TSN: Nick Robertson requests trade from Toronto

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
What would Toronto want for him?
They won't get proper value for him, so they are better off holding onto him and letting him play out the year.

Leafs have all the leverage here when it comes to Robertson and where he plays.

Reactions: Roo

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This guy is going to score 30 if given the proper opportunity. Toronto should keep him and give him more opportunities playing top 6 and PP.
We're talking a player who has never scored 15. He's not going to score 30. He's a potential 20 goal scorer. Lots of entire rosters didn't even have a 30 goal guy. He's not the best player on any team in the league and isn't in most top 6s.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
JG Pageau for Nick Robertson. You get rid of your prospect and get a bottom 6 center in return who’s seen the conference finals.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
We're talking a player who has never scored 15. He's not going to score 30. He's a potential 20 goal scorer. Lots of entire rosters didn't even have a 30 goal guy. He's not the best player on any team in the league and isn't in most top 6s.

16 ES goals in his first 87 career games as a U22 kid, averaging just 11 mins per game. It's no stretch at all to suggest he could be a 25-30 goal guy in the future. Maybe right away if given consistent top 9 and PP time.

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
Agree to disagree I suppose. I just looked at his usage, his goal totals and his shot, his development and figure he's better than the 14 goals and 11mins average time on ice with no powerplay but what do I know?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
16 ES goals in his first 87 career games as a U22 kid, averaging just 11 mins per game. It's no stretch at all to suggest he could be a 25-30 goal guy in the future. Maybe right away if given consistent top 9 and PP time.
Again, this is silly. The guy shot 15% and had 14 goals as a career high. I'm not saying the premise is wrong that he has more to give and might one day hit 20. I'm just saying guys like Jason Robertson, Jack Hughes, Tkachuk, Scheifele ect didn't hit 30 last year. Nick isn't close to as good of a goal scorer as any of those guys. He's more likely to be out of the league in 3 years than he is to hit 30 goals.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Again, this is silly. The guy shot 15% and had 14 goals as a career high. I'm not saying the premise is wrong that he has more to give and might one day hit 20. I'm just saying guys like Jason Robertson, Jack Hughes, Tkachuk, Scheifele ect didn't hit 30 last year. Nick isn't close to as good of a goal scorer as any of those guys. He's more likely to be out of the league in 3 years than he is to hit 30 goals.

"A career high", dude he had only played 31 games across parts of three seasons prior, never more than 15 games, he was only a few games over the threshold for being Calder eligible this season. That 14 goals came in his first "full" season in the league, which was still only 56 games - that's an 82 game pace of 20.5 goals in his only year that was close to a complete season. You're basically saying he's never going to produce at a better rate than he did as a 22 year old rookie.

Robertson has scored at every level himself. Natural offensive talent right from a young age in minor hockey. 55 goals in 46 games for his last OHL season. 22 goals in his last 39 AHL games across the last three seasons. Over 20 goal pace in his first full NHL season with little usage, he can score.

Reactions: Tarmore and KapG

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
This doesn't make sense. You can be the best player on a team and not score the most goals.
It makes sense. It's not universal is what you meant to say. The best player scores the most goals for almost half the teams in the league. When 13 teams don't have a 30 goal scorer there are multiple teams he'd be the best player for doing that.

What doesn't make sense is saying a guy who shot 15% and scored 14 goals is a 30 goal scorer.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
"A career high", dude he had only played 31 games across parts of three seasons prior, never more than 15 games, he was only a few games over the threshold for being Calder eligible this season. That 14 goals came in his first "full" season in the league, which was still only 56 games - that's an 82 game pace of 20.5 goals in his only year that was close to a complete season. You're basically saying he's never going to produce at a better rate than he did as a 22 year old rookie.

Robertson has scored at every level himself. Natural offensive talent right from a young age in minor hockey. 55 goals in 46 games for his last OHL season. 22 goals in his last 39 AHL games across the last three seasons. Over 20 goal pace in his first full NHL season with little usage, he can score.
No. I'm saying he could be a 20 goal scorer. He's not going to be a 30 goal scorer. You're doing mental gymnastics here trying to justify a terrible opinion based on nothing he's done at the NHL level.

Matt Phillips was a pretty impressive WHLer. How's he done in the NHL?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Well by saying he's a future 30 goal scorer you're saying he is since 13 teams didn't have a 30 goal scorer.

First of all I didn't say "he's a future 30 goal scorer" either, although I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that prediction.

Under the right circumstances, maybe even on another roster, we could see Nick hit another level and possibly reach 30.

And, believe it or not, hitting that mark wouldn't necessarily make him the best player on the team, either. But he can certainly be a player many teams would love to add to the roster, which I thought was what we're talking about.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
No. I'm saying he could be a 20 goal scorer. He's not going to be a 30 goal scorer. You're doing mental gymnastics here trying to justify a terrible opinion based on nothing he's done at the NHL level.

Matt Phillips was a pretty impressive WHLer. How's he done in the NHL?

Haha I'm doing mental gymnastics? A player has 87 career games, and you just referred to a 56 game sample of those as a "career high".

My comments about his scoring prior to the NHL, were in response to your assertion that he just isn't a goal scorer, there is no merit to that beyond your own random thoughts. He has scored at every level including the NHL in a small sample.

Multiple people are making sound arguments why he COULD score 25-30 (no one guaranteed anything), and your best counter argument is essentially "nope not happening, maybe 20". Which again is capping him at the pace he just produced in his first full but not even full season in the league. I think just maybe you are coming from a place of not wanting to see him succeed if he forces his way out of Toronto via trade demand.

Last edited:

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Agree to disagree I suppose. I just looked at his usage, his goal totals and his shot, his development and figure he's better than the 14 goals and 11mins average time on ice with no powerplay but what do I know?
He did have PP time. That's not true. I figure he could be better than 14 goals too. Just not 30. Connor McDavid barely scored 30 goals. Tkachuk, Hughes, Jason Robertson, Zibenajad ect didn't score 30 goals. How many players his size have scored 30 over the last 3 seasons? We're talking 2 guys in Gaudreau and Debrincat and they haven't done it every year.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Robertson+Liljegren for McGroarty+6th in 25 or 26 ?

Long time since we chatted last, years in fact.

As stated Robertson isn't really a need, not saying he doesn't have any value just not a need.

When Liljegren was drafted, going into that draft there was rumors the Jets were interested in drafting him potentially but never happened. Jets need top 4 RHD, not bottom pairing guys so depends how the Jets view his development & potential still would determine if they have interest in him still. I know with the Leafs he's had some ups & downs.

Reactions: Huffer and WTFMAN99

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
First of all I didn't say "he's a future 30 goal scorer" either, although I wouldn't necessarily disagree with that prediction.

Under the right circumstances, maybe even on another roster, we could see Nick hit another level and possibly reach 30.

And, believe it or not, hitting that mark wouldn't necessarily make him the best player on the team, either. But he can certainly be a player many teams would love to add to the roster, which I thought was what we're talking about.
What directly was said is he's going to hit 30 with the right usage. I think that's silly. I agree with the bolded. Many teams would have interest in a guy who could hit 20 with some pretty big flaws elsewhere in his game.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
They won't get proper value for him, so they are better off holding onto him and letting him play out the year.

Leafs have all the leverage here when it comes to Robertson and where he plays.
This rings as what has been said about every Leafs players/prospects for 7 years. Sure, some have been traded.

Isn't it time to ever try to do something big for this club?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think he is the most overrated prospect I have seen. Leafs fans have been propping him up like he is something great for years now. This is a nothing player. Pretty small, weak, barely can stay healthy. Nice shot, though.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
What directly was said is he's going to hit 30 with the right usage. I think that's silly. I agree with the bolded. Many teams would have interest in a guy who could hit 20 with some pretty big flaws elsewhere in his game.

I wouldn't say it's impossible, maybe unlikely but stranger things have happened. Wouldn't have pegged Hyman as a 50-goal scorer either, going into last season.

I think he is the most overrated prospect I have seen. Leafs fans have been propping him up like he is something great for years now. This is a nothing player. Pretty small, weak, barely can stay healthy. Nice shot, though.

Having an older brother who's racked up 100pts in a season doesn't hurt Nick's profile, that's for sure.

If Dallas can find a way to bring him over on a cheap one-for-one deal, I'd be all for it.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He has to play in your top 6 in a sheltered role. The Leafs need some bit in their top 6. It's why guys like Domi and Bertuzzi were playing there despite similar skill to Robertson. I do think people are insane here. Saying he's going to score as many goals as McDavid did last year seems foolhardy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad