TSN: Nick Robertson requests trade from Toronto

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
What would Toronto want for him?
Realistically his value is probably a 2nd or a young roster player with middle 6 upside. I think he will be a top 6 player and probably a 30/30 guy in his prime, he has an amazing shot and is good offensively just so badly misused.

We likely lose any trade involving Robertson.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I wouldn't say it's impossible, maybe unlikely but stranger things have happened. Wouldn't have pegged Hyman as a 50-goal scorer either, going into last season.

Having an older brother who's racked up 100pts in a season doesn't hurt Nick's profile, that's for sure.

If Dallas can find a way to bring him over on a cheap one-for-one deal, I'd be all for it.
Zack Hyman is a heck of a hockey player. That said, he scored 50 goals because of who he plays with. He's more like a 25-30 guy without McDavid. But he does everything. Defense, forecheck, makes space, sets picks for CM. He's the perfect linemate for him and I hate that you guys let him go there.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Zack Hyman is a heck of a hockey player. That said, he scored 50 goals because of who he plays with. He's more like a 25-30 guy without McDavid. But he does everything. Defense, forecheck, makes space, sets picks for CM. He's the perfect linemate for him and I hate that you guys let him go there.

<----------Not a Leafs fan, but I get your point. Hyman obviously a product of McJesus but he's still banging those loose pucks in from three feet out.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
<----------Not a Leafs fan, but I get your point. Hyman obviously a product of McJesus but he's still banging those loose pucks in from three feet out.
Yeah and he does all the dirty work McDavid sucks at. He gets the puck out of their end. I think he's a really good player. Fill my roster with players like him and I'll win the cup regularly.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
And trading Nick Robertson is big how exactly?
Because it could be a push to try to win now instead of constant wait and see.

Maybe I feel it tied to Marner slightly, if they traded Marner. Hey Robertson has a spot in the top 6 he could win and try out. Otherwise it's a lot of staying the course and will he fit in with Berube in a bottom 6 role or just fizzle out questions.

I see other posts about draft picks, he makes zero sense to trade for picks, it should be for roster help

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Well by saying he's a future 30 goal scorer you're saying he is since 13 teams didn't have a 30 goal scorer.
Zach Hyman, Brayden Point and Brock Boeser are all fine players who led their teams in goals this season but it would be hard to find anyone that thought Hyman was better than McDavid, Point was better than Kucherov and Boeser was better than Hughes.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Will probably need to play more than 60 total games in a season before he can reach the value some want on here. Even if it is just AHL and NHL combined, at least a 75% workload would go a long way.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Zach Hyman, Brayden Point and Brock Boeser are all fine players who led their teams in goals this season but it would be hard to find anyone that thought Hyman was better than McDavid, Point was better than Kucherov and Boeser was better than Hughes.
Again, I said almost half the time the leading goal scorer is the best player. There are tons of examples of that.

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
He did have PP time. That's not true. I figure he could be better than 14 goals too. Just not 30. Connor McDavid barely scored 30 goals. Tkachuk, Hughes, Jason Robertson, Zibenajad ect didn't score 30 goals. How many players his size have scored 30 over the last 3 seasons? We're talking 2 guys in Gaudreau and Debrincat and they haven't done it every year.
Most players his size don't have his release. He averaged 11 mins and change while playing 56 games while scoring 14 goals in his first "full" year. He paced near 20 under those circumstances with the limited playing time had. The Leafs will regret letting this guy go if they honor his trade request. Feel free to quote me.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
If the Leafs are not trading Marner, I would like Robertson Matthews Marner together to start the year.

Hopefully, he fills the net and we can move him.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Most players his size don't have his release. He averaged 11 mins and change while playing 56 games while scoring 14 goals in his first "full" year. He paced near 20 under those circumstances with the limited playing time had. The Leafs will regret letting this guy go if they honor his trade request. Feel free to quote me.
I disagree strongly. I don't think you'll ever see this player score 30. I just think that's silly. Caufield has a much better shot and hasn't scored 30. I don't think this is one that will bite the Leafs. Hyman was that one.

REALTALK81

Pro Log Driver
Nov 16, 2009
I disagree strongly. I don't think you'll ever see this player score 30. I just think that's silly. Caufield has a much better shot and hasn't scored 30. I don't think this is one that will bite the Leafs. Hyman was that one.
Its the Leafs. We have multiple ones that bite us in the arse 🤣 (Verhaeghe, Kadri, Rask, Hyman etc) All those fwds scored 30+. Caufield will get there as well if he plays full seasons. Side note: Robertson actually played ahead of Caufield for the Junior team.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Just trade him for a top 10 pick from the the last 2 drafts alresdy. That’s what the Oilers would do anyways.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
11 pages for this nothing player
Nothing player?

Last year he was 8th in 5v5 goals/60 among LWs and 12th in 5v5 points/60, he produced like a true first line player in limited minutes. He was ahead of other top LWs like Kaprizov, Matthew Tkachuk, Kyle Connor, Matt Boldy, and his own brother in both categories, despite playing with way worse linemates than those guys (his most common linemates being Domi, Jarnkrok, and Holmberg).

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Nothing player?

Last year he was 8th in 5v5 goals/60 among LWs and 12th in 5v5 points/60, he produced like a true first line player in limited minutes. He was ahead of other top LWs like Kaprizov, Matthew Tkachuk, Kyle Connor, Matt Boldy, and his own brother in both categories, despite playing with way worse linemates than those guys (his most common linemates being Domi, Jarnkrok, and Holmberg).
Robertson is talented but he obviously isnt as impactful or as valuable as those guys

He had a lot of nice short stretches where he would score points, but given a bigger role vs higher tier competition not likely he is that high for 5v5 production

He does have the ability to be a 60-70 pt top line player, but it doesnt seem like toronto will develop him into that

Berube should have robertson and nylander on a line together to optimize our offense

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I would be interested in bringing him to NJ. We could use a shifty shooter that can play with pace.

Robertson is talented but he obviously isnt as impactful or as valuable as those guys

He had a lot of nice short stretches where he would score points, but given a bigger role vs higher tier competition not likely he is that high for 5v5 production

He does have the ability to be a 60-70 pt top line player, but it doesnt seem like toronto will develop him into that

Berube should have robertson and nylander on a line together to optimize our offense
Why not? Yeah, he'd get tougher opponents, but give him a legit playmaking 1C and he'd be filling the net.

I don't think it's really that obvious at all. The talent is there.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Based on what Zach Benson, another smallish but way more skilled forward got traded for .. Good luck.

Uhh what? Zach Benson has not been traded. You thinkin Savoie?

Anywho, love this dude, hope he does well wherever he goes.

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
If the Leafs are not trading Marner, I would like Robertson Matthews Marner together to start the year.

Hopefully, he fills the net and we can move him.
If the Leafs run Robertson Matthews Marner, Robertson should sit and demand a trade. The 3rd wheel on that line is a career-killing position.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
I see other posts about draft picks, he makes zero sense to trade for picks, it should be for roster help
And what type of roster help do you expect Nick Robertson to return? So far, he's unproven and any player that would be worthwhile coming back has to work cap wise, which the Leafs have almost none to speak of.

He's not returning anything of value when it comes to helping the Leafs current roster.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I would be interested in bringing him to NJ. We could use a shifty shooter that can play with pace.

Why not? Yeah, he'd get tougher opponents, but give him a legit playmaking 1C and he'd be filling the net.

I don't think it's really that obvious at all. The talent is there.

Still kinda shocked Anaheim isn’t all over this

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad