Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Ross Johnston signs extension with the Islanders (4 years, $1.1M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Darn, thought this thread was about John Rosston.

Good for Ron Tossjon, though.
It should be. Instead, it’s about the Islanders signing someone to about minimum and some Devils fan considering it to be horrible. I don’t get it. You won’t get it. But it’s somehow terrible.

Aug 3, 2010
It should be. Instead, it’s about the Islanders signing someone to about minimum and some Devils fan considering it to be horrible. I don’t get it. You won’t get it. But it’s somehow terrible.
I don't even know who Toss Rohnsjon is. But good for them!

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
I don't even know who Toss Rohnsjon is. But good for them!
Ross Johnston is that big heavy guy that looks like Mufasa from the lion king and skates like what an NFL linebacker would probably skate like if football players tried to play ice hockey.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
as I said, its not the money...its the term

and when you add up Komarov and Johnston and 6 years for Cizikas and 4 years for Martin etc etc

if ya'll Isles fans are happy with it, so be it I guess. But I can tell you from experience that this Lou ride is a dangerous one.

Yup. That worst case scenario of Ross playing in Bridgeport at a cap hit of $0 to the big team will be a real back breaker.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
what about "its not the money" do you not understand? Its tying up 4th liners/13th forwards to longterm contract slots.

How often in the past, say decade, have teams run into a real problem with running out of their 50 contract slots?

Isles have two empty contract slots WITH Ross at the moment with more than a few expiring contracts at the end of the season, like Leo K and Hickey.

Much like "cap hell", "contract slot hell" (TM) can be worked out of.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Why? He’s not even an every day NHLer. He’s played a total of 62 games in the last 4 seasons, and hasn’t had more than 4 points in a season during that time.
Are you kidding me about teams using cap space?!?! This is a low contract. You spent more on one season of Lucic (or Neal). You have no standing to deride the islanders for signing a minimum contract.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
This deal allows him to safely pass through waivers for the next four years and at no extra cap. That is very valuable to the Islanders in their current division. He will probably get waived very shortly, sent down to Bridgeport to get some real playing time and then brought up for games against Washington, NY Rangers and other teams who's got a tough guy, or teams that may take cheap shots at Barzal. He will also fill in on the 4th line every once in a while

It's a generous deal obviously, but one that makes perfect sense in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: xECK29x

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I actually like the idea of signing 4th liners to low $ deals for 3-4 years. Usually teams have players with minimum salary and 1 year deals playing there. If for some reason some 4th liner develops into an ok 3rd liner, they are gonna ask maybe $1,5-$2M per year deals. This way teams might save some cap and they don't have to keep looking for new players that fit the team style every year.

And if the player never comes anything else than average 4th liner, there's no risk involved because the cap hit is low.

Reactions: Disgraced Cosmonaut

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
I actually like the idea of signing 4th liners to low $ deals for 3-4 years. Usually teams have players with minimum salary and 1 year deals playing there. If for some reason some 4th liner develops into an ok 3rd liner, they are gonna ask maybe $1,5-$2M per year deals. This way teams might save some cap and they don't have to keep looking for new players that fit the team style every year.

And if the player never comes anything else than average 4th liner, there's no risk involved because the cap hit is low.

THANK you.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY

Not to mention how frequently bottom 6s are rotated throughout the league, disrupts chemistry and you have to reset each year. Isles are so down to business because of that consistency with the roster.

Reactions: Kahvi

Kahvi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Not to mention how frequently bottom 6s are rotated throughout the league, disrupts chemistry and you have to reset each year. Isles are so down to business because of that consistency with the roster.

Looking back, Flames should have tried to sign Hathaway to 3-4 year deal instead of his last one year, minimum salary deal with the Flames.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad