Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Ny is about Championships. I don’t believe too many care about individual awards.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Ny is about Championships. I don’t believe too many care about individual awards.

YBd.gif

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Jee, I wonder if that has anything to do with Wings prospect Moritz Seider putting up production similar to Lundkvist in their respective D+2 seasons and they try to win an argument for their guy... Honestly, I'd pick Seider over Lundkvist but we didn't use a 6th overall pick on our guy so I have no reason to compare them.

Lundkvist was never an offensive D-man. He was a defense-first guy when drafted, the offense came afterwards. Lundkvist played well most of the season but struggled a bit early on.

Let's put it this way: He was called up for the men's national team as a 20-year old defenseman, and played 25+ minutes in multiple games as an alternate captain. He has had a great season and is the youngest player to win the Börje Salming trophy in a decade. That price usually goes to 27-30 year olds. The accolades are piling up for a kid who dominates games at age 20. He's a complete player. Even pretty physical. Not a fighter by any means, but he doesn't shy away from puck battles.

Lundkvist came into the SHL as a 17 year old pretty much like Ryan McDonagh came onto the Rangers midway through his rookie pro season pretty much as a calm, steady defensive presence who didn’t panic under pressure. That’s what the Rangers would have seen when they drafted Nils. They might have guessed that his game would evolve and his offensive game would blossom but absolutely he knows how to defend. He’s not a one trick pony.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Lundkvist came into the SHL as a 17 year old pretty much like Ryan McDonagh came onto the Rangers midway through his rookie pro season pretty much as a calm, steady defensive presence who didn’t panic under pressure. That’s what the Rangers would have seen when they drafted Nils. They might have guessed that his game would evolve and his offensive game would blossom but absolutely he knows how to defend. He’s not a one trick pony.

Yep. Defense-first. The offense came later and was basically just a bonus

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
After everyone expecting one of Kakko, Laf and Shesty to win a Calder, does Nils surprise out of all our 1sts and take it home next year?

Ds have done a lot better for us lately, but this is 100% dependent on whether he gets steady top PP minutes. If Fox still gets those Nils won’t stand a chance no matter what.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Fox is a good comparison for Nils Lundkvist skill wise.

But it’s important to note that Fox is tremendously well trained. I.e. he doesn’t have the raw skills to dominate, top speed, shot, even dazzling hands. But he is tremendously poised and has all the hockey sense — and he has really really managed to “fine tune” his abilities to allow him to execute the plays he sees out there. He builds/maintains speed when turning exceptionally well. Even if he isn’t an athletic freak he has the strength in the right areas. Back hand is really good.

Like he doesn’t only have the ability to see the solutions — it’s also remarkable how well he has fine tuned his abilities to allow him to execute well at the highest level.

Nils is definitely behind in these areas (duh Fox is Norris Caliber), but with that said having Nils — watch — Fox could be the best school for him.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

But it’s important to note that Fox is tremendously well trained. I.e. he doesn’t have the raw skills to dominate, top speed, shot, even dazzling hands. But he is tremendously poised and has all the hockey sense —

Agree - awareness and anticipation supercedes those with better skill yet lacking awareness and anticipation. See Sean Day :rolleyes:

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

But it’s important to note that Fox is tremendously well trained. I.e. he doesn’t have the raw skills to dominate, top speed, shot, even dazzling hands. But he is tremendously poised and has all the hockey sense — and he has really really managed to “fine tune” his abilities to allow him to execute the plays he sees out there. He builds/maintains speed when turning exceptionally well. Even if he isn’t an athletic freak he has the strength in the right areas. Back hand is really good.

Like he doesn’t only have the ability to see the solutions — it’s also remarkable how well he has fine tuned his abilities to allow him to execute well at the highest level.

Nils is definitely behind in these areas (duh Fox is Norris Caliber), but with that said having Nils — watch — Fox could be the best school for him.
Fox actually has pretty good top speed this year, NHL tracking has shown that. But he's always in full control, with his body and head upright or looking back with his stick in the right spot to give or receive a pass. So while it doesn't look like he's flying, he is deceptively fast, definitely above average for a dman. CK when going top speed has his head down and forward, is bent over at the waist trying to leverage every inch of thrust from his skates and he just looks fast lol. Like you said, Fox's agility is off the charts and he rarely is ever at a stand still. He's so shifty and smart that even when he is standing still he can buy himself time with head fakes and his agility. His hands have also impressed me this year, nothing awe inspiring but they're very good for a dman. His IQ ties it all together- it's like all his positive attributes work together synergistically and he's significantly greater than the sum of his parts. Like Stepan a bit in the sense that the player is better than the skills suggest (Fox's poise and IQ are on another level though).

Unfortunately I don't see where Nils will get 1st unit PP time next year as Fox is a league leader in PP points and we're not moving away from 4 forwards anytime soon. I do foresee Nils getting an early chance on PP2, and as PP2 gains the trust of the coach they'll get marginally more time, enough for Nils to make an impact on it. Eventually I hope we have a PP1A and PP1B with close to even playing time as the kids grow and progress.

Reactions: egelband and Ola

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
This city hasn't won a championship in 8 years. What are you on?

so call it a loser city if makes you feel better. Cheer for personal awards while the majority don’t give a hoot. They want championships.

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Lundkvist interview from earlier today. Had some help translating so apologies to the Swedes here if it's not 100% accurate but he says "among other things" that he feels he made the right decision staying another year and that he has done everything he could to prepare for the next step (Rangers)

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
GET THE MONEY BAGS OUT... FLY OUT PALLETS OF CASH

Lundkvist needs to be here, I'm sure we can work out an agreement

@Amazing Kreiderman what would it take for him to be released early?

Last edited:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
GET THE MONEY BAGS OUT... FLY OUT PALLETS OF CASH

Lundkvist needs to be here, I'm sure we can work out an agreement

@Amazing Kreiderman what would it take for him to be released early?

Lundkvist can request a release. But I don't see it happening. Playing for your country in the Worlds is a huge honour. And definitely outweighs a game or two in the NHL. He will sign in June/July

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Lundkvist can request a release. But I don't see it happening. Playing for your country in the Worlds is a huge honour. And definitely outweighs a game or two in the NHL. He will sign in June/July
These agreements are just dumb. Why couldn't he play for the last few weeks of the season with the RANGERS (edited) and then play in the Worlds? Especially since (sorry) the Rangers look like they are not making the playoffs. Tons of NHL'ers head over to play once the regular season is finished.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

RickChartraw

Oct 12, 2018
These agreements are just dumb. Why couldn't he play for the last few weeks of the season with the Rags and then play in the Worlds? Especially since (sorry) the Rangers look like they are not making the playoffs. Tons of NHL'ers head over to play once the regular season is finished.

On our own part of the forums. calling us the Rags. Show some decency man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad