Confirmed Trade: [NYR/BOS]Nick Holden for Rob O'Gara + 2018 3rd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
This was an overpay which is fine. Now lets get the second half of the deal done. Bjork, Louzan and a first for McDonagh.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Except he really didn't, he's been brutal.

If he played well, then the Rangers would have kept him, especially for what it's going to cost them.

Again, you keep trying to create a false narrative. Smith screwed himself. Holden didn't do anything to support what you're saying.

You can keep going with your vendetta against smith and your "haha I told you so" crusade against every Ranger fan, but your false narrative isn't correct by any stretch.

So you're saying Smith played better than Holden this season?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Imo this was a good deal for both teams.

NYR essentially rented Holden for two years at negative cost - paid a fourth for him and got back a third and a borderline NHLer.

The Bruins get a good third pairing d-man to rotate in and have some extra insurance for the postseason. So long as their coach doesn't rely on him to play vital shut down minutes like AV did (and I can't imagine he will since AV is uniquely insane), he'll be fine and do well enough to be worth what they gave up for him.

Reactions: BHD

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
We’re fortunate enough to be considered cup contenders while being loaded with prospects. Something Rangers fans wouldn’t know. So enjoy your 3rd rounder and I hope you guys get the next McDonaugh 5 years from now! #Rebuild

I'll gladly take Andersson and Shestyorkin over anyone in the Bruins prospect pool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RangerGuru

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I liked a lot about Holden in Colorado. Perhaps this is oddly specific, but he’s really good at the back door sneak for the goal. Play him on the 3rd pairing and the PP and I think the Bruins will be pleasantly surprised.

Reactions: Oxymoron

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Sweeney said it best. This is purely insurance (we had to rely on McAvoy/Tommy Cross/Joe Morrow last season because of injuries to our blue line) plus he anticipates this creating matchup nightmares for other teams. Consider that Holden is currently playing against top lines (albeit poorly according to most Rags fans), if you have a guy who is used to playing top lines playing your third pairing I think that really bodes well long term for a playoff run for the Bruins.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Sweeney said it best. This is purely insurance (we had to rely on McAvoy/Tommy Cross/Joe Morrow last season because of injuries to our blue line) plus he anticipates this creating matchup nightmares for other teams. Consider that Holden is currently playing against top lines (albeit poorly according to most Rags fans), if you have a guy who is used to playing top lines playing your third pairing I think that really bodes well long term for a playoff run for the Bruins.

Can I interest you in Marc Staal?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Go get hooked on phonics and come back.

I've already stated what happened several times.
Exactly, you said Smith was worse because he was out of shape. Which doesn't change the fact that he was still worse, hence why the Rangers are paying $4M for a guy to not be on their team.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Exactly, you said Smith was worse because he was out of shape. Which doesn't change the fact that he was still worse, hence why the Rangers are paying $4M for a guy to not be on their team.

It doesn't say anything at all about Holden being better or playing well. It said Smith screwed himself. Not Holden outplayed him.

Holden has been brutal, stop trying to change things, especially when you don't watch this team. Stick to Detroit.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
It doesn't say anything at all about Holden being better or playing well. It said Smith screwed himself. Not Holden outplayed him.

Holden has been brutal, stop trying to change things, especially when you don't watch this team. Stick to Detroit.

Maybe he has been bad, still doesn't change that Smith is worse. Hence why one is in the minors and the other was caught after by other teams. Not really debatable.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Holden will be fine. I always thought he had good stick-handling and more to his game than we NYR fans make it seem. At least as HFNYR makes it seem.

The trade got only better finding out that the body they sent us, actually has the potential to be a 5-6 dman. Not physical enough but ok, we'll have to see.

Reactions: Off Sides

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Not a UFA ;)

but clearly fits the criteria of.......

Consider that Holden is currently playing against top lines (albeit poorly according to most Rags fans), if you have a guy who is used to playing top lines playing your third pairing I think that really bodes well long term for a playoff run for the Bruins.

Which was where I went with that in asking.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016

Does any one wish Klein was back at this point?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Maybe he has been bad, still doesn't change that Smith is worse. Hence why one is in the minors and the other was caught after by other teams. Not really debatable.

No, it is debatable because if the Rangers had played their younger guys earlier and Holden wasn't an impending UFA that needed to be showcased, Holden would have been in the minors as well.

You have no idea of what you're talking about other than a reported transaction. Stop talking about the Rangers like you have a clue. You're clearly lost.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
No, it is debatable because if the Rangers had played their younger guys earlier and Holden wasn't an impending UFA that needed to be showcased, Holden would have been in the minors as well.

You have no idea of what you're talking about other than a reported transaction. Stop talking about the Rangers like you have a clue. You're clearly lost.

You know the right way to showcase someone is to give them cushy zone starts and PP time, right? Like how Tampa did with Drouin? Its not by giving someone hardcore difficult assignments like the Rangers did. Holden hasn't been great in that role, but your logic of "if they were trying to showcase him, he could have been in the minors" doesn't hold up to any scrutiny at all. Holden was in that role because the Rangers are bad and he was the best of the garbage they had to choose from. Thats it. Either that, of the Rangers management is totally incompetent and decided to showcase a player by putting him in the worse situation possible.

Actually, I am hoping you are right and everyone else is wrong. Because that means the Rangers management is incompetent and will mess up the McD deal.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
You know the right way to showcase someone is to give them cushy zone starts and PP time, right? Like how Tampa did with Drouin? Its not by giving someone hardcore difficult assignments like the Rangers did. Holden hasn't been great in that role, but your logic of "if they were trying to showcase him, he could have been in the minors" doesn't hold up to any scrutiny at all. Holden was in that role because the Rangers are bad and he was the best of the garbage they had to choose from. Thats it. Either that, of the Rangers management is totally incompetent and decided to showcase a player by putting him in the worse situation possible.

Actually, I am hoping you are right and everyone else is wrong. Because that means the Rangers management is incompetent and will mess up the McD deal.

AV is incompetent, not Gorton.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
AV is incompetent, not Gorton.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Ok so lets parse that out.

You are saying AV is incompetent. I agree mind you.

So how does that relate to Holden? You said Holden was being played to pair to showcase.

So does that mean that AV is in charge of showcasing talent? And AV decided to put Holden on the top pair? Well, that doesn't make any sense.

What does make sense is that, like everywhere else, AV is in charge of trying to get wins today. And Gorton is concerned about the short and long term as the GM. This was a team that was trying to get into the playoffs and they put the best roster they could forward. AV thought that from the crap he could choose from, that Holden was his best bet for a partner for McD. Now, AV sucks I guess (despite bring a team to the finals) and he could have been wrong, but your whole argument was based on a bunch of garbage.

Last edited by a moderator:

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Watch Holden bounce back. People have really short memory, it's like Justin Schultz to Pittsburgh never happened.

AV is brutal but he's nowhere near as toxic as what was going on in Edmonton to think he was holding back a mediocre NHL defender. And the talent was always there with Schultz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad