Confirmed Trade: [NYR/BOS]Nick Holden for Rob O'Gara + 2018 3rd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I don't know much about Holden, but giving up a 3rd round pick isn't the end of the world. I assume Boston will waive Postma, and either trade Miller or McQuaid, or leave it as it is and rotate.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Can I add my two cents on O'Gara from a Bs fan prospective?

Two training camps ago, I as well as many others in these forums (who have more hockey knowledge than I) thought he was pretty neck and neck with Carlo coming out of training camp in terms of securing a roster spot. Carlo of course had the edge because he was the RHD that their defense needed at the time, and obviously there were other factors which resulted in him landing the full time spot and there was no turning back from there.

Since then, O'Gara has had a few NHL games under his belt, and of those most recent, he struggled.

IMO he is still a very interesting prospect. He has exceled at every level he has played at. And I still think he can still make a case to be a bottom pairing defenseman some time soon.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Holden will be fine in Boston. I liked him. He won't be slotted as a top pair guy and any Dman that gets out of AV's garbage ass system can only get better.

Matt Rentfree

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Hope of a 2nd for Holden wasn't really realistic based on someone else's trade. The consensus on BSB was a 5th or 6th and some said a 7th. He is a depth player. There are some Boston fans insisting Boston is now out of the running for McD because of this move ........yet......none of the assets that were speculated in the McD "offer" were used and Holden is certainly not McD. So I am not sure that is actually the case. Maybe they are thinking of moving a roster player?

If Holden is a 6th guy, he will be ok. He was deployed terribly here. He is not putting Boston over the edge with his play. A 3rd and prospect is a small overpayment. If you are a Ranger fan, you have to feel pretty good about knowing your GM is putting a high value on tradeable assets and McD will get a good return or they won't trade him.

I really hope this isn't the case because I don't like Carlo, but what if they're planning on using Holden on the right side to replace Carlo because he's part of the McD deal? Most likely paranoia on my part, but the "what if" scares me a little.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
... Was this the trade @BBKers was eluding to earlier yesterday evening? If that's the case, I'm very disappointed with his wording of, "quite BIG", but I digress - the day isn't over. You know something we all don't know, don't you?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I really hope this isn't the case because I don't like Carlo, but what if they're planning on using Holden on the right side to replace Carlo because he's part of the McD deal? Most likely paranoia on my part, but the "what if" scares me a little.
Yep, don’t want Carlo really. If he’s like the third best piece in the deal then sure but if it’s centered around him I’ll be pretty annoyed

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
A 3rd round pick is less than a coin flip. You seem to be implying you can find a quality NHL player with such a pick if you don't screw it up.

I think things are changing, and 3rd round picks hold more promise than they used to.

There are some many high potential players from so many countries and programs now.

And quite often players ranked as high as low-1st, slip into 3rd, for various reasons.
NYR alone got DuClair and Buchnevich (and Adam Tambellini) in the SAME 3rd round
And later, Sean Day, once given rare exceptional player status by OHL, fell to a 3rd.

I am actually not convinced there is a reliable predictive difference between the 20th overall and the 80th, given the depth of the prospect pools and the unpredictability of drafting 18 year olds ...

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Weird, I thought Boston was gonna acquire McD. Does this put them out of the race now? Or do they still need a top 2 D?

I don't think they need a top-2 D.... this season. That would be a move to put them over the top this year and have a Chara replacement long term (on the left side, with McAvoy on the right). It still makes sense, though probably a sign the price was far too high.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

If they we're that certain about it, then why not make it one transaction?

doesn't make sense to me

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

I think only AV could improperly deploy a player in that way. I'm confident the Bruins would not.
Carlo would be a good get but I don't think the Rangers are looking at him because of Shattenkirk, De Angelo, Poink already on the right side.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
IMO he is still a very interesting prospect. He has exceled at every level he has played at. And I still think he can still make a case to be a bottom pairing defenseman some time soon.

I view O'Gara as a guy we can rely on for cheap on the bottom pairing. We don't need him to be more than that. So if he tops out at that? That's perfectly fine. You guys get a guy who is an older version (well, a bit different style game, but you know what I mean) and much more ready for a playoff push.

I'm still shocked that anyone would view this trade as anything but completely fair. One of the nice times you see realistic value going both ways where no one can really complain.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
I don't think they need a top-2 D.... this season. That would be a move to put them over the top this year and have a Chara replacement long term (on the left side, with McAvoy on the right). It still makes sense, though probably a sign the price was far too high.
Yeah, I agree. They most likely made this move because they're unwilling to move DeBrusk.

Means Tampa is probably the favourites to land McDonagh now... makes me scared what the asking price is though.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
He had 11 goals and 23 assists last year and a +13.

Why is he so horrible, if this is a huge loss I wonder what people though about the Seguin/Thornton trades.

I see it as a lateral move.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
He had 11 goals and 23 assists last year and a +13.

Why is he so horrible, if this is a huge loss I wonder what people though about the Seguin/Thornton trades.

I see it as a lateral move.
I'm pretty sure everybody sees the Seguin trade as a massive win for Boston. Said no one ever.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
That's because most people on here aren't exactly what I would call good judges of talent. And they tend to overrate the value of mid-round picks.

There's a very small percentage of a chance that the 3rd round pick we acquired will ever even be as good as someone like Holden. A solid depth defenseman.

I'll gladly take my chances with the 3rd rounder and the success the Rangers have had in those middle rounds picking players.

Even if it doesn't pan out, it's still better than giving someone like Holden the next contract that he'll be looking for.

I don't want to pay him $2-$3 million a year, that's for damn sure.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I'll gladly take my chances with the 3rd rounder and the success the Rangers have had in those middle rounds picking players.

Even if it doesn't pan out, it's still better than giving someone like Holden the next contract that he'll be looking for.

I don't want to pay him $2-$3 million a year, that's for damn sure.

Well, sure. We weren't going to pay Holden and he doesn't fit in our long-term plans. So that's really why it's a win-win for both sides.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Well, sure. We weren't going to pay Holden and he doesn't fit in our long-term plans. So that's really why it's a win-win for both sides.

It's a win just by getting him out of here. The guy was brought in to be a solid depth defender that ended blowing more coverage than Jenna Jameson on a set.

If the Boston fans want to view it as a win for them, I don't care, but to tell Ranger fans that they shouldn't be laughing at this is a joke, considering that everyone that wasn't a Ranger fan was saying "oh well Holden wouldn't get more than a 5th or a 6th."

It's just great seeing cocky armchair GM's get proven wrong and then go on the defensive and go back on their words. Hilarious.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Its a fair trade for both teams. Not to mention that third will be a very late one. Its not like the Rangers got a first or second for Holden (Rangers fan should still be happy at the return its very fair). Injuries can come in bunches especially on defensive side so doesn't hurt to have an experienced guy for some depth.
Plus the Bruins can shelter Holden quite a bit. I'm sure he will be ok in Boston if he needs to step in.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
This. AV is a garbage coach and overused the guy.

Who else was going to play on that pair? I would never defend AV, but who the hell was gonna play there?

The guy that got waived after showing up to camp out of shape? Skjei, who plays the left side? Shattenkirk? They tried that and McDonagh couldn't be involved at all offensively because Shattenkirk is just not good in his own zone. Marc Staal doesn't belong anywhere near a top pairing, nevermind actually being in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad