Confirmed Trade: [NYR/BOS]Nick Holden for Rob O'Gara + 2018 3rd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
They are saying that because Ranger fans would have been happy with a 7th or lunch at MickeyD's for Holden

That is just absurd. After seeing the trade yesterday, I was holding out hope we could get a 2nd for Holden. It isn't his fault that the Rangers coaching staff put him out there in situations he had no business playing in.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Gotta love how one minute it's no one wants said player. Then the minute he's traded to their team, it's "I don't see what the laughter is about", "The Rangers misuse their defenders", "There's nothing wrong with this deal", "Holden will be fine depth".

Let's pick a story and stick with it. The guy is bad. Last year was a fluke offensive year. The guy is bad in his own zone, he blows coverage and while he's an ok bottom pairing guy, he wasn't worth what was given up to get him.

Reactions: OldBlueshirt

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
would've taken a 7th rounder for Holden and still said it was robbery.

I've said he had 3rd-4th round value for months. And he clearly did. This is very fair value, IMO.

He's a guy who can eat minutes and not be COMPLETE garbage. He has value.

Dude busts his ass. I wish him well. AV really overplayed him and put him in bad situations, but he's definitely solid depth.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Not sure about the reaction here. Holden is a better player at this point. 3rd was to bridge the gap. Sure, it may be a little more than what you’d hope, but that’s the cost of doing business this time of year.

Essentially it’s a 6/7 for a 4/5 and a likely inconsequential pick. Hardly a fleece.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
once again a trade goes down... we are all left wondering why... none of us saw a rumor about it in the days before. we all say the price paid was out of whack

does this do nothing to teach us that very few trades get leaked... that very few of us have a real grasp on what trade value really is?

I certainly had no idea my bruins would make this deal. when are we all going to get some humility and admit we don't know all the freaking answers ahead of time about what real trades our team might make and what price it might pay

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
BTW, favorite thing about Nick as a player is it's so apparent that he just loves the game. Reminds me of Rube from Major League II. He's just happy to be here playing some puck.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Seems like a basic hf overreaction. The price isn't that high, just hoping he doesn't get to play minutes he doesn't deserve because he was traded for.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Anthony DeAngelo created an account and logged in just in order to like this thread.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Please, Staal is a solid bottom 4 dman this year, and was great before the eye injury/concussions. Just a bit overpaid.

No, he's not.

Staal has been horrendous since the eye injury. His advanced statistics would show this. Stralman carried him in 2014. Staal's play has gone off of a cliff since Stralman left. You're kidding yourself if you think he's a NHL caliber defender at this point.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
a great pickup by the bruins, really.

Holden is crazy underrated. Always has the toughest qualcomp on this defense other than McDonagh, yet manages to be a plus possession player regardless.

So smart. This guy is as good as many other much more famous names (cough tanev).

Reactions: gillesgilbert

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Solid asset management in New York, turning a 4th into a 3rd plus and only having to endure Holden for a little while.

I guess eating top pairing minutes badly has some sort of value.

Reactions: Monument

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
A 3rd round pick is an over payment? Come back here in 5 years from now and let me know how that pick is working out.

It's already working out. Thanks for your concern.

O'Gara would never play in Boston again as the Bruins LHD depth chart is pretty solid. Although junk in last years playoffs, Holden at least has playoff experience and could come in handy as a #6-7 dman. Last year the Bruins were decimated with injuries and called up guys like Tommy Cross ffs. Good move imo by Sweeney.

I could care less about O'Gara, a 3rd is an overpayment for a guy that everyone on here said they wouldn't give up more than a 5th for a few weeks ago and now all of a sudden the tune has changed because Ranger fans are laughing at it.

Get over it.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
That is just absurd. After seeing the trade yesterday, I was holding out hope we could get a 2nd for Holden. It isn't his fault that the Rangers coaching staff put him out there in situations he had no business playing in.

Hope of a 2nd for Holden wasn't really realistic based on someone else's trade. The consensus on BSB was a 5th or 6th and some said a 7th. He is a depth player. There are some Boston fans insisting Boston is now out of the running for McD because of this move ........yet......none of the assets that were speculated in the McD "offer" were used and Holden is certainly not McD. So I am not sure that is actually the case. Maybe they are thinking of moving a roster player?

If Holden is a 6th guy, he will be ok. He was deployed terribly here. He is not putting Boston over the edge with his play. A 3rd and prospect is a small overpayment. If you are a Ranger fan, you have to feel pretty good about knowing your GM is putting a high value on tradeable assets and McD will get a good return or they won't trade him.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
4A player. Good guy to have in the AHL to be your #8-10 D in case of injuries. That's about it.

Fine by me, I'll take that over watching Holden screw up on a nightly basis and the next contract that he's going to get from a foolish GM thinking that he can replicate 2017. Anyone gives him more than 1.5 million a year to be a bottom pairing guy, they're screwing themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad