TSN: Nick Robertson requests trade from Toronto

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Id say he’s brittle but not soft . He’ll go in the corners and fight for the puck he’s just not very strong and as a result gets nicked up on the regular .

I think we're getting caught up on different takes on the word. I don't think he's cowardly - he doesn't shy away from physical contact - but he's not nearly strong enough or quick enough to be effective if he goes into a corner, or engages one on one. His lack of strength makes him a pretty easy mark. That's what I mean when I say he's soft.

I think he is average defensively;

Here there's no confusion on the word choice, we just don't agree at all. I think he's quite clearly not "average" defensively. His compete level is much higher in offensive situations than it is in defensive ones. I can't think of a single defensive attribute to his game.

I additionally think his hockey iq / anticipation skills would be an asset on the pk , like it was every stop getting to the NHL .

Every stop leading to the NHL, he wasn't a below average skater. But at the NHL level, he's absolutely a below average skater. His skating and lack of defensive acumen would make him a liability killing penalties.

There's a long list of players who light it up in Junior and become point-a-game guys in the AHL who just can't make it happen at the NHL level because they don't skate well enough to do what they did so successfully at all other levels. With Robertson, it's not just his skating that suddenly becomes a hurdle at the NHL level but also his size/strength. When he has time and space, you absolutely see sparks of an exciting player because he has a good shot, good vision and he can make plays. The problem is, his lack of size and foot speed mean getting time and space is difficult, without a man advantage.

I don't think the Leafs are going to regret moving on from him.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd like Robertson in Dallas but ew. That's awful for the Stars.

Is Bourque going to get a legit chance with the Stars? As a centre?

Hintz-Johnston-Seguin is pretty stacked, I suppose Seguin could always go to wing.

Bourque for Robertson would be a decent base that I would consider adding a small plus onto.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Penguins have the SJS 3rd in 2026. I believe that plus Puustinen would be a decent swap for both sides. I don't see how Toronto can make the cap space. I could also advocate for the Penguins taking on Jarnkrok if Robertson is added for free and we send back something cheap.

Reactions: Goodleaf

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Penguins have the SJS 3rd in 2026. I believe that plus Puustinen would be a decent swap for both sides. I don't see how Toronto can make the cap space. I could also advocate for the Penguins taking on Jarnkrok if Robertson is added for free and we send back something cheap.
Why would Toronto do that when both have value ?

Reactions: Lil Tuzzi Bert

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Why would Toronto do that when both have value ?
Cap space. I didn't put it in my post but I was thinking Puustinen going back as a cheap roster player.

I think Jarnkrok has as much value as Kampf, Eller, and Acciari...which is a very late round pick like a 5th or 6th. Maybe. The value in the trade is the Penguins getting Robertson for taking on Jarnkrok.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Nick Robertson + Conor Timmins
For
Drew O’Connor

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Here's there's no confusion on the word choice, we just don't agree at all. I think he's quite clearly not "average" defensively. His compete level is much higher in offensive situations than they are in defensive ones. I can't think of a single defensive attribute to his game.

Clearly this isn't a guy you've watched very much.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Leafs should’ve traded him years ago.

They let him rot in the minors and hasn’t gotten many good chances at a top 6 role due to the leafs having a stacked top 6. Not worth anything near what he did 3-4 years ago now. Should trade him and a draft pick for a top 4 d man. Need to strengthen d still. Far from perfect.

Better defence will help Woll and stolarz

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
I'd expect an actual plus with Robertson for DOC.

DOC has a really good contract and good hustle where he can play anywhere.

Call me crazy, but the concept of Drew O'Connor for Nick Robertson+ something doesn't seem completely crazy to me.

Robertson would have a legit chance to play in the top 6, and develop into a legit 20+ goal scorer.

O'Connor, a nice cheap option that can likely compliment the Leafs skill in the top 9.... might still have some upside as well.

But of course, is Shanahan going to allow Treliving to trade with Dubas??

To StL…Robertson
To Tor…Torpochenko

Thoughts

As a Leaf fan, I'd jump over that one as well.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.

They let him rot in the minors and hasn’t gotten many good chances at a top 6 role due to the leafs having a stacked top 6. Not worth anything near what he did 3-4 years ago now. Should trade him and a draft pick for a top 4 d man. Need to strengthen d still. Far from perfect.

He has 60 career AHL games…. 21 of those while he was still a teenager and should have been in Jr. but the league was shut down for Covid.
That is hardly “letting him rot in the minors”

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I swear people act like he is 26 and not 22 lol 4 years ago he was 18 going on 19. Once he turned pro he had injury issues....last season was his first healthy season since junior...when was the time the Leafs should have traded him?

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
He scored 14 goals in very limited ice time including PP time. Robertson could easily score 25 goals with top 6 minutes. The guy can rip the puck.
The problem is more time doesn’t mean you score at the same rate or overall game impact. That’s because he isn’t a good enough hockey player to be worthy of more ice time or be in a top 6. His ice time It’s not a conspiracy, it’s an evaluation of his game.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
I like Robertson but are you aware this is a clip of 3 on 3 overtime :help: I don't even think he is that lost at 5 on 5 defensively but posting this clip doesn't really help his argument that much
I believe that poster is trying to show he’s not totally inept at defense. He played the 2-1 decently and stripped the puck causing an odd man rush the other way. I will say, imo he’s not a strong defensive player. This is a good play though.

The goal is prototypical Robertson - elite release and shot. All the Leafs were interviewed at the start of last years camp and when asked about best/hardest shot on the team - the majority said Robertson.

Overall he is a work in progress. I personally hope he stays and they play him with Matthews and Domi/Marner. Robertson would benefit from playing with pass first guys. He also would likely be open a lot with defenses focusing on Matthews.

I would then try to move him around Christmas when his value is better established. As I am not sure he is a Treliving/Berube kind of guy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad