Confirmed Trade: [NYR/BOS]Nick Holden for Rob O'Gara + 2018 3rd round pick

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
He didn't play well because he was out of shape, if you can't put two and two together, you've got more problems then an argument with someone on a hockey board

And what's your point here. Holden out played him this season, hence why he was waived. If Smith wasn't out of shape, maybe he would have out played him, but he was out of shape, so he didn't.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Lot of stupid and weird posts in a thread where it’s a clear example of a team paying a rental price for a dmen, which is something we see every year.

Holden is a good guy and a great teammate. Keep him on your third pair, or use him on the second pair in a pinch, and you’ll be happy. It’s not Holden’s fault that AV played him past his capabilities. Sweeney got a guy who can add insurance to cover for some of the younger dmen and can play both sides. It’s a perfectly fair trade that both teams win. I wish Holden all the best in Boston, and I’m eager to see what O’Gara can provide in the future.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
And what's your point here. Holden out played him this season, hence why he was waived. If Smith wasn't out of shape, maybe he would have out played him, but he was out of shape, so he didn't.

My point is that Smith outplayed Holden when he was in shape. Smith screwed himself by making a poor choice.

Holden didn't do anything to outplay smith and has been brutal this season.

Stop trying to create a false narrative to bolster an argument that you don't have.

Reactions: bl02

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
HF is so comical. This is simply a cup contending team adding D depth. He’ll play as our number 6 or 7th D. Last year we had Tommy Cross playing in the playoffs because we had so many injuries on D.

We know what we got and the market has been set for that.

I’m curious to see what’s next for the Bruins at the TD. We’re fortunate enough to be considered cup contenders while being loaded with prospects. Something Rangers fans wouldn’t know. So enjoy your 3rd rounder and I hope you guys get the next McDonaugh 5 years from now! #Rebuild

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Holden is fine. AV's defensive system is atrocious. He can be pretty good in the right system. Nice depth add for Boston. For the Rangers, safety in numbers with mid round picks. If you have 3-4 third round picks, hopefully one hits.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Good trade for both sides. Boston gets a good 5/6 or one of the top 7's around, Rangers get a pick better than they used to originally acquire Holden plus a prospect who could be a decent depth guy.

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Good move for both teams. Hope O Gara has a chance in Ranger uniform soon. He would have had a difficult time cracking the bruins roster.
He’ll probably crack the Ranger lineup soon. In fact by Monday evening they will grabbing people off the street in front of the Garden who know how to stay up on skates just to have a 20 man roster.

Reactions: toreykingkrug

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
My point is that Smith outplayed Holden when he was in shape. Smith screwed himself by making a poor choice.

Holden didn't do anything to outplay smith and has been brutal this season.

Stop trying to create a false narrative to bolster an argument that you don't have.

"Didnt do anything to out play Smith".... except, you know, actually play better than Smith this season?

Maliks PlusMinus

May 28, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
"Didnt do anything to out play Smith".... except, you know, actually play better than Smith this season?

I take your point, but I guess what the guy was trying to say is that to play worse than Smith would have taken a real effort, whereas to be better was to play like an ECHL'er (not that I'm saying Holden is one).

Very happy with the trade, Holden was not someone I rated at all, but he will still probably be the best piece in this move when we look back in a few years, so it makes sense for the Bruins. Fingers crossed I'm wrong.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island

Except he really didn't, he's been brutal.

If he played well, then the Rangers would have kept him, especially for what it's going to cost them.

Again, you keep trying to create a false narrative. Smith screwed himself. Holden didn't do anything to support what you're saying.

You can keep going with your vendetta against smith and your "haha I told you so" crusade against every Ranger fan, but your false narrative isn't correct by any stretch.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Holden is extremely underrated. As a 3-6 guy he can eat valuable minutes effectively. Just don't be surprised when he gets in trouble on your top pairing (cough..AV)

Good move for Boston, excellent asset management by the Rangers

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Holden is extremely underrated. As a 3-6 guy he can eat valuable minutes effectively. Just don't be surprised when he gets in trouble on your top pairing (cough..AV)

Good move for Boston, excellent asset management by the Rangers
Holden is a bottom pairing guy at best. He has an occasional flash of offense, but is consistently a cone in his own end. I would much rather get rid of him and pay a kid league minimum.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Holden is a bottom pairing guy at best. He has an occasional flash of offense, but is consistently a cone in his own end. I would much rather get rid of him and pay a kid league minimum.

Thats exactly what screwed the Bruins last year, playing a kid league minimum and having to actually play him in the playoffs.

This trade is ALL insurance for the Bruins.

Reactions: Bergyesque

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
My take, Short version: Holden is a decent/good 3rd pair, who can move up need be. The Bruins paid about the right price to rent him.

I think this is a pretty fair deal. If the Rangers last year rented a player like Holden for a 3rd and say Graves, who is may be close to the equivalent value of O Gara (who admittedly I don't know anything about) that would have been fair. Renting Smith for a 2nd and 3rd was advantage Detroit.

Holden has pros and cons, He can get involved in the offense and be decent, yet sometimes those pinches are his undoing. He is not a bad puck mover, but again if he kept it more simple it would help his game. I was never a fan of his extended in zone defense, but under AV that is a badly coordinated fire drill regardless of who is out there yet I don't see Holden helping much in that regard even under a different coach. If the Bruins have enough defenders to put out there against the other teams best, if they can get those match-ups, likely Holden can do well enough against the lesser opposition players. I would not be surprised if both teams like what they end up with out of this deal.

Yet with that said, Bruins would still be better if they traded all their best prospects and picks to the Rangers for some of the other players the Rangers are selling. ;)

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Thats exactly what screwed the Bruins last year, playing a kid league minimum and having to actually play him in the playoffs.

This trade is ALL insurance for the Bruins.
Good luck with that. Did you happen to catch him play during last years playoffs? You might have a different view if you did.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad