NHL to Atlanta odds just increased significantly

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Does it really for the average fan? I've been to many, many, many big league sporting events in my life and interacted with literally thousands of other fans, I can't recall ever hearing a single person complain about the league (whichever it was) having too many teams. The average fan is just there to have a good time, but it is their credit cards which actually fund things and not the relatively few super-loyal whose souls cannot go to heaven peacefully unless their team won it all.

If winning it all were the sine qua non of sports, the Cleveland Brown stadium would be completely empty every at home Sunday. The harder truth is that sports is simply a form of entertainment, nothing more and nothing less, and the more fans who are entertained the best it is for the average fans. Expansion entertains more fans; ergo, expansion is good from this perspective as well as the financial ones.
When I was a child I thought it cool the Mighty Ducks were getting a hockey team named after them…and since then, expansion has meant nothing but losing players in the expansion and playing rivals less…it has been nothing but a negative to me for 30 years.

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
When I was a child I thought it cool the Mighty Ducks were getting a hockey team named after them…and since then, expansion has meant nothing but losing players in the expansion and playing rivals less…it has been nothing but a negative to me for 30 years.
Well, you may need a break. The NHL is just entertainment and if it not entertaining you in a positive fashion then you probably need to think about moving on.

I used to be a rabid fan of my alma mater, traveling to go to every college football game. One day, they changed conferences and destroyed decades of tradition and rivalries. It no longer entertained me and I moved on. Never looked back. Something similar happened with the Lakers and the NBA. Never looked back. I'm not spending my time on something that doesn't make me happy. When the NHL no longer makes me happy, I'm outta here. That's just life. We can enjoy the entertainment, but we can't control it. The only control we do have is to walk away.

Reactions: cowboy82nd

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Well, you may need a break. The NHL is just entertainment and if it not entertaining you in a positive fashion then you probably need to think about moving on.

I used to be a rabid fan of my alma mater, traveling to go to every college football game. One day, they changed conferences and destroyed decades of tradition and rivalries. It no longer entertained me and I moved on. Never looked back. Something similar happened with the Lakers and the NBA. Never looked back. I'm not spending my time on something that doesn't make me happy. When the NHL no longer makes me happy, I'm outta here. That's just life. We can enjoy the entertainment, but we can't control it. The only control we do have is to walk away.
you’re missing the point…and I think deliberately…

VivaLasVegas

Sponsor
Jun 21, 2021
Lost Wages, Nevada
you’re missing the point…and I think deliberately…
Not really. Expansion makes you and some other fans unhappy. Yet, expansion is going to continue nonetheless. If you want to discuss why expansion will continue, why bother since it is going to continue nonetheless? Might as well discuss whether it would be preferable if the Mississippi river flowed in a northerly direction.

KeydGV21

Jul 25, 2006
Not really. Expansion makes you and some other fans unhappy. Yet, expansion is going to continue nonetheless. If you want to discuss why expansion will continue, why bother since it is going to continue nonetheless? Might as well discuss whether it would be preferable if the Mississippi river flowed in a northerly direction.
I said it sucks for fans and gave examples…

You told me it didn’t…

You missed the point…

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Might as well discuss whether it would be preferable if the Mississippi river flowed in a northerly direction.

Well I think it'd be a lot saltier, which would probably have a lot of negative effects on agriculture throughout the midwest, which would in turn have a negative effect on the countries food supply. I mean I'm not a scientist, this is me making several assumptions, I think it would be very much NOT preferable.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
lol, Gretzky s first season, 4 WHA teams were added in expansion, including his own.

The expansion happened before Gretzky stepped foot on the ice. My statement is true.

Not to mention that merger, before Gretzky took the ice, was with another professional hockey league (The WHA as you pointed out) that was taking players away from the NHL and now those players were returning to the league.

It was also a time when European players were really starting to cone over in droves.

To say Gretzky’s numbers were inflated because of constant expansion is idiotic.

Last edited:

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
lol, Gretzky s first season, 4 WHA teams were added in expansion, including his own.
Not to mention that NHL fans back in 1979 complained that taking on the WHA teams, i.e. more expansion, would do nothing but ruin the game and water it down.

There's not been one case where expansion hurt the league, the sport, or the game. The WHA was formed because there was interest in the game in other markets and the league was not expanding fast enough. Universally, the game has gotten better and interest has grown. The cases where there have been problems they corrected themselves, usually by moving. Other cases, like Europeans having not being able to play the NA game, turned out to be mostly a myth.

A new Atlanta franchise will be no different.

In fact, if the league does not expand, it retracts and other sports take up the vacuum.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
I’ve communicated with NHL to Atlanta on twitter and we’ve heard similar things about the NHL to atlanta since before weekes and buccigross started throwing it out there. I was told the new arena would be at Northpoint Mall in Alpharetta though, so was off there. Close enough though
Looks like I was told correctly. Just didn't know there would be 2 ownership groups.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Wonder what they will do with the division if Atlanta is back.

Should probably switch: Florida+Tampa+Atlanta to Metro for either NJD, NYR, NYI or PHI, PIT, CBJ.

Reactions: Dread Clawz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad