TSN: Nick Robertson requests trade from Toronto

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Call me crazy, but the concept of Drew O'Connor for Nick Robertson+ something doesn't seem completely crazy to me.

Robertson would have a legit chance to play in the top 6, and develop into a legit 20+ goal scorer.

O'Connor, a nice cheap option that can likely compliment the Leafs skill in the top 9.... might still have some upside as well.

But of course, is Shanahan going to allow Treliving to trade with Dubas??

As a Leaf fan, I'd jump over that one as well.

The Blues deal may be better.

I definitely think that the thing is DOC is bigger fast. Probably lower offensive potential but the fact he played with Crosby at the end and did not get the boot means he plays a good hockey way.
As in he can play beside Matthews and be a Zach Hyman type player before Edmonton.

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
The problem is more time doesn’t mean you score at the same rate or overall game impact. That’s because he isn’t a good enough hockey player to be worthy of more ice time or be in a top 6. His ice time It’s not a conspiracy, it’s an evaluation of his game.
I think it’s well known that his defensive game needs some work. However that’s more to do with lack of experience as Keefe didn’t trust Robertson.

With the correct linemates to learn from he should thrive.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I like Robertson but are you aware this is a clip of 3 on 3 overtime :help: I don't even think he is that lost at 5 on 5 defensively but posting this clip doesn't really help his argument that much

@Budz sums it up well. I was quoting someone who suggested "I can't think of a single defensive attribute to his game.".... well, that is a single defensive attribute... because the bar to dismiss not having one single defensive attribute is pretty low. That's all. Robertson is very good at stealing pucks from behind players, he's good at anticipating and intercepting passes, and he works hard in the dzone. He does need quite a bit of work, and needs to continue to quiet his game down more, as well as work on his positioning. He runs around defensively too much. I'm not suggesting he's good defensively, but he has enough characteristics in his game, that with proper coaching, and his good work effort, he could become solid defensively, and probably a decent PKer too.

Last edited:

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
I think it’s well known that his defensive game needs some work. However that’s more to do with lack of experience as Keefe didn’t trust Robertson.

With the correct linemates to learn from he should thrive.
Typical Leafs put the blame on the guy who just left town every year. Meanwhile nothing ever changes.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think he could be a player. He's abysmal defensively, but a lot of young players are. The size is also a concern. There's some skill here though. In the right situation with the right type of minutes he could be a 60 point player. I just don't think he will really help you win. Kind of like Kuzmenko or Caufield. The Leafs need those soft, prime minutes for better players.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Sprong is basically the same player, much older but just signed for a million.
Realistically, I think Robertson needs to take a 1m Show me deal and it could work out for him well.
Because this makes no sense to me why he can't just stay in toronto.

Robertson is a LW, Leafs LW Depth is maybe the worst in the league, if he can't make the roster going against Knies, Holmberg, mcmann and Dewar, then what are we doing here exactly?

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
The funny part is, I think he would have fit nicely with Vancouver as well also for a chance in the top 6, but that's not gonna happen now with Sprong on the team, who is gonna get the shot instead.

Canucks still need another LW for Depth if they gonna use Suter as a C

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
It's dumb to be pissed at a lad that feels he isn't a fit or doesn't like his career trajectory with a team. To take it personal makes the blokes mad the idiots, not the player.

I don't get the point of forcing to keep a player that doesn't feel his best shot is with his current team. Then again Treliving being unable to see that for years in Calgary is quite on brand for him.

I hope Nick gets moved and is able to play for a team that he sees a better future for himself. Like some slobs sitting behind their keyboard have any right to judge a lad that wants the best for his own damn future.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
It's dumb to be pissed at a lad that feels he isn't a fit or doesn't like his career trajectory with a team. To take it personal makes the blokes mad the idiots, not the player.

I don't get the point of forcing to keep a player that doesn't feel his best shot is with his current team. Then again Treliving being unable to see that for years in Calgary is quite on brand for him.

I hope Nick gets moved and is able to play for a team that he sees a better future for himself. Like some slobs sitting behind their keyboard have any right to judge a lad that wants the best for his own damn future.

How does any of this have to do with Brad Treliving? For not immediately aceding to a trade request? Treliving didn't make the decisions on his ice time, and his responsibility is to do right by the club, not one disgruntled hockey player.

I don't begrudge Robertson for the trade request, at all. But I also wouldn't begrudge Treliving for not moving him. Toronto needs goalscoring depth, there's room for competition at left wing, new opportunities with a new coach, and unless there's a trade out there that makes sense for the team as a whole, it's better to hang onto him for now.

It's also just been, what, three weeks since free agency kicked off? Plenty of time to make a trade, if there's a reasonable one to be made.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
the only thing that kept Bracco out of the NHL was off-ice issues.
very bad attempt at trying to look cool by name dropping an on the rise prospect that ended his career with bad off ice decisions.
His lack of speed ( but shifty w good edges ) w the size didn’t help but yah talented kid . Not same scenario ; by all accounts Robertson is a gym rat / hard worker

Last edited:

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com

I mean we have been more than patient with him, he's had so many injuries and now he just wants out when there's actually a spot available for him. potentially even in the top 6, where else will he have a chance in the top 6 playing with a player like Matthews or Marner, wanting out now imo doesn't make alot of sense but if he wants out then cya

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
Yes LOL Keefe is incompetent.
I don't know about that. He took a team known for their offense to 4th in GA two years ago and he did it with Justin Holl as one of his top defensemen. He consistently had the Leafs near the top of the league. At some point it's on the players to play. He can't score for Matthews on the playoffs. When you get paid the money the Leafs big contracts get paid it's on them to take the team on their back and show they are worth their contracts. They don't deserve any excuses.

Reactions: 7even

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
I don't know about that. He took a team known for their offense to 4th in GA two years ago and he did it with Justin Holl as one of his top defensemen. He consistently had the Leafs near the top of the league. At some point it's on the players to play. He can't score for Matthews on the playoffs. When you get paid the money the Leafs big contracts get paid it's on them to take the team on their back and show they are worth their contracts. They don't deserve any excuses.
Guess we’ll see if he can guide Jersey to the next level . My feeling was it’s definitely on the players but Keefe would pretty consistently get out coached in each of the series pretty blatantly at points

TurgPavs

Jan 7, 2019
Personally I'd rather keep Toropchenko, but it's probably not horrible value-wise.
Agree.
It would be highly unlikely that Robertson would be in the top 6 in St. Louis, thus he would be in a bottom 6 role, which IMO Torp is a better option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad