Prospect Info: Nils Lundkvist: Part III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Top 50 NHL-Affiliated Prospects - TSN.ca

Pretty good list from 2019 although Kravstov much too high he had Shesterkin and Fox ranked better than most I would guess at the time.
Kravtsov is really being slept on around here nowadays. We got spoiled by the lottery but this kid is way better than people think he is.

That's a fun list. Crazy to think we had three in the top 12 before adding a 1 and 2OA.

Also, we ended up trading him for Cuylle, but who on that list lower than Lias Andersson would you not trade him for? The answer is no one, right?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Lundkvist should be higher, and he would be if he was 3 inches taller.
I think he’s packaged with out 1st and a roster player for a young impact center. I think Schneider is ready by camp and having Fox and Jones in the system makes it easier to trade Lundkvist although he’s going to be excellent in his own right. Just my 2 cents

Slurpeelover27

Unleash the MaKaraken!!!
Mar 7, 2018
British Columbia
Caufield is ridiculously overrated.
Well if he scores 40 goals a few times then he isn't. Haven't seen enough of him to have an opinion, but he has the stats to back him up so far. We will see soon enough. Same with Nils and the rest. I know for sure Nils has some serious skills, but will it all translate into stardom in the NHL? I am pretty sure it will, but plenty of highly touted prospects bust out. Prospects are so hard to predict for the average fan especially, unless you are a junky and watch most of them play I don't know how most can criticize these lists. I love them, but take them all with a grain of salt. At least these 'experts' should have a lot more info and viewing time then most.

Fantastic to see Nils at 10. I saw Makar coming years ago as a superstar and Nils is certainly not at that level skill wise. Best comparable for me is that he looks a lot like a young Kris Letang. Incredible if he reaches that level.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm not some huge liberal, but why should Swedish players get their own award? Are they better than non-Swedish players?

They also have awards where all players are eligible. In 2018-19 for instance, Jesse Virtanen won the Defenseman of the year award, while Erik Gustafsson won the Börje Salming trophy.

I honestly don't understand why this is an issue.

In the US? Yes

I guess. But it's a trophy handed out in Sweden. In Austria, they have a trophy for the league winner and a separate trophy for the highest ranked Austrian team which is considered the Austrian championship.

When a team like HC Bolzano (Italy) won the league recently, the Austrian championship was handed to Klagenfurter AC.

Having a separate individual trophy for a homegrown player, I don't really see how that's an issue.

Quinnisinoverhishead

Oct 4, 2014
They also have awards where all players are eligible. In 2018-19 for instance, Jesse Virtanen won the Defenseman of the year award, while Erik Gustafsson won the Börje Salming trophy.

I guess. But it's a trophy handed out in Sweden. In Austria, they have a trophy for the league winner and a separate trophy for the highest ranked Austrian team which is considered the Austrian championship.

When a team like HC Bolzano (Italy) won the league recently, the Austrian championship was handed to Klagenfurter AC.

Having a separate individual trophy for a homegrown player, I don't really see how that's an issue.

It's just weird. Is there a trophy that goes towards best North American born player in the NHL? No. Because that would be dumb. It's not even a liberal vs conservative issue. They are excluding people on the ballot based solely on where they were born.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It's just weird. Is there a trophy that goes towards best North American born player in the NHL? No. Because that would be dumb. It's not even a liberal vs conservative issue. They are excluding people on the ballot based solely on where they were born.

Relax. This isn't the presidential election :laugh:

They have a separate award for Swedish-born players. Big deal. It's not as if they replaced the actual Defenseman of the year-award. This one is just a separate award.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Do they get like trophies, and if so, did he throw it into the stands? Or was he not tall enough to get it over the glass? :sarcasm:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

It's a cultural thing and a reflection of American society. If the leagues handed out awards for the best American player at a position, separate from the best player at a position in general, people would complain that we're recognizing Americanism for no real reason and creating division along geographic/cultural/ethnic lines. The NHL is a melting pot of a league (and North America a melting pot of a region), and there's really no reason to create an award based solely on where a person is from.

It would just run counter to the modern ethos of diversity and inclusion that most NA sports leagues are adopting. It's one thing if it were done by outside organizations or something, but at the league level a lot of people would have a problem with it.

Personally I think it's silly to have awards limited to players born and/or raised within a particular country, but that's just me. I also don't think it's a big enough deal to get upset over, although I know a lot of people here in the US would get upset.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
If his season is over why doesn't he come over play some games in AHL or NHL to get a head start for next season?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Maybe it's not a strong point, but there is a US Hockey Hall of Fame that separate from the general Hockey Hall of Fame. The US HoF is exclusive to Americans. It's not that different of a scenario as an award exclusive to nationality.
For sure, there are all sorts of things like that. Bobby Trivigno who plays with Jones and is coming to our camp in the fall, he just recently won some award for best US-born player in the New England region or something. I think it's totally normal for organizations dedicated to specific sub-groups of people to recognize people exclusively from those group--Best Jewish Athlete from a Jewish advocacy organization, Best LGBTQ+ Athlete from a relevant organization, etc. There's certainly a place for that and in most cases I support the idea wholeheartedly.

The difference for me is whether it's being sponsored directly by the league, or by a separate organization/entity. But, again, it's not something I would get upset over, and in European leagues I understand the importance of recognizing the best domestic player as well. It's just different in the US, at least at the moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad