Confirmed Trade: [NYR/BOS]Nick Holden for Rob O'Gara + 2018 3rd round pick

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I like O'Gara. He's got a chance to be an NHL player but he was ranked as the #6 defense prospect by Bruins fans at the start of the season and was undoubtedly passed by Gryz.

Wiley Sherman will graduate in a couple months and Urho Vaakanainen will be coming over so there just wasn't any room for him at all but he will get a chance to play in NY with a bit less pressure to perform and might develop.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/hf-bruins-top-25-prospects-list.2387875/

RoyalDuder

Dec 26, 2011
NY
Good win-win trade. Holden is serviceable as a 3rd pair guy and the pick is valuable for the Rangers. Anyone saying the Bruins got "fleeced" for a late 3rd is taking crazy pills.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Holden is going to play more then people think and really help keeping Bruins fresh down the stretch .Bruins lost to Ottawa last year because of issues on backend with injuries This is a player who has experience and is going to play on a better team now.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
O'Gara has a penchant for getting stripped from behind in the defensive zone. This is due him being unable to process his passing options quickly enough.

Good body. Good skating. Bad brain.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Holden is trash. He has moments when you think he might be decent and then just goes and screws the pooch with horrendous play.
Getting a 3rd is a fair trade. O'Gara is another body for Hartford.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Holden is going to play more then people think and really help keeping Bruins fresh down the stretch .Bruins lost to Ottawa last year because of issues on backend with injuries This is a player who has experience and is going to play on a better team now.
Yes, a better team this season, but the Rangers nearly went to the ECF last year and Holden was their worst player. They probably should have with anyone more competent.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
So the rangers waived Smith because he was out of shape and not because of his play?

Im going to call BS on that one. No one pays $4M for a guy not to play just because he's out of shape if he's still playing well :laugh:

He didn't play well because he was out of shape, if you can't put two and two together, you've got more problems then an argument with someone on a hockey board

Gravey22

Nov 19, 2017
Yeh, no bad. If holden was waived coming out of camp everyone would have leaped for joy!! Mid Draft pick and who knows if the Irishman can make the NHL. Heard can actually defend which is nice! DeA, Pionk, Gilmour and Sproul is a bit much. Like to see me some Graves along witjh O'Gara.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Yes, a better team this season, but the Rangers nearly went to the ECF last year and Holden was their worst player. They probably should have with anyone more competent.

Staal was right there with him, but then again, that's why they were on the ice together for two crucial goals against that lead to blown leads at the end of two different games forcing overtime and the Rangers went on to lose those games.

AV was an idiot for putting them back out there the second time with under two minutes left, not learning his lesson. Holden was an embarrassment in the Ottawa series. He clearly can't handle faster more skilled players, even in matchups that were somewhat favorable for him, not having to face the opposition's top pairings on a nightly basis.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
As a Bruins fan seeing Leafs add nothing to a weak defence makes me happy :laugh:.Good luck with that cause prices are huge.
The Leafs have little to no chance this year.
I'm more than fine standing pat and rolling the dice. Much better than wasting assets on players like Holden.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Don’t despair my Boston brothers and sisters. Holden will be fine. AV’s system is a defenseman killer. Just look at Dan Girardi doing well in Tampa.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Holden doesn’t make a ton of mistakes but when he does, it’s a doozie. Don’t play him against Ottawa in the last minute of a tight game, just sayin.....

Good trade for NYR, most fans would have been happy with one or the other, ok trade for Boston but Holden will be fine with proper modulation I mean utilization. 1.65 prorated for his experience and occasional offensive contribution is good for the B’s.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Don’t despair my Boston brothers and sisters. Holden will be fine. AV’s system is a defenseman killer. Just look at Dan Girardi doing well in Tampa.

Holden will be expected to contribute 3rd pairing (rotational depth). About 10 minutes a night against against other teams bottom 6.

Last year due to injury the Bruins were forced to use their number 9 and 10 guys from AHL because of injury. Im ok with a late 3rd for this.
I'd prefer a bigger deal but I can see why it was done.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I love the reaction by NYR fans. Reminds me of the time when we traded Holden away.

How can Bruins handle the future without the one and only, NHLer O'Gara?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
O’Gara can be a bottom pairing guy, and Holden will likely play really well behind Chara and Krug.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
The Leafs have little to no chance this year.
I'm more than fine standing pat and rolling the dice. Much better than wasting assets on players like Holden.

I understand wanting to stand pat if you are a Leaf's fan, they are just getting started on being a good team. Mathews has a lot of years left, the core of the team is young and the management can build the team to compete for many years. I think trading for Holden might be a waste for Toronto since they need more than a depth guy for the playoffs, for the Bruins they are giving up a 3rd and a guy who needed to be re-signed and who was buried on the depth chart and was getting passed by every new D prospect. O'Gara was way down on the depth chart, they most likely were looking to deal him because they were not going to offer him a new contract.

The Bruins have a couple of other guys who I kind of expect to moved in deals for depth players because the Bruins will have to waive them to put them in the AHL next year. It's move them or lose them for a few Bruins prospects.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Not Holden... Boston fans last year said O’Gara would get Lando.

I think you may be misremembering.

If not I'd love to see it.
Most of the talk was for Carlo being the young D plus going to the Avs. Not O'Gara.

I mean yeah, they're both tall and wear black & gold . But nobody but nobody that has ever seen them would compare the two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad