NHL to Atlanta odds just increased significantly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
Not my first or second choice for sure. I think those saying Quebec City is a nostaligc pick, but would fail and struggle, not much business sense there.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Absolute clown show if they expand the league again. 32 was such a good number of teams. And they have several teams up for relocation.

Not my first or second choice for sure. I think those saying Quebec City is a nostaligc pick, but would fail and struggle, not much business sense there.
Is there more business sense in having ice hockey in a desert?

Reactions: Sniper99

MoneyManny

Jun 28, 2021
What's up with all these big companies trying reaaaaallly hard to sell their products to anyone BUT their target demographics and failing miserably these days? I know what they're trying to do but shouldn't they wait until their OTHER money sink impossible project (Arizona) shows some signs of life before their next expedition into unknown terrotory?

A quick glance at Atlanta's demographics tell me this project is a massive uphill battle from the start.

Fast forward to 2027: Please welcome the Baltimore Barksdales to the NHL!

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I can't see any expansion happening while Arizona is Arizona.

Perhaps I've been outside of the BoH bubble too long, but this doesn't seem like a piece of expansion news.

Arizona will be settled one way or another by the summer.

And being outside the "BoH bubble" is probably a good thing.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Didn’t QC build or renovate a new arena to NHL standards, and has been waiting in the wings for ages?

Built a new arena at public expense.

When time came for the proposed ownership group to pony up the expansion fee they folded.

Fans support is definitely there, but NHL seems to think QC doesn't have the corporate support.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Basic math....

Canada population: 38,25 million.
US population: 340 million.
And what about the amount of people doing ice hockey, or being fans of it?

Surely you realize that the population is not what's relevant here? By that logic, you could make bank by starting an ice hockey league in India. A whopping billion people, woohoo.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Built a new arena at public expense.

When time came for the proposed ownership group to pony up the expansion fee they folded.

Fans support is definitely there, but NHL seems to think QC doesn't have the corporate support.
Quebec is a pipe dream, unless the team has immediate success like Vegas. I don’t see it being a sustainable market

Surely you realize that the population is not what's relevant here? By that logic, you could make bank by starting an ice hockey league in India. A whopping billion people, woohoo.
Canada is already tapped out for markets. The sad thing is you could drop Winnipeg/Ottawa and most people wouldn’t even flinch.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I think sevetsl things should happen.

ARZ should move but only be able to take 2/3 of their roster.

Check. Arizona won't have a third of their current roster there next season.

(but odds are they aren't moving)
2 other teams get added.

Check. Atlanta and Salt Lake City working on it.
All remaining teams established longer than 5 years protect 16 players. 9 forward, 5 Dmen and 2 goalies

Arizona and the new teams would draft the players they want.

So.... you agree Arizona is staying now.... :D

A cool twist would be adding void cards randomly to some players

This is the NHL..... not Pokemon or Magic: The Gathering.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Canada is already tapped out for markets. The sad thing is you could drop Winnipeg/Ottawa and most people wouldn’t even flinch.
My home town Tampere of 200k people has 2 ice hockey teams and both perform as top 4 teams in Finland.

Pretty sure Toronto of 4 million people is not tapped out by having only one team. If 200k people in Tampere make for 12.7k person sellout arenas(with demand for more), then assuming fans in Toronto like ice hockey as much as people in Tampere, that makes for potential 250k seats sold, when Leafs arena is only 18.8k.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Basic math? Let me tell you about basic math:

Canadian hockey fans: 30+ million
American hockey fans: 8+ million

Here's some business math.

Canada is tapped out and not growing.

US market is relatively untapped and offers massive growth potential.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
My home town Tampere of 200k people has 2 ice hockey teams and both perform as top 4 teams in Finland.

Pretty sure Toronto of 4 million people is not tapped out by having only one team. If 200k people in Tampere make for 12.7k person sellout arenas(with demand for more), then assuming fans in Toronto like ice hockey as much as people in Tampere, that makes for potential 250k seats sold, when Leafs arena is only 18.8k.
That’s not how it works

ijuka

May 14, 2016
That’s not how it works
Oh? Why not?

I'd say that Toronto can actually support around 10 NHL teams. Or is Tampere that much more of a hockey town than Toronto? Maybe I should start referring to Tampere as the mecca of hockey.

So imagine 10 teams in Toronto, full sellout arenas. Lots of local rivalries.

Now compare that to 10 random teams in USA in markets where no one cares about hockey, such as Arizona and Atlanta. How is that the superior decision?

ijuka

May 14, 2016

In terms of ice hockey? Doubtful.
you'd think they would at least be able to sell out all their arenas then
They could if the ticket prices were the same as they are for teams such as Anaheim Ducks.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Coyotes should relocate to Atlanta.

Then the Jets and Coyotes franchise can "trade" their history from before 2011 with each other. The Charlotte NBA franchise did something similar
Unfortunately, while Charlotte got the Hornets name back, we are left with one of the two most confusing names in the NBA because the original New Orleans team plays in Utah.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Oh? Why not?

I'd say that Toronto can actually support around 10 NHL teams. Or is Tampere that much more of a hockey town than Toronto? Maybe I should start referring to Tampere as the mecca of hockey.

So imagine 10 teams in Toronto, full sellout arenas. Lots of local rivalries.

Now compare that to 10 random teams in USA in markets where no one cares about hockey, such as Arizona and Atlanta. How is that the superior decision?
You can’t compare the Finnish league with the NHL

Salary is different, arenas are different, corporate sponsorships are different. You need substantially more overhead to run a team in Canada. Players in the top Finnish leagues make close to what the top players in the AHL make

Arizona and Atlanta are untapped markets where you can grow a brand without fighting an existing brand that’s worked for a long time.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
In terms of ice hockey? Doubtful.

They could if the ticket prices were the same as they are for teams such as Anaheim Ducks.

and i'd probably go to a Tennis game if someone gave me free tickets

does that make me a Tennis fan?

Winnipeg is one of the best teams in the league and still can't sell out the leagues smallest non college arena

rea

Feb 8, 2011

This I can agree with., But there's a caveat. Usa is untapped, but if you are going to expand and hope for success, do you try to target a region that's failed in 2 different generations, or do you try for a new one?

The game has grown alot since the days of gretzky going to LA, but it hasn't worked in many areas, which leaves the highest earning markets, which are majority Canadian, to cover the differences in profit share.

So I'd say while it's fine to target atl again, I don't feel they should get a heads up over ones that haven't had the opportunity or ones guaranteed to thrive.

Adding say a Quebec, that's printing money, which would be added to the support of the financially unstable like Arizona. Then u could add a Houston or etc. If the Utah owner really has a hard on there, I'd rather go there first, at least give them the shot.

If this happens, it really just feels like one man's mission (Bettmans) to push a square peg into a circular hole, and make his decisions work instead of admitting mb it's not the right time.

Rest of league owners, majority don't gaf where it is, cuz they all share a take of the expansion fees, which will be same for whoever comes in, which if based on the past 2, this one will be probably 800 to just a shy under a billion dollars

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I feel like, from my understanding of "The Gathering" project at least, it's the sort of thing that could still conceivable end up going forward with popular support, even without that Arena and NHL tenant at all.

This is probably a good sign that they've got some confirmation that it's something with a high degree of likelihood....but from the plans i've seen, the Arena itself is kind of just tacked on to a proposed dense, walkable little community off the highway. With a whole bunch of Residential towers and mixed use stuff, commercial and retail and public space to support it. So depending on how they'd choose to phase the development, they could very easily just start with the residential/mixed-use community...and then either plunk in the arena if it happens, or find some other sort of use for the space if it doesn't materialize.

It may have started with the idea of the Arena being an "anchor" for the community, but it seems like the project independent of the Arena has gained a lot of momentum anyway. It's becoming a fairly popular development model in a lot of places that are realizing suburban sprawl is a pretty wretched problem and major financial burden, but these sort of high density projects are an absolute cash cow in terms of tax dollars per area, and extremely "environmentally friendly" green patterns of development in general. More typically attached to some sort of significant transit option (rail, light rail, etc.) but there are other ways to make that work.

It sounds like it's still just a non-binding MOU? Which probably prioritizes moving forward with the other development first. Leaving the Arena funding contingent on landing a franchise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad