Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Lundkvist won't be a carbon copy of Fox which is a good thing too as they have slightly different strengths. Lundkvist appears to be a better skater and have a much better shot so should be better suited to number 1 power play duties. Fox is insanely good at making the right play and being in the correct spot and using his small frame to defend. Both look like excellent passers. Not sure how strong on defense Lundkvist is, but all reports seem to suggest he is more than capable. If Nils can develop into a top dman scorer and play above average defense and with Miller, Lindgren, Hajek and others coming the Rangers should have one of the best d corps for the next decade. Not that it is necessary as much these days but fortunately Miller, Trouba and Hajek are all pretty big and by all accounts Fox and Lundkvist can hold their own in the physicality department.
Nils is defense first. The questions have always been about his offense.

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Better than Fox would put him at the level of a top 1-3 D in this league and a perennial Norris favorite.

I'm going to go ahead and give that one a big fat no.
Fox isn't as good as this, yet. Let's not get carried away. Nils is better than Fox at similar stage of their careers.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Nils is defense first. The questions have always been about his offense.

I think people look at his size and numbers and assume the opposite, but this is what I have read too.

More Spurgeon-esque than DeAngelo esque

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Fox isn't as good as this, yet. Let's not get carried away. Nils is better than Fox at similar stage of their careers.

He certainly has been this year and really, since December of 2019.

I don't think that you can really say that Nils was better than Fox in their D+3 seasons either, in fact I disagree with that statement completely (and I wouldn't have 2 years ago.)

Theres a sizable gap between NCAA and the SHL, but Fox pretty much did what ever the f*** he wanted on the ice during his Junior year. He controlled the flow of play more so than almost any defenseman I've seen at that level. I made the mistake of knocking him a bit for playing in the ECAC (though he ripped up the teams he played out of conference as well), lesson learned.

At the end of the day though, Fox's brain is just on another level. I feel like the larger ice surface helps Nils more than some want to admit and the adjustment to the smaller rink is going to be a rude awakening for anyone expecting a seamless transition. That doesn't mean that hes going to suck long term, but it's going to take some time and I don't think he'll ever bridge gap that Fox has on him in terms of processing the game at the NHL level.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Why would it be the summer and not when his season finishes? Makes no sense to me.
If I recall the contract includes a clause that says he will play on the national team for tournaments over the next few months. Something along those lines. AK has a more concrete answer. All I know is that he is still at this point not released from his contract.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula

I don't think that you can really say that Nils was better than Fox in their D+3 seasons either, in fact I disagree with that statement completely (and I wouldn't have 2 years ago.)

Theres a sizable gap between NCAA and the SHL, but Fox pretty much did what ever the f*** he wanted on the ice during his Junior year. He controlled the flow of play more so than almost any defenseman I've seen at that level. I made the mistake of knocking him a bit for playing in the ECAC (though he ripped up the teams he played out of conference as well), lesson learned.

At the end of the day though, Fox's brain is just on another level. I feel like the larger ice surface helps Nils more than some want to admit and the adjustment to the smaller rink is going to be a rude awakening for anyone expecting a seamless transition. That doesn't mean that hes going to suck long term, but it's going to take some time and I don't think he'll ever bridge gap that Fox has on him in terms of processing the game at the NHL level.
Short sample size and an unusual season. I'll wait until Fox plays a couple of regular NHL seasons before we can decide what he will settle into.
We will see but whatever the outcome, it's a good "problem" for the Rangers to have.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

And, regarding the bold, none of us expected his ability to just control play and basically toy with the opposition to somehow translate to the NHL. That never seems to - for obvious reasons. Yet, here we are. He's controlling the play when he's on the ice and he just toys with opponents at times.

He's the best defender we've had since Leetch/Zubov and I am confident that he will surpass Zubov in terms of a career.

And Zubov is one of my favorite players of all time, mind you.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
And, regarding the bold, none of us expected his ability to just control play and basically toy with the opposition to somehow translate to the NHL. That never seems to - for obvious reasons. Yet, here we are. He's controlling the play when he's on the ice and he just toys with opponents at times.

He's the best defender we've had since Leetch/Zubov and I am confident that he will surpass Zubov in terms of a career.

I recently saw that we're getting NHLers back in the Olympics. I'm so excited to see him represent the US.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I was surprised when it carried over to Traverse City, which isn't exactly the highest level of hockey, but it was higher than anything he had experienced.

Fast forward a year and a half later and he's crushing the best level in the world.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It's highly doubtful Lundkvist is going to sniff PP1 minutes any time soon. Fox is not getting bumped from the top spot and Zibanejad and Panarin are the triggermen with the big bombs on the power play, they don't "need" a defenseman with a bomb
If anything is going to change with PP1 it's eventually Strome getting punted and Kakko or Lafreniere going in his spot

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
It's highly doubtful Lundkvist is going to sniff PP1 minutes any time soon. Fox is not getting bumped from the top spot and Zibanejad and Panarin are the triggermen with the big bombs on the power play, they don't "need" a defenseman with a bomb
If anything is going to change with PP1 it's eventually Strome getting punted and Kakko or Lafreniere going in his spot

Personally, I'm getting excited for us to roll out the never-before-seen 3D 2F PP unit 2 of

Howden
Lundvist Blackwell Miller
Trouba

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Twenty f*ckin years
Oct 8, 2010

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad