Confirmed Trade: [NYR/BOS]Nick Holden for Rob O'Gara + 2018 3rd round pick

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Holden is so underrated.

He’s a serviceable NHL Dmen that can play both sides, and has experience.

Boston wasn’t fleeced. It’s a good trade for both teams.

Underrated? Staal-Holden was the death of us in last years playoffs. The most atrocious play I've ever seen from two players.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
O'Gara is probably the better player (especially considering age).

No chance Holden bumps McQuaid or Miller out of #7 and probably struggles to beat Postma out of #8.

Not a good one from Dealer Donny

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I have a feeling Holden does really well to start with the Bruins and then when the playoffs roll around everyone turns on him. When he started last year with the Rangers he looked like a 3D the first 2 months in and had 34 points.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Really good trade for NY I think, Ogara could be a good 5-6 guy and the 3rd is always good when you're about to rebuild

Gotta think Sweeney's pro scouts see something in Holden, he had a decent year last year for the price and NY overall has been bad this year so perhaps he can provide good depth in lieu of McQuaid - Miller's injury could be one of those long term nagging things when they know they'll need more depth going into this crazy stretch of games for the team

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
O'Gara is a big LHD (6'4") who skates really well for his size. He doesn't have much offensive upside and his physical game is inconsistent but I think he's likely a bottom pair D long term. He's likely behind 5 or 6 other prospects with higher upside on the Bruins and he's an RFA this year so it makes sense to move him. Also, he's already 24 and will be 25 in July so calling him a "prospect" is a bit of a stretch.

Holden is not a very good player and these assets are pretty fungible, so my reaction is mostly "meh."

Reactions: WPGNYRFan

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
ultimately time will tell as cliche as it may be, but a 3rd and a player for Holden is pretty darn good.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
O'Gara is big and can move well for a big guy. No physicality. Might as well not go past his own blue line. Less than zero offense and not great puck mover. He can play both sides. Upside of a Hal Gill type career.

So a non-physical version of Hall Gill? Sounds like a career AHLer to me

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I think most Ranger fans are just happy that Holden is gone and off the top pairing so they got too excited. We didn't fleece Boston, it's a late 3rd and O' Gara who has 6/7D potential in him
I'm still really happy with the trade though

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
I don't watch Rangers games, so I can't speak with my own eyes on Holden, but people absolutely CRUSHED Yzerman when he signed Girardi and Girardi has been really good for TB. Not $3M good, but not nearly the dumpster fire that Rangers fans couldn't wait to claim he was.

I have a feeling a lot of guys were being used above their abilities in NY.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I don't even care who O'Gara is, the fact that Rangers got a 3rd for Holden, who cost them a 4th a few seasons ago.....is outstanding.

Now........Holden is probably a pretty decent 3rd pairing guy when deployed when sheltered and not 15+ minutes a game. Here in NY, AV used him on the 1st line often and that exposed a multitude of his suckiness.

But this just goes to show people that we, here on this forum, are only guessing as to what GM's are thinking and that most of us really have no idea.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
O'Gara is probably the better player (especially considering age).

No chance Holden bumps McQuaid or Miller out of #7 and probably struggles to beat Postma out of #8.

Not a good one from Dealer Donny
Yes that’s why OGara is still in Providence, due to his tremendous up side, lol.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I cannot believe that people can talk this bad about Holden but somehow ADA is playing great. Bruins fans you'll be fine. He's not going to need to play a ton. A solid depth move and if you have injuries he can slot up a little bit in the lineup.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I don't watch Rangers games, so I can't speak with my own eyes on Holden, but people absolutely CRUSHED Yzerman when he signed Girardi and Girardi has been really good for TB. Not $3M good, but not nearly the dumpster fire that Rangers fans couldn't wait to claim he was.

I have a feeling a lot of guys were being used above their abilities in NY.

I said it was a good move for the Lightning. Girardi showed signs of life in last years playoff. And the biggest problem was AV's massive overuse of Girardi, all of the venom spit towards G was misdirected.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Not a bad deal for either team. Bruins need some depth on D since they're preparing for playoffs. They're good on RD, but need someone on LD. Holden will be used on the 3rd pair as opposed to the 1st pair when he was on the Rangers.

Bruins have a lot of games coming up in March without much rest, gotta think they will rest some of their young guns here and there or worst-case as a potential injury replacement. Better to be prepared. Rangers get a few good pieces to start their rebuild.

Reactions: 37Bergenov14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad