Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Ross Johnston signs extension with the Islanders (4 years, $1.1M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Manhattan

Dec 23, 2013
Stockholm
If it’s your guy it is your guy.

Playing tight games with stand up guys >>>> Playing tight games without stand up guys.

For the ones bashing him and this deal:
Have you ever played sports and specificly Ice hockey?
Everyone in a team knows their value to the team and community. The other players grow 3 inches with those guys on the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: leetch99 and Konk

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
If it’s your guy it is your guy.

Playing tight games with stand up guys >>>> Playing tight games without stand up guys.

For the one’s basgångar him and this deal:
Have you ever played sports and specificly Ice hockey?
Everyone in a team knows their value to the team and community. The other players grow 3 inches with those guys on the team.

That's exactly it. These keyboard GMs don't understand some players have value beyond TOI and point totals. I think they're just mad Ross makes more than they ever will working at burger king or whatever worthless job they have.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
I have no issue with paying in term to retain a young guy you feel will be a 4th for the duration of the term. That should generally be reserved for a player with upside, because when the play of 4th liners falls off, they are no longer NHL players. Ultimately, its a question of talent evaluation - it always sucks when you have a good team that struggles because they can't find reliable 4th liners so I understand the attraction in locking in those players.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
lol yeah I am mad that Ross Johnston makes more money than me, thats certainly it! What an asinine comment.

anyways, like I Said....glad you Isles fans are happy with your glutton of 4th liners signed forever. Good luck!

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
as I said, its not the money...its the term

and when you add up Komarov and Johnston and 6 years for Cizikas and 4 years for Martin etc etc

if ya'll Isles fans are happy with it, so be it I guess. But I can tell you from experience that this Lou ride is a dangerous one.
Do you think that this barely above league minimum deal will be a problem for the isles in four years?

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
what about "its not the money" do you not understand? Its tying up 4th liners/13th forwards to longterm contract slots.
We have an nhl role player for barely any money above minimum. who cares if it’s for two, three, or four years? It’s not an anchor contract. You’re just looking to find fault to find fault.

Reactions: MattMartin

Jan 21, 2018
The term lets them move Ross to the AHL if needed, without risking him being claimed.

So isles fans are praising Lou for overpaying a 4th liner because it ensures that not a single NHL team has interest in him?

Again, just so I understand this right, isles fans are happy with giving a 4th liner 4 years of term because it makes him worthless to other teams?

:help:

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

Jan 21, 2018
Horrible. Wasting money on players that hardly play/contribute is why we lose players like Toews/Leddy and replace them with Chara.

Wow I am actually shocked to find an isles fan who isn’t afraid to speak the truth. Lou overpaying bottom 6 players is a major reason why the Isles lost Toews and still haven’t landed a legit winger for Barzal.

Thanks for making a non-homer post, it was quite refreshing seeing that there are isles fans that know their GM isn’t responsible for the recent success they’ve had. He’s hiding behind the success of the best coach in the league, I’d give Trotz the jack adams every year for what he’s done with that roster.

Jan 21, 2018
Yeah, how’s your team doing?

1. Gets called out for making a terrible post
2. Runs out of options, immediately decides to talk about the leafs who have absolutely nothing to do with this thread

Sorry, I have no interest in derailing this thread. It’s much more entertaining calling out homers and their awful logic.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
lol yeah I am mad that Ross Johnston makes more money than me, thats certainly it! What an asinine comment.

anyways, like I Said....glad you Isles fans are happy with your glutton of 4th liners signed forever. Good luck!

Don’t forget the two 27 year old top paring defenseman signed forever(8yrs) and a COMBINED $3mil AAV more than Dougie Hamilton or PK Subban alone.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
1. Gets called out for making a terrible post
2. Runs out of options, immediately decides to talk about the leafs who have absolutely nothing to do with this thread

Sorry, I have no interest in derailing this thread. It’s much more entertaining calling out homers and their awful logic.
I just asked how your team is doing. Didn’t ask about your insecurities.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Don’t forget the two 27 year old top paring defenseman signed forever(8yrs) and a COMBINED $3mil AAV more than Dougie Hamilton or PK Subban alone.

PK Subban sucks ass now and the Devils didnt sign him to that contract initially

but yeah sick burn tho, way to stay on topic.

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
what about "its not the money" do you not understand? Its tying up 4th liners/13th forwards to longterm contract slots.
Once we’re talking about contract slots, rather than actual roster space or cap room (which aren’t really an issue with this deal given the dollar value), that’s a pretty negligible downside.

I don’t think any Isles fan has an issue with the Cizikas and Martin deals, but if you want to argue they’re suboptimal roster construction it’s a fair view. (I hope we don’t give Clutterbuck another long deal.) This isn’t the same thing.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
PK Subban sucks ass now and the Devils didnt sign him to that contract initially

but yeah sick burn tho, way to stay on topic.
Isn’t the topic that overpaying Ross Johnston is going to lead to failure in the future (silly to begin with but, well, that’s what you’re arguing)?

Well, the amazing deals of Pelech and Pulock more than make up for it I’d say…

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Isn’t the topic that overpaying Ross Johnston is going to lead to failure in the future (silly to begin with but, well, that’s what you’re arguing)?

Well, the amazing deals of Pelech and Pulock more than make up for it I’d say…
I hope that the isles could recover. I appreciate the concern from fans of other teams regarding this issue.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad