Confirmed Signing with Link: [NYI] Ross Johnston signs extension with the Islanders (4 years, $1.1M AAV)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
when someone makes a move that is worthy of laughing, I will laugh.

Lou decided to sign bums like Leo Komarov and 4th liners longterm instead of keeping a legit top pairing DMan. So yes, he deserves to be laughed at for moves such as that.

I guess you were out to lunch when he locked up the top pair for just about 13 mil? Try again.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
as I said, its not the money...its the term

and when you add up Komarov and Johnston and 6 years for Cizikas and 4 years for Martin etc etc

if ya'll Isles fans are happy with it, so be it I guess. But I can tell you from experience that this Lou ride is a dangerous one.

Yeah, 3 Stanley Cups in 8 years, what a freaking loser!!!!!

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Wow I am actually shocked to find an isles fan who isn’t afraid to speak the truth. Lou overpaying bottom 6 players is a major reason why the Isles lost Toews and still haven’t landed a legit winger for Barzal.

Thanks for making a non-homer post, it was quite refreshing seeing that there are isles fans that know their GM isn’t responsible for the recent success they’ve had. He’s hiding behind the success of the best coach in the league, I’d give Trotz the jack adams every year for what he’s done with that roster.

What are you even talking about? I mean, have a clue. He plays with Lee and we signed Palmieri and have Wahlstrom if he makes it there. We roll out 4 lines. It's not about making sure Barzal scores 120 points, it's about winning. I mean look at the Leafs and top line scoring all them goals, but yet can't get out of the 1st round. I'm not sure, but I think you're quite familiar with this.

Reactions: PWJunior and mm11

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Yeah, 3 Stanley Cups in 8 years, what a freaking loser!!!!!

I mean lol we're getting close to ~25 years ago with those here.

Believe me, I appreciate what Lou did for the Devils franchise and I appreciate the Cups. However, that doesn't change the fact that Lou has seemingly failed to adapt over the past 15-20 years.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island

Believe me, I appreciate what Lou did for the Devils franchise and I appreciate the Cups. However, that doesn't change the fact that Lou has seemingly failed to adapt over the past 15-20 years.

So top pairing D for under 13 mil and bringing a winning culture to the team and guys staying around when they can get more out on the open market is a bad thing? Lou left 6 years ago, it's time to move on.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
as I said, its not the money...its the term

and when you add up Komarov and Johnston and 6 years for Cizikas and 4 years for Martin etc etc

if ya'll Isles fans are happy with it, so be it I guess. But I can tell you from experience that this Lou ride is a dangerous one.
If you want to criticize the Komarov or Cizikas deals, go ahead. Re Komarov, I didn't like the term there - especially when Lou was bidding against himself. On Cizikas, I like it well enough as he had to extend the deal to compete with other teams who would clearly have given Casey more dollars up front - something the Islanders couldn't do.

But for Martin and Johnston, there's literally no downside. I recognize that you are taking issue with the term - not the money - but the two go hand in hand. If, in year 3 of these deals, either player shows that he can't skate anymore, the Islanders simply waive them and bury them in Bridgeport and there is no salary cap hit at all (maybe $100k - but by then, probably not). So while its non-conventional to give these type of deals to 4th liners, the Islanders a) place a disproportionate emphasis on their 4th line than other teams (its worked pretty well recently though) b) have a lot of guys who would like to stick around if it could be made convenient; and c) have ownership who apparently have no problem dishing out retirement presents that will hit after a player's usefulness ends.

The Islanders obviously like Ross Johnston and want him to stick around. They felt that way when they gave him the first deal and didn't think Martin would be here at this point. They still feel that way, apparently. Given the chance to lock him up for 4 more years with no cap implications, why not? I don't think anyone is saying what a great move this is by Lou - Johnston is an intimidator first and foremost. Locking a guy like that up is hardly on the top of his resume for GM of the year. Rather, I think most people are pointing out that this move has no real downside.

Again - if you want to criticize Uncle Leo's deal, have at it. I'm right there with you. Cizikas's deal could have cap implications as well (likely will). This on - and Martin's - simply do not.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
That doesn't change the fact that he dumped Devon Toews for basically nothing.

Two second round picks is equivalent to a first in most markets, especially a pandemic depressed one. While I rated him as the Isles third best defensemen at the time of the trade, he wasn't overwhelming more valued than Mayfield and Leddy. Either way, he would've forced more expansion draft maneuvering this offseason for the Isles to keep this roster.

Also the notion that Isles traded Devon Toews due Komarov is misguided and ignores the timeline of the COVID cap crunch impact. At the trade deadline the NHL always provides guidance to all teams what the expected cap hit will be for the following year.

This allows teams to plan their rosters for the playoffs and future. The NHL has NEVER back tracked from that announcement as it did due to the pandemic (shortly after the deadline). The Isles lost approximately 3M from their cap and the entire NHL lost 90M.

Are you seriously going to ignore that this sudden unprecedented reversal did not impact the roster decisions that needed to be made? Moreover, that Lamoriello should have accounted for this?

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
If you want to criticize the Komarov or Cizikas deals, go ahead. Re Komarov, I didn't like the term there - especially when Lou was bidding against himself. On Cizikas, I like it well enough as he had to extend the deal to compete with other teams who would clearly have given Casey more dollars up front - something the Islanders couldn't do.

But for Martin and Johnston, there's literally no downside. I recognize that you are taking issue with the term - not the money - but the two go hand in hand. If, in year 3 of these deals, either player shows that he can't skate anymore, the Islanders simply waive them and bury them in Bridgeport and there is no salary cap hit at all (maybe $100k - but by then, probably not). So while its non-conventional to give these type of deals to 4th liners, the Islanders a) place a disproportionate emphasis on their 4th line than other teams (its worked pretty well recently though) b) have a lot of guys who would like to stick around if it could be made convenient; and c) have ownership who apparently have no problem dishing out retirement presents that will hit after a player's usefulness ends.

The Islanders obviously like Ross Johnston and want him to stick around. They felt that way when they gave him the first deal and didn't think Martin would be here at this point. They still feel that way, apparently. Given the chance to lock him up for 4 more years with no cap implications, why not? I don't think anyone is saying what a great move this is by Lou - Johnston is an intimidator first and foremost. Locking a guy like that up is hardly on the top of his resume for GM of the year. Rather, I think most people are pointing out that this move has no real downside.

Again - if you want to criticize Uncle Leo's deal, have at it. I'm right there with you. Cizikas's deal could have cap implications as well (likely will). This on - and Martin's - simply do not.

Say what you want about the 4th line. When together, we haven't missed the playoffs in for 4 or 5 years. The 2 years Martin was gone and the end all be all Jason Chimera played on that 4th line, we missed the playoffs. We bring back Martin and everyone laughed their ass off we swept Pittsburgh and have made it to the ECF the last 2 years. Is this directly due to Martin? Absolutely not, Did it hurt? Absolutely not!

I find it hard to believe that Leo's 2.5 would have changed much of anything. You can't say we could have used that money to sign Toews because we still would have to sign another player, so it cost us 1.5 mil. I doubt Toews stays for that little raise.

Reactions: mm11

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I guess you were out to lunch when he locked up the top pair for just about 13 mil? Try again.

Making good moves doesn’t excuse your poor moves. Although, ultimately the good out weighs the bad.

I wouldn’t have given RJ this contract, but there’s little if any downside so ultimately who really cares...?

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
when someone makes a move that is worthy of laughing, I will laugh.

Lou decided to sign bums like Leo Komarov and 4th liners longterm instead of keeping a legit top pairing DMan. So yes, he deserves to be laughed at for moves such as that.

So you throw out everything else good he did for this bad deal eh???

BTW, you think that 2.5 mil would keep Toews around? Actually, wait a second. We would have to sign a player so Toews wouldn't have stayed for a 1.5 mil raise. Knowing is half the battle.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Making good moves doesn’t excuse your poor moves. Although, ultimately the good out weighs the bad.

I wouldn’t have given RJ this contract, but there’s little if any downside so ultimately who really cares...?

Apparently Leafs and Devils fans are very intrigued by it.

Also, so Pelech, Pulock, and Barzal don't count but Leo does? Can't have it both ways.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
What really grind my gears is that Marleau contract. The Leaf fans forget that he was a placeholder for the kids until they got paid. It was signing Tavares that wrenched everything.

AllAlphas

Apr 29, 2013
Great to see the Isles solving their Tom Wilson problem long term!
And managing to double up the contract term that the Rangers signed their Tom Wilson problem solver to is just icing on the cake.
Love seeing fourth line anachronisms who can barely skate and rarely score taking up roster space on other Metro teams...

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Just skimming through and my god, Devils fans are SO salty.

Go worry about your own team, plenty enough to keep y’all busy.

I'm not salty at all...just commenting based on my team's history with Lou and knowing how he operates, is all. Its funny that pretty much all fans of the other teams outside of NYI have said its a weird/bad contract, but its whatever. As I said, if you guys are happy...have at it.

Also, this is not the Islanders forum, its the trade/FA forum. Other fans are allowed to comment.

FYI- the reason we've had so many issues over the past 3-4 years is BECAUSE of the state of the team that Lou left us...you do know that right?

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
I wouldn't really call it a smart move, as 4 year deals for players like Johnston just don't need to happen but I guess it doesn't really impact the cap either way. Good for Ross!

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Can this deal be fully buried in the AHL in case Johnson falls off?

If so then who cares about the term

If not it's probably 200-300k of dead cap should Johnson not be NHL quality in a few years so still not the worst.

Nothing to lose with this deal for the isles. Johnson is younger than Martin as well, so he can substitute for him when Martin's hurt/playing bad

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I'm not salty at all...just commenting based on my team's history with Lou and knowing how he operates, is all. Its funny that pretty much all fans of the other teams outside of NYI have said its a weird/bad contract, but its whatever. As I said, if you guys are happy...have at it.

Also, this is not the Islanders forum, its the trade/FA forum. Other fans are allowed to comment.

FYI- the reason we've had so many issues over the past 3-4 years is BECAUSE of the state of the team that Lou left us...you do know that right?

I didn't mean anyone individually.

The contract is 350K over the league MINIMUM. I don't think this does anything other than make him Waivers proof.

The fact that Ross the Boss even gets more than 1 page is hilarious to me.

Reactions: Leafshater67

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

Lou inherited a dumpster fire from Garth Snow and turned it around immediately. Maybe you should be blaming the Devils' current management, not the previous. Lou left 6 years ago.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Lou inherited a dumpster fire from Garth Snow and turned it around immediately. Maybe you should be blaming the Devils' current management, not the previous. Lou left 6 years ago.

Lou turned it around by hiring Trotz which was admittedly a great move. Most of the actual pieces were already in place when he got to the Isles...which is exactly the same thing that happened in Toronto.

Lou left the Devils cupboard completely barren when he left, hence the Devils struggles over the past few years.

inthewings

Jul 26, 2005

He inherited a team that everyone expected to be terrible after losing JT, and has brought them to the playoffs all three seasons, including two conference finals appearances. He’s been fantastic for their org.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad