Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Ross Johnston signs extension with the Islanders (4 years, $1.1M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Lou turned it around by hiring Trotz which was admittedly a great move. Most of the actual pieces were already in place when he got to the Isles...which is exactly the same thing that happened in Toronto.

Lou left the Devils cupboard completely barren when he left, hence the Devils struggles over the past few years.
And in the 6 years since, the Devils haven't fixed that cupboard. They haven't drafted an impact player, including two 1OA that have largely disappointed so far. They traded for bloated Subban, and overpaid Hamilton. Management since Lou left, 6 years ago, hasn't fixed whatever mess Lou supoosedly left behind.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Lou turned it around by hiring Trotz which was admittedly a great move. Most of the actual pieces were already in place when he got to the Isles...which is exactly the same thing that happened in Toronto.

Lou left the Devils cupboard completely barren when he left, hence the Devils struggles over the past few years.
I don't think for a second that Trotz even considers taking the Islander job without Lou being part of the organization.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
And in the 6 years since, the Devils haven't fixed that cupboard. They haven't drafted an impact player, including two 1OA that have largely disappointed so far. They traded for bloated Subban, and overpaid Hamilton. Management since Lou left, 6 years ago, hasn't fixed whatever mess Lou supoosedly left behind.

sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about!

Not surprising, though.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
I'm not salty at all...just commenting based on my team's history with Lou and knowing how he operates, is all. Its funny that pretty much all fans of the other teams outside of NYI have said its a weird/bad contract, but its whatever. As I said, if you guys are happy...have at it.

Also, this is not the Islanders forum, its the trade/FA forum. Other fans are allowed to comment.

FYI- the reason we've had so many issues over the past 3-4 years is BECAUSE of the state of the team that Lou left us...you do know that right?

You keep posting about how terrible Lou is all the time, we know that he hurt your feelings. To be honest, we could not care less.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
so do the Colorado Avalanche not have Cup aspirations?
They definitely do but just because Dom Lushchdsthhchsthhnsometimesy's model puts them at 180 points doesn't make up for the lack of secondary scoring. It's going to kill them in the playoffs.

Anyway, back to the thread, this is perhaps the best signing ever for Ross Johnson. Can we all not just be happy a guy is getting a million for eight years while probably only playing less than 150 games in the NHL? I'd sign up for that every day of the week. HERE'S TO CHARACTER, ROSS HAS A PLETHORA OF IT. WHAT A JOHNSON!!

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
They definitely do but just because Dom Lushchdsthhchsthhnsometimesy's model puts them at 180 points doesn't make up for the lack of secondary scoring. It's going to kill them in the playoffs.

Anyway, back to the thread, this is perhaps the best signing ever for Ross Johnson. Can we all not just be happy a guy is getting a million for eight years while probably only playing less than 150 games in the NHL? I'd sign up for that every day of the week. HERE'S TO CHARACTER, ROSS HAS A PLETHORA OF IT. WHAT A JOHNSON!!
Yep, one writer from the Athletic made Colorado a Cup favorite, and not their 39-13-4 record (and they had a 11 day COVID shutdown in February and 5 day one in April so they had very compressed schedule).

And Toews led led the Avalanche defenseman in Even Strength and Overall ATOI.

Johnston’s contract can be buried but teams only get 50 contract spots, so it’s minor but it’s not completely harmless down the line. I can’t imagine caring about that if I was a Islander fan though.

Lou signed Andrew Peters to a 2 year, 1m deal on September 29, 2009 and Eric Boulton to a 2 year, 1.115m deal on July 2 2011. Both of them were bought out after one year. Never really got what that was about, sometimes Lou does little quirky shit.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Great to see the Isles solving their Tom Wilson problem long term!
And managing to double up the contract term that the Rangers signed their Tom Wilson problem solver to is just icing on the cake.
Love seeing fourth line anachronisms who can barely skate and rarely score taking up roster space on other Metro teams...

Meh, we beat them in 5 just 2 years ago. I doubt that the islanders just keep him around for Wilson. He won't ever fight Johnston anyways. He will duck him just like he did Boulton. Wilson knows his place, he's a good little puppy.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
when someone makes a move that is worthy of laughing, I will laugh.

Lou decided to sign bums like Leo Komarov and 4th liners longterm instead of keeping a legit top pairing DMan. So yes, he deserves to be laughed at for moves such as that.

????

You just showed how little you know about ice hockey...

Until this season, Uncle Leo was one of Islanders key (role) players
played in the 1st line as well as other lines too, important role in the team and in the locker room.
important PK:er, great defending a lead, etc.etc.

Komarov just got old that's all, turns 35 next year, that's really old age for a player of his style.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
????

played in the 1st line as well as other lines too, important role in the team and in the locker room.

Komarov just got old that's all, turns 35 next year, that's really old age for a player of his style.

Leo Komarov sucks and the contract he signed was silly from the time he signed it. He has 48 points over 4 years with the Islanders...he stinks.

Saying otherwise is just pure homerism.

MetsJetsIsles22

Oct 27, 2013
Leo Komarov sucks and the contract he signed was silly from the time he signed it. He has 48 points over 4 years with the Islanders...he stinks.

clearly not flashy, but he was not signed to put up points
and most agree, it was too long of a deal, with a slight overpay for aav

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
If Komarov had been signed for 4 years at a million or so, it would have been fine. His problem was overpayment, not term.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Yes. 4 years at $1M per expiring this year, now another 4 years at $1.1M taking him to 31 yrs old.

$10M in career earnings when hes done. Not bad for a kid from PEI
Not bad for a kid from anywhere....not just PEI . It's about double the going rate on PEI for lobster fishermen/women out of high school . Per Capita....PEI probably among the leaders for millionaires under the age of 25 . A 200,000 dollar lobster license and boat from 10 years ago is now 1.8 million to buy ....forget farming...those guys are buying into the fishing now LOL .

crasherino

May 9, 2013
????

Lou admittedly gave Leo a year too many - especially when there weren't any other suitors going that long (at least that we know of). That being said, Leo was what this team needed at that point. And its not like it was a major destination spot for FAs. If they signed him to a 3 year deal instead of 4, it would have been a fine enough deal.

But overall, as Islander fan, I'm glad he is/was here. Lou hasn't been perfect in the contracts he doles out, but in the present situation with Ross, there's no downside as far as the cap goes. If you want to get real granular and say that too many 4th liners are taking up our 50 contracts, I guess that could be valid....but that's pretty deep down the priority list.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Lou admittedly gave Leo a year too many - especially when there weren't any other suitors going that long (at least that we know of). That being said, Leo was what this team needed at that point. And its not like it was a major destination spot for FAs. If they signed him to a 3 year deal instead of 4, it would have been a fine enough deal.

But overall, as Islander fan, I'm glad he is/was here. Lou hasn't been perfect in the contracts he doles out, but in the present situation with Ross, there's no downside as far as the cap goes. If you want to get real granular and say that too many 4th liners are taking up our 50 contracts, I guess that could be valid....but that's pretty deep down the priority list.

Reportedly Columbus offered a better deal. Rangers were also in the mix… Clearly Panarin was their revenge signing! :sarcasm:

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
I think it is completely AWESOME that the Ross Johnson contract extension thread is going to wind up to be as many pages as the Ryan Pulock contract extension thread.

They're both basically the same player and their importance to the Isles organization is the same. Rarely does HFboards get something so totally right.

Reactions: Seph and PWJunior

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

Meh, go read the Matt Martin trade back to the Islanders. They were saying Lou was still employed by the Leafs taking that contract off Toronto's hands. Meanwhile, Matt Martin helped the team sweep the Penguins, and make it to the ECF's the last two years. If you think he had little to no reason of them winning, well, that 4th line has shut down some of the best the last 3 years. Guys like Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, etc.

The reason I bring this up is, sometimes you need character guys like Martin and Komarov, obviously the Leafs didn't learn that lesson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad