Confirmed Trade: [NYR/BOS]Nick Holden for Rob O'Gara + 2018 3rd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
This thread is gold. It's completely reminiscent of when the Avs traded Holden to the Rags. I feel like there's an arc with Holden.

1st Stage: "Man, this guy looks good on the 3rd pairing, free asset for practically nothing! Easily has a 2nd round+ value"
2nd Stage: "It's ok, Holden doesn't look great but he's just on the top pairing due to injuries and will be back on the 3rd once we're healthy"
3rd Stage: "What the hell does Holden have on our coach that he's still getting 20+ minutes a night looking like absolute dogshit?"

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Reminder: The Rangers don't have their 2nd round pick this year (and a 3rd) because they paid it for Brendan Smith, who will make $4.35m in the minors for the next three years because he was outplayed by Holden.

He wasn't outplayed by Holden.

He showed up to camp out of shape and screwed himself.

Nice attempt at a spin job though. Keep showing us all that you have no clue about what has gone on in NY.

Reactions: belford222 and bl02

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
The Bruins needed some depth on the left side. They've got a brutal schedule coming up and then the playoffs. Holden gives you an option or two in case of injuries or guys burning out.
Ideally allows them to limit Chara's minutes a couple of games so he's not torched by playoff time.

Also gives them insurance as they're 8-9 deep of NHL d-men now so you don't see a repeat of last year's playoffs.

That's easily worth a 3rd.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
The Bruins needed some depth on the left side. They've got a brutal schedule coming up and then the playoffs. Holden gives you an option or two in case of injuries or guys burning out.
Ideally allows them to limit Chara's minutes a couple of games so he's not torched by playoff time.

Also gives them insurance as they're 8-9 deep of NHL d-men now so you don't see a repeat of last year's playoffs.

That's easily worth a 3rd.

You would much rather have Chara playing more minutes than Holden getting into 2nd/1st pairing minute territory. Trust me.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

mflo77

Jul 9, 2002
Visit site
maybe, just maybe, the NYR really suck and misused the minutes Holden played? maybe? any depth dman in the next week will cost at least a 3rd-4th round pick.

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Reminder: The Rangers don't have their 2nd round pick this year (and a 3rd) because they paid it for Brendan Smith, who will make $4.35m in the minors for the next three years because he was outplayed by Holden.

All those championships across sports and still the inferiority complex. There, there. *patpat*

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I thought this guy would get a player the quality of Landeskog.... I’m confused...

Who said that exactly? I read all of those threads and didn't see it unless he was a throw in with a first and more.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
You would much rather have Chara playing more minutes than Holden getting into 2nd/1st pairing minute territory. Trust me.

I'd think Holden comes in as the 6th - 8th d-man though.
I like Grizz but if he stumbles down the stretch drive (quite possible) they didn't really have another decent option.
They could also just roll out 7 d-men for a few games to minimize over-work.

Although first is still up for grabs, Boston's solidly in the playoffs, and it's mostly just about that so if Chara's minutes were lessened a few times, even if it cost them a couple games, it's not the worst thing in the world.

Fvital92

Jul 7, 2017
Brazil
Actually, that second was from Ottawa, we have our own this year.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Holden fits the Bruins like a glove. Decent depth, good move for the B's.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He wasn't outplayed by Holden.

He showed up to camp out of shape and screwed himself.

Nice attempt at a spin job though. Keep showing us all that you have no clue about what has gone on in NY.

So the rangers waived Smith because he was out of shape and not because of his play?

Im going to call BS on that one. No one pays $4M for a guy not to play just because he's out of shape if he's still playing well :laugh:

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Roman Polak was traded for two 2nd rounders and this is highway robbery? Never change HF.

Nick Spaling who was still decent at the time was in that deal and Toronto had to take on Raffi Torres. Good try though.

So the rangers waived Smith because he was out of shape and not because of his play?

Im going to call BS on that one. No one pays $4M for a guy not to play just because he's out of shape if he's still playing well :laugh:

Smith isn't really that good of a player. The wedding and being out of shape seems like an excuse. Holden is probably the better player overall.

Reactions: Off Sides

effen

Feb 3, 2018
Thread needs more Leaf fans giving their opinion on how this effects the Toronto Maple Leafs

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Holden is now going to be the Bruins #6, 7, 8 , or 9 guy. O'Gara should be a good AHL guy or #7-8 guy, the pick, who knows, could turn out good or not. Good depth move for the playoffs, good chance to move a guy and get a pick that could turn out better for the Rangers.

The Bruins have so many prospects that they will never be able to have them all play, I believe this is just the start of the Bruins moving some prospects out.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
He also called Holden a good #5-6 who can play #4 in a pinch, which is a bargain for a 3rd at the deadline.

I wouldn't say you got a bargain. It was a fair and decent deal. The Ranger fans who are saying you got fleeced are out to lunch though for sure.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

effen

Feb 3, 2018
He also called Holden a good #5-6 who can play #4 in a pinch, which is a bargain for a 3rd at the deadline.

You might have caught him in a contradiction on an internet messageboard. I don't know about you, but I'd call that a win.

Reactions: BruinsBtn

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad