Confirmed Trade: [NYR/BOS]Nick Holden for Rob O'Gara + 2018 3rd round pick

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
So the real question is is the market THAT high for sellers this year, or is it just that Sweeney is still as clueless as ever about value?

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Depth guy for the Bruins. Chill, 3rd is fair price for a decent depth guy.

you didn't watch Holden in last year's playoffs? I'd reckon he was on the ice for at least half the goals we gave up, especially against Ottawa.

Holden in la la land

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
This is ridiculous. Hes not a top pairing defenseman. When he is used like one, he looks terrible. When he is used properly, he is a decent defenseman.
He was literally the sole reason for almost every single tying & game-winning goal against in last years playoffs. He is one of the worst defensemen in the NHL.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Holden isnt as bad as many NYR fans says he is. In way over his head on NYR top pair though. Decent depth defensemen who can play in the top 4 at times if needed. Was absolutely horrible in the playoffs last season with Staal. Dont think i have seen a worse pair in the NHL than Staal-Holden in the playoffs last season. Was absolutely crazy how bad they played...

Reactions: Lays

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
But why? Grzelcyk has been fine and the B's have depth with Miller and Postma.

They are deep on the right side. With McAvoy, Carlo, Miller, McQuaid, Postma.

On the left it's Chara, Krug, Grezlyck.... and nobody ready in Providence.

Statistically the best defense in the league... It's just left handed depth on the back end.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
don't really understand the trade for Boston. I thought our defense has looked solid and we have some depth already. That said, I think it's funny that people are saying we got fleeced, O'gara was a fringe prospect, and a 3rd rounder which is currently at the end of the round isn't exactly a ransom.

I guess we can probably kill the McDonagh rumors though.

Reactions: bryson21

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
O'Gara is big and can move well for a big guy. No physicality. Might as well not go past his own blue line. Less than zero offense and not great puck mover. He can play both sides. Upside of a Hal Gill type career.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Holden is not nearly as bad as his reputation would lead one to believe. He's a solid bottom pair defender for any team. Just had too much responsibility on the Rangers. Good pickup for boston, happy with the third as a rangers fan.
Exactly my sentiments. Holden is a good 3rd pair D that can step up to the 2nd pair for short periods of time and not look terrible. He was playing on the Top Pair for us. Of course he was going to look bad. A 3rd Round Pick is a fair price to pay for a player like that. I can't believe people are throwing around the word "fleeced" over a f***ing 3rd Rounder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad