised if we find out right away what O'gara is capable of. Maybe he could already be better than holden.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

A 3rd round pick is less than a coin flip. You seem to be implying you can find a quality NHL player with such a pick if you don't screw it up.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
That's really all it is.... and all you can expect for a 3rd round pick.

. . .

They wanted a veteran LHD D. The didn't want to give up 1st, 2nd's, top prospects or picks. Maybe there was a cheaper price at the deadline. Does it really matter? It's ****ing 3rd round pick. Like what is the difference between pick 90 and 120 or 150?

Yep. To me, both teams did well. The Bruins get a depth guy that they can rely on, the Rangers get some futures that they want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad