Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don't think we will be departing the 1-3-1 any time soon, that spot is either Panarin's or Zibanejad's.

Question is if Lundkvist makes the NYR team out of camp and isn't traded, do they give him a shot on the second PP unit. They seem hell bent to make sure Trouba is always on it so it's no certainty.

Who are the other choices? Most, if not all, 2nd PP units feature 2 dmen, so it's unlikely that they would replace him with a forward. So the choices are Lindgren, Smith and Hajek, none of which should be on a PP.

Reactions: chosen

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I don't think we will be departing the 1-3-1 any time soon, that spot is either Panarin's or Zibanejad's.

Question is if Lundkvist makes the NYR team out of camp and isn't traded, do they give him a shot on the second PP unit. They seem hell bent to make sure Trouba is always on it so it's no certainty.
It's basically just a waste to even put him there considering the 1st unit normally stays out for 75% of the time barely giving the 2nd unit any time to even set up a PP.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Who are the other choices? Most, if not all, 2nd PP units feature 2 dmen, so it's unlikely that they would replace him with a forward. So the choices are Lindgren, Smith and Hajek, none of which should be on a PP.

Miller.

So Lundkvist has to replace one of Trouba or Miller. I think it should be K'Andre based on what we have seen (He's been terrible on the PP) but who knows with Quinn.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's basically just a waste to even put him there considering the 1st unit normally stays out for 75% of the time barely giving the 2nd unit any time to even set up a PP.

Sure, but I think that's a bigger problem for Lafreniere and Kakko than it is Lundkvist. I think NYR will probably want him to focus on adjusting to the North American style of play defensively first and foremost before giving him additional responsibilities.

If it ends up being a combo like Jones-Lundkvist or Robertson-Lundkvist or Tarmo-Lundkvist out of camp that pairing is going to start off with sheltered minutes anyway, until they prove they can handle more. Similar to when Gilroy and Del Zotto played together.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Miller.

So Lundkvist has to replace one of Trouba or Miller. I think it should be K'Andre based on what we have seen (He's been terrible on the PP) but who knows with Quinn.

I'm confused. You say they seem "hell bent to make sure Trouba is always on it" when there are literally no better options to replace him, currently. Then you go on to say that you would replace Miller with Lundkvist next year, thus keeping Trouba on the 2nd unit.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I'm confused. You say they seem "hell bent to make sure Trouba is always on it" when there are literally no better options to replace him, currently. Then you go on to say that you would replace Miller with Lundkvist next year, thus keeping Trouba on the 2nd unit.

Well so in my original post I was suggesting Trouba was a 'lock' for one of the two spots. That reduces Lundkvist's chance of being the second selection by a bit, as it becomes Miller and Nils fighting over one spot, instead of Miller Nils and Trouba fighting over two.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Well so in my original post I was suggesting Trouba was a 'lock' for one of the two spots. That reduces Lundkvist's chance of being the second selection by a bit, as it becomes Miller and Nils fighting over one spot, instead of Miller Nils and Trouba fighting over two.

Being a "lock" for a spot based on the available options is different than saying that the team is "hell bent" on giving him one of those spots. The latter suggests that they are going to play him on the PP regardless of the other options, but there's no evidence to support that.

It's all moot until Lundkvist comes over and we see who the best 2 options are. I'm sure he will find his way onto the PP in some capacity, at some point. Being a righty, with his shot, he would look really good on the left point/side wall getting fed by Trouba.

Reactions: chosen and egelband

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
After everyone expecting one of Kakko, Laf and Shesty to win a Calder, does Nils surprise out of all our 1sts and take it home next year?

Reactions: John Snow

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Sure, but I think that's a bigger problem for Lafreniere and Kakko than it is Lundkvist. I think NYR will probably want him to focus on adjusting to the North American style of play defensively first and foremost before giving him additional responsibilities.

If it ends up being a combo like Jones-Lundkvist or Robertson-Lundkvist or Tarmo-Lundkvist out of camp that pairing is going to start off with sheltered minutes anyway, until they prove they can handle more. Similar to when Gilroy and Del Zotto played together.
To be fair Gilroy and Del Zotto were both offensive defensemen that were not exactly great in their own end. Any of those pairs are likely already better defensively than they were.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
After everyone expecting one of Kakko, Laf and Shesty to win a Calder, does Nils surprise out of all our 1sts and take it home next year?

I have given up hope on a Rangers prospect winning the Calder ever. Something happens every year that ruins our chances despite having the prospects with the best odds.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
He probably has the talent to be in that conversation, but since he will get sheltered minutes on the 3rd pair, he likely won't. Him coming onto the team is a much different situation than Fox and Miller where there were huge holes to fill in the top 4.

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
He’s younger than Erik was at the same age? :laugh:

My sorry thought Erik was one year older the season he did 45 points with Senators so i guess Erik was one year in front of Nils in developpment.but my feeling is that Nils is far way better comparing the two in SHL in young age.Remember Erik in frolunda the last year was not close to Nils today.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I have given up hope on a Rangers prospect winning the Calder ever. Something happens every year that ruins our chances despite having the prospects with the best odds.

I would settle for a Mike York rookie year or even a Jan Hlavac. The best rookies we get are our D prospects because we don't force feed them as quickly into the lineup.

Will Kravtsov still be considered a rookie next season?

Reactions: Ola

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I would settle for a Mike York rookie year or even a Jan Hlavac. The best rookies we get are our D prospects because we don't force feed them as quickly into the lineup.

Will Kravtsov still be considered a rookie next season?

I am not 100% sure if they pro-rated the Calder eligibility rules. If so, he loses eligibility at 17 or 18 games. If not, he has to play 26 games to lose eligibility (which wouldn't be possible)

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
They should both be replaced.

But again with Quinn, If Nils does play here next year he's going to have to wait his turn if he gets one at all.
I think Dq is a bit fairer with the Dmen compared to the forwards when it comes to opportunities. Id be a little surprised if Nils isn’t on the pp2 next year

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Trouba and Lundkvist on PP 2 is not a great idea in my opinion. They share the same role on the PP- The right handed bomb. Miller just plain stinks on the PP. Not sure why, but he has literally fumbled the puck every time he has it on the PP.

Interesting how no one has considered Lafreniere on the right point for the PP. Didn't he play there in juniors?

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
PP2 should be 4 forwards and Trouba.

Buch, Laf, Kakko, Kravtsov and Trouba

Laf can take draws.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Is there any chance at all Rangers manage to sign him to an elc and get him out of Worlds if his team loses game 7? I know not likely but ...:help:

They should not be burning a year for him. They do need to sign him as soon we can where we don’t waste a year.

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
They should not be burning a year for him. They do need to sign him as soon we can where we don’t waste a year.
It may or may not be better cap wise. More important to get top prospects signed and begin to integrate sooner than later. IF the Rangers believe he can make a difference now then they should try. If they aren’t sure then by all I means no big rush as long as they are sure they can sign him for next season and not risk losing him altogether.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It may or may not be better cap wise. More important to get top prospects signed and begin to integrate sooner than later. IF the Rangers believe he can make a difference now then they should try. If they aren’t sure then by all I means no big rush as long as they are sure they can sign him for next season and not risk losing him altogether.

They won't be able to unless he is released early by the Swedish federation.

He will play for the NT in May and June.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018

The biggest obstacle is we aren't a bottom feeder team who needs to throw a 19 year old out there for 23 mins a game. There just isn't the space for a rookie on this roster to rack up the points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad