Confirmed Trade: [NYR/BOS]Nick Holden for Rob O'Gara + 2018 3rd round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Holden came to the Rangers and the board basically lambasted Gorton and Sather for taking on a huge pile of $#*&. Holden made the most of the opportunity, and ended up on the top pairing for the Rangers with McDonagh. Zero expectation, with solid results. Happy for Holden that he is moving on to a contender right now.

Gorton getting a 3rd and a potential roster player back is looking pretty good in this one. If I had to rate the deal its a slight win for Gorton. If the B's come out of the Eastern conf its a win for them.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Holden will never get to 2nd/1st pairing territory unless injuries go crazy. He will be Bostons #4 LD and #8D overall.
Hey no one on here would have ever thought Dan Girardi would be on the ice for the Lightning 6 on 5 with empty net 2 min left manning the point with Hedman. For the entire 2 minutes. Anything is possible lol. True tho Holden is a depth guy there for now.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
A 3rd round pick is an over payment? Come back here in 5 years from now and let me know how that pick is working out.

O'Gara would never play in Boston again as the Bruins LHD depth chart is pretty solid. Although junk in last years playoffs, Holden at least has playoff experience and could come in handy as a #6-7 dman. Last year the Bruins were decimated with injuries and called up guys like Tommy Cross ffs. Good move imo by Sweeney.
5 years ago Matt Murray, Shayne Gostisbehere, Colton Parayko and Freddy Anderson were all 3rd round picks in the same (2012) draft. Josh Anderson (4th), Jakob Slavin (4th), Cedric Paquette (4th), Andreas Athanasiou (4th), Alex Kerfoot (5th), Colin Miller (5th), Conor Hellebuyck (5th) and Conor Brown (6th) were all later round picks in that same draft.

Brad Marchand was also a 3rd Rd pick a couple years earlier.

Sure, misses > hits by the 3rd, but a 3rd definitely has value.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
5 years ago Matt Murray, Shayne Gostisbehere, Colton Parayko and Freddy Anderson were all 3rd round picks in the same (2012) draft. Josh Anderson (4th), Jakob Slavin (4th), Cedric Paquette (4th), Andreas Athanasiou (4th), Alex Kerfoot (5th), Colin Miller (5th), Conor Hellebuyck (5th) and Conor Brown (6th) were all later round picks in the same year.

Look at 2013 too.

Pesce, Buchnevich, Guentzel, Duclair, Andrighetto, Bjorkstrand. All solid players. Two of them are Rangers picks too.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
5 years ago Matt Murray, Shayne Gostisbehere, Colton Parayko and Freddy Anderson were all 3rd round picks in the same (2012) draft. Josh Anderson (4th), Jakob Slavin (4th), Cedric Paquette (4th), Andreas Athanasiou (4th), Alex Kerfoot (5th), Colin Miller (5th), Conor Hellebuyck (5th) and Conor Brown (6th) were all later round picks in that same draft.

Higher chances of panning out in the 1st and 2nd round than the 3rd. I don't have the data but I'd love to see how many first rounders have played in the NHL vs 2nd and 3rd and so on.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
As an Avs fan I still have PTSD of the Avs cycling play in the offensive zone., looking like they're assured a goal. Then the puck would find it's way to Holden. He would send the slowest, floatiest, most visible and catchable wrist shot right to the glove hand of the goalie. Killing all momentum and hope the team had at scoring. I don't know what Roy and AV saw in this player, but no other has ever frustrated me more. I feel bad for Boston fans.

Last edited:

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
Fair trade. Fine 3rd pairing guy who was asked to play a bigger role than he could. He had some blunders, but never should've been in those situations.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Keep in mind that this will be a late third rd draft pick. That being said I do think Boston overpaid for a player reaching UFA at years end. But also remember the Blackhawks traded Kempny for a third.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I like the value for us.

However, as usual, there's a lot of blind Holden bashing in here.

He had some of the best analytics on the Rangers playing some of the hardest minutes. He's a very serviceable NHL player.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
Holden is a fine bottom pairing guy, the issue is that he always finds himself as the Coaches pet and gets severely overplayed which means he plays bad because he just can't handle a bigger role.

I really don't understand why this happens but it does...

JayMan82

Apr 5, 2006
South Carolina
Holden will surprise, solid two way defenseman if deployed in the correct manner (throw away all NYR 2017-18 tape of his and watch 2016-17 tape).

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
Holden is a decent pick up for a third. O'Gara is likely to give him a chance and to move out a contract. Seems a going rate seeing as kempny got it.
From what I have seen is that he does the job as a #4-5.

Problem is that bruins now have Killer, Quaider, Postma, Gryz fighting for those last 2 spots. I think that Gryz(hope not since hes been a standout) is good as gone in a trade . That or this a is a precursor for another trade.

What you're getting from O'Gara. A guy who tries hard every shift. Some shifts he's great. Some he has brain farts and he takes it to personal (visually angry) the which hell overcome. Ceiling is a #4 likely a #6/7

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012

Absolutely there are always players to be had. You just need a scouting department there to identify them

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
This thread is gold. It's completely reminiscent of when the Avs traded Holden to the Rags. I feel like there's an arc with Holden.

1st Stage: "Man, this guy looks good on the 3rd pairing, free asset for practically nothing! Easily has a 2nd round+ value"
2nd Stage: "It's ok, Holden doesn't look great but he's just on the top pairing due to injuries and will be back on the 3rd once we're healthy"
3rd Stage: "What the hell does Holden have on our coach that he's still getting 20+ minutes a night looking like absolute dog****?"

Holden- McAvoy will be the taple of the Bruins blue line in a couple years I'm sure.

Fortunately in all seriousness, I don't think Cassidy is going to play him over Grzelcyk, who has been a strong player for the team since his call-up and fits the need of a puck carrier for the third pairing with McQuaid or Miller. Holden will be good depth in case of injury, but until that happens I won't lose any sleep over this trade.

I think O'Gara will be a serviceable 3rd pairing guy if given the correct opportunity, he's shown all the marks of a good complimentary player so far. Can skate, is smart defensively and doesn't try to do too much. Would make a good pairing with someone a little more offensive oriented. Just needs an opportunity that he wasn't going to get with Zboril, Lauzon and Vaakanainen coming up through the Bruins system.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Like this deal a lot. Big bodied veteran with experience. Holden should fit well with Bruins given the players and system around him. Also helps everyone on the blue line slot into positions better suited for them.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Totally fine with this. A third is only a third, and O'Gara is a decent prospect, but not exactly a blue chip. Best of luck to him in NY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad