Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Ross Johnston signs extension with the Islanders (4 years, $1.1M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DieSendungmitderMaus

Apr 14, 2018
Kind of puzzling term but who cares, I doubt ownership is signing off on a four year deal for a bottom of the roster type without being willing to bury it in the minors if necessary. That aspect is a bit surprising to me, I know these aren't Charles Wang's Isles but still weird to see them not penny pinch.

Given that all but 200k of it is buryable the only reason this might be a problem is it occupies a contract slot, which is something that ~never comes up. So yeah, I'm gonna go out on a limb and suggest this will have a negligible effect on the team's fortunes.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
This four year 1.1m deal will be as impactful on the Isles cap and roster as the previous four year 1m deal he’s finishing up… Which is to say not at all.

Anyone making an issue of this, is likely doing so for their own agenda.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Weird that an absolute plug gets term like this

It actually makes a ton of sense, contract is like 99% bury-able this year but will dissuade teams from claiming him if they don't have a ton of money as he makes 1.1 for 4 years. That is nothing to the Isles.

Disgraced Cosmonaut

Oct 26, 2002
Visit site
Some on this board don’t accept that he is occupying one single roster slot at less than 500 K over league minimum? Even if you don’t think that a team should employ an enforcer - which is not unheard of - is it a stretch to consider that someone else may? The man plays a role Lou and Barry value for that exact amount (under 500k over league min) and should do so while improving over 4 years.

even if they bet wrong, and he doesn’t improve, he will still be one of the top 10 enforcers in hockey. Not to mention, the room loves the Boss and sometimes room chemistry is, idk, important.

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
Great contract. Probably will play a couple of games a year to spell injuries to 3rd or 4th liners, will go up and down through waivers easy peazy and the term should keep him on the Isle without the threat of being taken.

He'll be a good soldier in the AHL , mentor and protect any legitimate prospects.

I guess if someone really wanted to see a negative they could point to 1/50th of our contracts being eaten up...

Outside of that, anything negative is just from someone that doesn't seem to understand that his salary won't count against the cap unless he's playing in the NHL...and if he is, it's barely above minimum

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
when someone makes a move that is worthy of laughing, I will laugh.

Lou decided to sign bums like Leo Komarov and 4th liners longterm instead of keeping a legit top pairing DMan. So yes, he deserves to be laughed at for moves such as that.
Neither Leddy nor Toews are top pairing guys.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Odd contract by NYI. All the leverage to give the player fewer years even at that cap hit. Irrelevant as it can easily be sent to the AHL, but odd nonetheless.

Calling this a "great" contract of course is an extensive stretch but it has zero negatives to it.

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
Odd contract by NYI. All the leverage to give the player fewer years even at that cap hit. Irrelevant as it can easily be sent to the AHL, but odd nonetheless.

Calling this a "great" contract of course is an extensive stretch but it has zero negatives to it.
I don’t think that anyone is calling it a “great contract”. It a signing of a low-end player who the team likes having. The only one who cares is that zajac bowl guy.

Aug 3, 2010
Darn, thought this thread was about John Rosston.

Good for Ron Tossjon, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad