Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Ross Johnston signs extension with the Islanders (4 years, $1.1M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Horrible. Wasting money on players that hardly play/contribute is why we lose players like Toews/Leddy and replace them with Chara.

The only thing at risk here is ownership potentially wasting $1m cash. This will not affect the salary cap at all. He gets a guaranteed $4.4m - the Islanders don't have to worry about losing him after the season. If it doesn't work for them, they can send him down to the AHL and bury the contract. And its a lot less likely for a team to claim him on waivers with the next 4 years guaranteed.

Literally a no risk move for the Islanders. If they try to slip him through and he gets claimed, they're no longer on the hook for the $$$$. As long as ownership is cool with spending the extra real life cash (and that's not my issue), go for it. I'd rather have Ross here than somewhere else.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

crasherino

May 9, 2013
This is the second time he got four years right?
Last time it was assumed that he was signed with an eye towards replacing Martin on the 4th line. Martin has had an unexpected resurgence and got his overly long, low AAV contract. As with Ross, his deal is almost fully bury-able as well, so its really only cash that's a consideration.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

crasherino

May 9, 2013
It's peanuts in terms of NHL, but a million a year puts you in a very high income bracket in overall society.

How many people you know who make seven figures a year?
And he'll have made close to $10m by the time he's 30, with the potential for more. Not bad for an undrafted farm boy from PEI who most everyone thought couldn't skate backwards.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
The only thing at risk here is ownership potentially wasting $1m cash. This will not affect the salary cap at all. He gets a guaranteed $4.4m - the Islanders don't have to worry about losing him after the season. If it doesn't work for them, they can send him down to the AHL and bury the contract. And its a lot less likely for a team to claim him on waivers with the next 4 years guaranteed.

Literally a no risk move for the Islanders. If they try to slip him through and he gets claimed, they're no longer on the hook for the $$$$. As long as ownership is cool with spending the extra real life cash (and that's not my issue), go for it. I'd rather have Ross here than somewhere else.

That's pretty much it. The Isles are basically waiver-proofing their own "taxi squad" of guys that they like. The term lets them move Ross to the AHL if needed, without risking him being claimed. He's only 27, and its only a few hundred thousand more than league minimum for the 13/14 F spot.

Reactions: vandymeer13

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Seems like lots of fans in this thread are in the Isles owners will…. that’s the only real explanation for any critique.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Why, though? The contract isn’t that much more than the league minimum and can be buried in the AHL. Whenever he isn’t on the roster, someone else making about the same salary will be. You don’t want a dozen Ross Johnston’s on longterm deal but the downside risks are close to negligible.

are you asking why signing bottom 6 players to longterm deals is bad?

I really need to explain that?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I mean, you’re being pretty purposefully obtuse in order to get your “Lol Lou” comment in

when someone makes a move that is worthy of laughing, I will laugh.

Lou decided to sign bums like Leo Komarov and 4th liners longterm instead of keeping a legit top pairing DMan. So yes, he deserves to be laughed at for moves such as that.

Reactions: TML1990

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Gives them a serviceable player for a while that seems to be a late bloomer and might get a bit better. But even if not, you can literally bury that cap hit so there's literally 0 salary cap concerns. And the player has long term stability for work and income, and will likely be very loyal to the organization.

Don't really see anything to hate

MatthewBarnabysTears

Mar 18, 2013
when someone makes a move that is worthy of laughing, I will laugh.

Lou decided to sign bums like Leo Komarov and 4th liners longterm instead of keeping a legit top pairing DMan. So yes, he deserves to be laughed at for moves such as that.
There’s a difference in kind between a—laughably stupid—deal like Komarov’s and one, like Johnston’s, which is worth close to the salary minimum.

Reactions: Beacon Isles

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
There’s a difference in kind between a—laughably stupid—deal like Komarov’s and one, like Johnston’s, which is worth close to the salary minimum.

as I said, its not the money...its the term

and when you add up Komarov and Johnston and 6 years for Cizikas and 4 years for Martin etc etc

if ya'll Isles fans are happy with it, so be it I guess. But I can tell you from experience that this Lou ride is a dangerous one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad