HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #21 (closed)

• Jiri Kulich - C/W

• Dmitri Simashev - D

• Cole Eiserman - RW

• Olen Zellweger - D

• Jonathan Lekkerimaki - RW

• Oliver Bonk - D

• Berkly Catton - C

• Gabe Perreault - RW

• Zayne Parekh - D

• Rutger McGroarty - RW

• Konsta Helenius - C

• Denton Mateychuk - D

• Brayden Yager - C

• Dalibor Dvorsky - C

• Mavrik Bourque - C

• Conor Geekie - C

• Easton Cowan - RW

• Matt Savoie - C

• Carter Yakemchuk - D

• Brad Lambert - C/W

• Nate Danielson - C

• Quintin Musty - LW

• Axel Sandin-Pellikka - D

• Callum Ritchie - C

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Lol. Didn't Wheeler have like...Brzustewicz ranked ahead of Willander even? He clearly just doesn't like the guy.

idk. I just don't really see it. But a lot of these sort of publications (and this voting list here) tend to massively overemphasize "Closeness to NHL". As well as just big raw counting stats at lower levels.

Neither of which is going to flatter Willander a lot. But that doesn't mean he isn't a better prospect than Lekkermaki. Much more important and valuable at the very least.
no he has Willander a respectable 45th, Lekk is 32... Brzustewicz 96

hes in that next wave of adds for sure

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Habs prospects faring better here than in Atheltic's wheeler's ranking

Ivan Demidov (3rd) vs 3rd
Lane Hutson (26th) vs 14th
David Reinbacher (38th) vs 20th
Michael Hage (41st) vs ???

Shouldn't Hage be a voting option if Reinbacher was already voted?
Lots of Habs fans here.

Frankly I'm surprised they have the time to vote as they are planning their parade.....well at least that small minority we all know eh?

Still took Catton and add Adam Jiricek.

This aggregate list will look very interesting until this time next eyar when James Hagens and company will all push aside these 24 draft day bums.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

I meant earlier, back somewhat late in the draft process. I'm pretty sure i recall that being a thing at some point. Think it said a lot about where his preferences fall. Checking back, Willander did slip ahead for his final rankings. Willander 27. Brzustewicz 40. But the fact it was that close...and largely on being quite low on Willander...i think that says a lot there.

Even if 45 is not an entirely unreasonable rankings now, i guess. But again, Willander was the slightly higher pick in a much stronger draft. And has done nothing to dispel the idea he was worth that pick since.

Whereas Lekk at 32 has been far more up and down, a much less valuable type of player, and just happens to be potentially "closer" to the NHL. Though that remains to be seen.

In any case...i'd certainly give up Lekkerimaki long before i'd even entertain moving Willander. Which to me, is the most meaningful measure of a prospect's "quality". :dunno:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think that Joshua Roy and maybe Mailloux should be above Hage in the depth chart

At least Roy, for sure
Currently sure but as prospects Hage should be ahead of both easily as Roy and Mailloux have issues to overcome before being top6/ top4 respectively and very well might not make it in those roles.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I agree that Willander > Lekkerimaki. And I'd have Willander on the board soon.

Based on what?

Mateychuk can do everything, every part of the ice, every game situation.

For instance he can take contact against the forecheck and use his strength to interrupt the cycle, both situations where Parekh just gets run over (and potentially injured).

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

For instance he can take contact against the forecheck and use his strength to interrupt the cycle, both situations where Parekh just gets run over (and potentially injured).
You know they're like... the same size, right?

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

You are comparing a 20 year old to an 18 year old and saying the 20 year old is better because he handles contact better?

No one will deny that Parekh needs to work on his physicality but it’s absolutely insane to act like an 18 year old is a finished product.

Reactions: Finster8

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
You know they're like... the same size, right?

Yeah I've looked at elite prospects and hockey db a few million times.

I also watch a lot of junior hockey and know the difference between a physically strong person and a physically weak one.

You are comparing a 20 year old to an 18 year old and saying the 20 year old is better because he handles contact better?

No one will deny that Parekh needs to work on his physicality but it’s absolutely insane to act like an 18 year old is a finished product.

Parekh really is uniquely weak though, even when you just compare him to other D when they were 18. He gets plowed over by 170 lb junior kids. The injury risk is as high as it gets with him. I like the upside with Parekh but the downsides have to be taken seriously.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I also watch a lot of junior hockey and know the difference between a physically strong person and a physically weak one.

Parekh really is uniquely weak though, even when you just compare him to other D when they were 18. He gets plowed over by 170 lb junior kids. The injury risk is as high as it gets with him. I like the upside with Parekh but the downsides have to be taken seriously.
Yes, I take his poor physicality very seriously, which is why I haven’t voted for him until now—I also ding Catton for this aspect. But I would make the argument that physicality is the only real aspect of Parekh’s game that is a problem. He’s never going to be a defensive stalwart, but his positioning is fine and rush defense is solid. His only real defensive issue is that he gets bullied in front of his net, everything else is passable by NHL standards. And I don’t think it’s fair to assume that an 18 year old won’t get strong enough to play in the NHL, even if it will obviously never be a strength of his.

Mateychuk is the safer prospect, yes, but I don’t see top pairing upside in him and Parekh has a real chance to be a star. And yes, I watch a lot of junior hockey too.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto

Funny you would make that assumption. I live in an OHL town and go to games regularly. I watch a tonne of OHL hockey. I'd love to see this footage of Parekh getting plowed by 170 pounders.

• Haha
Reactions: CanadienShark

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
Im not part of those homer votes that have Hutson and Reinbacher in this high, but to be fair Montreal were recently ranked 3rd in the league amongst the "NHL team prospect pools".

I think Mailloux and Roy would arguably have their place in the top 50, as they are AHL proven talents. Mailloux 3rd leading scorer in the AHL amongst Dmen as a rookie! Roy 32P in 41GP (Laval), had a great WJC with Bedard, and a respectable 9P in 24GP with the crapass Habs last season.

But theyll both be in the that huge mix as we get past #40 or so.

View attachment 896431

Lol what the hell is this

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

If you watch so much junior hockey you must have seen Mateychuk at the world juniors… where he was an absolute unmitigated disaster. Saying Mateychuk is strong tells me you’ve never seen him play.

Parekh was a better player than him on a much worse CHL team and he’s two years younger. Outplayed Mateychuk quite significantly at the Mem Cup as well. But you’d know that because you watch so much junior hockey

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
If you watch so much junior hockey you must have seen Mateychuk at the world juniors… where he was an absolute unmitigated disaster. Saying Mateychuk is strong tells me you’ve never seen him play.

Parekh was a better player than him on a much worse CHL team and he’s two years younger. Outplayed Mateychuk quite significantly at the Mem Cup as well. But you’d know that because you watch so much junior hockey
?????????????????????????

Reactions: majormajor

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I think this is really telling on how shallow your viewings are. I watched every Canada WJC and every Mem cup game. Mateychuk looked good in both. At times amazing.

For the record, and I'll just use the stats here because we need something objective to work with, two-way Mateychuk solidly outproduced the one-way Parekh in the Memorial Cup. 3 goals and 4 assists in 4 games, while Parekh had 1 goal and 4 assists in 5 games. Mateychuk was a team leading +4 on a Moose Jaw team that was outscored heavily with him off the ice.

And he had his carry pants on for a weak WJC squad, had a team leading +6 and 4 pts in 5 games.

"unmitigated disaster" lol. I'll know where to direct your scouting going forward (the trash bin).

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

ColumbusTrill

Mar 15, 2021
Advanced stats from the WJC are meaningless. He plays on Canada. Everyone had great stats. You can look up my posts from the time. He was terrible. Constantly put Canada in terrible positions. He did have a strong quarterfinal though, if I remember correctly.

I'm not so sure, looking back at the game score leaders (obviously not the best stat but gives you a general idea) and it's not littered with Canadians. In fact, Celebrini was the only other Canadian in the top 10 after prelims

Reactions: majormajor

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Lots of Habs fans here.

Frankly I'm surprised they have the time to vote as they are planning their parade.....well at least that small minority we all know eh?

Still took Catton and add Adam Jiricek.

This aggregate list will look very interesting until this time next eyar when James Hagens and company will all push aside these 24 draft day bums.

I always wonder if people think I am a Habs fan just because it's written "Montreal" in location... I see that a lot of people made their location invisible nowadays

I know some people lambasted me before as if I was a Habs fan... so freaking funny all these kids yelling at clouds

Back to the point, I meet a lot of people in general in RL and I don't remember someone talking about the Habs the last few months. It's just an online thing where you have the obsessed fans (like us)

Wheeler isn't great to compare to lol.

I'd like to have more lists to use... but he's the only one with an updated list. None of these lists are going to be perfect, I like to use averages, like for pre-draft consensus rankings. If one source has a prospect 1st OA and the 14 others have him around 100th OA, you know there might be a problem.

Reactions: wetcoast

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I always wonder if people think I am a Habs fan just because it's written "Montreal" in location... I see that a lot of people made their location invisible nowadays

I know some people lambasted me before as if I was a Habs fan... so freaking funny all these kids yelling at clouds

Back to the point, I meet a lot of people in general in RL and I don't remember someone talking about the Habs the last few months. It's just an online thing where you have the obsessed fans (like us)

I'd like to have more lists to use... but he's the only one with an updated list. None of these lists are going to be perfect, I like to use averages, like for pre-draft consensus rankings. If one source has a prospect 1st OA and the 14 others have him around 100th OA, you know there might be a problem.

For Wheeler particularly, he's infatuated with offense and couldn't give two shits about anything else... Which raises the question of is he anything more than a glorified stat watcher?

So, using the Habs as an example, he would love Hutson over Reinbacher, even though Reinbacher's game probably translates better to the NHL level.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

My post was mostly about numbers and it's weird because my team, the Canucks, also has alot of fans here but they don't seem as prospect obsessed but maybe that's because they had a good season last year?

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad