Confirmed Trade: [NYR/BOS]Nick Holden for Rob O'Gara + 2018 3rd round pick

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I don't watch Rangers games, so I can't speak with my own eyes on Holden, but people absolutely CRUSHED Yzerman when he signed Girardi and Girardi has been really good for TB. Not $3M good, but not nearly the dumpster fire that Rangers fans couldn't wait to claim he was.

I have a feeling a lot of guys were being used above their abilities in NY.

It has been all about poor player deployment by AV.
G on the first line was a dumpster fire, on Tampa's 3rd pair, not so much.
Just like Staal who has been playing more on the 3rd pairing, it does not expose him as much as when he was playing more minutes against better talent.

Reactions: Moon Knight

Cmac66

Apr 18, 2017
Bad about Holden? Go back and watch the highlights from any loss in last years playoffs and Holdens horrific play is stapled all over it.

In all fairness a lot of rangers fans were acting the same when we signed Girardi this off season, he hasn't done that bad at all.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Definitely not a fleecing.

Capable d-man who can play either side. Usually looked okay in a 3rd pairing role and could step up at times. Offense tapered off. Good size. Pretty solid get for Boston, really, but they likely overpaid slightly.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Oveprayment for holden, but its the TDL so everything is.

Grizz insurance, more veteran D insurance..only gave up a 3rd rounder and O'Gara. Don't love it but don't hate it.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Holden is fine as a 3rd pairing LD and has the versatility to play both sides. He makes some mind-numbingly stupid mistakes, but he’s a good dude.

What’s the scouting report on O’Gara?

Reactions: Off Sides

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
I said it was a good move for the Lightning. Girardi showed signs of life in last years playoff. And the biggest problem was AV's massive overuse of Girardi, all of the venom spit towards G was misdirected.
In other words, you have no clue.

I'm fine with Holden as a depth guy. He wont be massively overused, which should prevent misdirected criticism.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
In the end, it's a trade for depth. It's not going to help the Bruins much and I don't see him playing many games unless the Bruins roll 7D in the playoffs.

He's bad but I bet he's still better than a guy like Roman Polak who is really only good at penalty killing and icing the puck.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
It's fair value. Does anyone know anything about this O'Gara guy?

He's big and pretty mobile for his size. Those are his pluses. The definition of vanilla overall. Zero physicality. Doesn't provide any offense from the back end, yet not really a shutdown defensive player either. Despite all that, he's not notably bad at anything. Was essentially a finished product out of college and hasn't progressed at all. Still could be a player in a #5-7 role. Long shot, but still possible.

He turns 25 this summer. Needs a new contract. Has to clear waivers. His future in this organization was over.

Reactions: Fvital92

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Bad about Holden? Go back and watch the highlights from any loss in last years playoffs and Holdens horrific play is stapled all over it.

Don't Rangers fans seem to say that about many of their dmen over the years?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Fair trade. Insurance for Boston for the playoff stretch - if one of Chara, Grz, or Krug go down, then their next NHL ready LHD is Tommy Cross and we all saw how well that worked out for the Bruins last year.

O'Gara is a bit of a project but he has some upside. Skates well for a big guy, but not that physical and he has limited offensive skills. If he ever makes it, it'll be as a bottom pairing/bench player.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
In all fairness a lot of rangers fans were acting the same when we signed Girardi this off season, he hasn't done that bad at all.

Girardi on the top pairing in AV's ridiculous stupid system is a lot different than Girardi getting 3rd pairing minutes on the best team in the league.

Most of us saw Girardi thriving with Tampa as soon as he signed there. Just like Gaborik in LA, Boyle and Stralman in TB and Haggy in Pitt.

Reactions: Off Sides

Jimbo9966

Feb 15, 2012
Montreal
I don't get how people can say the bruins lost this trade when that third round is going to be almost a 4th. This just adds depth for the bruins cup run.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
1. Weren't NYR fans quite happy with Holden last season?

2. Does anyone not remember what happened last playoffs to Boston? They had like 4 regulars out and had to play their #10D Tommy Cross which directly lost them a game in OT.

Trading a 3rd and a 25yo AHL player when your pool is as deep as Boston's is a small price to pay for a deep defense.

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
Happy to have Holden off the team and even happier for the return. He played great for some stretches last year, scored a few timely goals. So long as you keep him from being over utilized he'll be a serviceable bottom pair d man. Decent depth pick-up for the Bs.

Lots of Rangers fans are bursting with joy because AV has a tendency to misuse and over use players like Holden

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
O'Gara is a big LHD (6'4") who skates really well for his size. He doesn't have much offensive upside and his physical game is inconsistent but I think he's likely a bottom pair D long term. He's likely behind 5 or 6 other prospects with higher upside on the Bruins and he's an RFA this year so it makes sense to move him. Also, he's already 24 and will be 25 in July so calling him a "prospect" is a bit of a stretch.

Holden is not a very good player and these assets are pretty fungible, so my reaction is mostly "meh."
I gave you a like because of the use of the word fungible, which is so horribly underused in today's society!

Reactions: burstnbloom

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
Holden is fine as a 3rd pairing LD and has the versatility to play both sides. He makes some mind-numbingly stupid mistakes, but he’s a good dude.

What’s the scouting report on O’Gara?

AHL career: size, but soft as butter.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
I don't get how people can say the bruins lost this trade when that third round is going to be almost a 4th. This just adds depth for the bruins cup run.

I mean I like the trade a lot. O'Gara doesn't seem to have much upside and i'll absolutely take some insurance on D for a 3rd round pick.

Looks like Sweeney is riding with what he has but is adding a few insurance pieces where he can.

Reactions: Jimbo9966 and jw2

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Once upon a time, Chris Campoli was traded for a 1st at the deadline. I don't know what fair value is for depth defensemen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad