Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I didn't miss it, but the point is why is the other award necessary?

Rewarding homegrown players in a league that has seen a huge influx of foreign players due to the free movement of people? Other leagues across sports do it too.

Out of all the things people could be outraged about, a trophy in a Swedish hockey league wasn't on my list today but here we are :laugh:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Rewarding homegrown players in a league that has seen a huge influx of foreign players due to the free movement of people? Other leagues across sports do it too.

Out of all the things people could be outraged about, a trophy in a Swedish hockey league wasn't on my list today but here we are :laugh:

Outrage is WAY overstating it.

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
I didn't miss it, but the point is why is the other award necessary?

The SHL through its members is largely responsible for developing Swedish hockey players, with grass root organisations that start in childhood. In theory you can play for Djurgården from age 7 and continue as a pro for as long as you want. The trophy is a way for the league to award its best product.

The NHL is just a business that has no direct involvement in American/Canadian hockey development. It's placed in North America but really it just grabs players from wherever once other clubs have done the work. It would be kind of weird for the NHL to award the best Canadian player as if they produced him. At least in my opinion.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
Relax. This isn't the presidential election :laugh:

They have a separate award for Swedish-born players. Big deal. It's not as if they replaced the actual Defenseman of the year-award. This one is just a separate award.

Lol I’m pretty relaxed.
Seems like you are replying to every poster on this forum. Relax dude... it’s someone else’s opinion.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
3Kknrlb.png

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The SHL through its members is largely responsible for developing Swedish hockey players, with grass root organisations that start in childhood. In theory you can play for Djurgården from age 7 and continue as a pro for as long as you want. The trophy is a way for the league to award its best product.

The NHL is just a business that has no direct involvement in American/Canadian hockey development. It's placed in North America but really it just grabs players from wherever once other clubs have done the work. It would be kind of weird for the NHL to award the best Canadian player as if they produced him. At least in my opinion.
Exactly this. In a rough world where the best talents are consistently getting poached from either the NHL or the KHL, all manners to promote the development and encouragement of hockey within the country must be used. There's nothing wrong in promoting the best homegrown talent, from taking the first step on the Swedish ice to becoming a really good player in the Swedish top league.

Like the McDonald Extra Effort Award that is exclusive for players on the Rangers; is that wrong? Why can't a player from the Islanders win the award when it's the same city? Not the same thing, but in a way it is.
In the US? Yes
If you think being proud and patriotic of your country is being promoted as a bad thing in the US, you should visit Sweden, lol. It's way worse here. Here you could basically lose your job if you said you're a patriot. I will acknowledge it's getting pretty ridiculous in the States as well though.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Playing a shutdown role with a lot more defensive-zone face-offs, paired with Luleå not being as dominant as they were in 2019-20

Did he play it well? There's a Wings Lundkvist hater in the prospect board that keeps saying he's strictly an offensive guy. Everything I've heard is that he's better defensively than offensively. Maybe it's just from you, haha.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Did he play it well? There's a Wings Lundkvist hater in the prospect board that keeps saying he's strictly an offensive guy. Everything I've heard is that he's better defensively than offensively. Maybe it's just from you, haha.

Jee, I wonder if that has anything to do with Wings prospect Moritz Seider putting up production similar to Lundkvist in their respective D+2 seasons and they try to win an argument for their guy... Honestly, I'd pick Seider over Lundkvist but we didn't use a 6th overall pick on our guy so I have no reason to compare them.

Lundkvist was never an offensive D-man. He was a defense-first guy when drafted, the offense came afterwards. Lundkvist played well most of the season but struggled a bit early on.

Let's put it this way: He was called up for the men's national team as a 20-year old defenseman, and played 25+ minutes in multiple games as an alternate captain. He has had a great season and is the youngest player to win the Börje Salming trophy in a decade. That price usually goes to 27-30 year olds. The accolades are piling up for a kid who dominates games at age 20. He's a complete player. Even pretty physical. Not a fighter by any means, but he doesn't shy away from puck battles.

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Very impressed with his development he plays like Erik Karlsson but he is much younger and better than Erik at the samt age.

He looks NHL ready must be very high chance he goes to Rangers next season?

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Yes. He will sign this summer once he's released by Luleå and Sweden.

Ok this makes me happy i was 90% sure.He looks like an NHL player most of the time among SHL players.

High chance he is a top pairing defenceman many years in New York and start at 3rd pair.And maybe the mature personality that impress the most for his young age.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden

Damn his shot is nasty and also tough for the goalies to read. Will NYR have two legit PP lines next season?

If you want to watch the goals in better quality (as @Jagge11 wrote, he scored the 3-0 and 5-1 goals):

His team leads with 3-2 in the QF playoffs. Game six will be played monday night 6PM, EST+1 (six hours ahead of New York time).
Minus the drama plus better defense would be amazing.
Yeah, no problems there with the personality. He's a typical, down to earth northener. No bullshit, works hard and is easy going.

Last edited:

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
What side does Nils play on the PP? Seems like he's plays both sides. Imagine a PP unit with Fox on the right and Nils on the left so he's able to rip those one timers? The PKers would basically have to leave one of them open at all times...

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
What side does Nils play on the PP? Seems like he's plays both sides. Imagine a PP unit with Fox on the right and Nils on the left so he's able to rip those one timers? The PKers would basically have to leave one of them open at all times...

I don't think we will be departing the 1-3-1 any time soon, that spot is either Panarin's or Zibanejad's.

Question is if Lundkvist makes the NYR team out of camp and isn't traded, do they give him a shot on the second PP unit. They seem hell bent to make sure Trouba is always on it so it's no certainty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad