GDT: NHL 24 Draft Combine June 3-8 NOT the trade, roster or KK thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs

I've almost had enough of you kids
Feb 28, 2002
You’re the one that brought up playing like a globetrotter but getting results. Of course Demidov got results, he’s playing against terrible competition.

To be fair, Catton and Iggy aren't playing against wicked competition in the WHL this year, it's like the wild west out here. Lots of bad teams getting lit up

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
What exactly about Demidov is polished? Why does Sennecke play like a globetrotter? You seem to be watching the YouTube highlights and stat sheets and coming to a conclusion.

Ok. So you're actually comparing these two guys :laugh:.

Been fun talking with you guys. See ya.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Good OHL teams, the top MHL teams would not be at the bottom of the OHL.
The top MHL teams would likely sneak into the OHL playoffs. That’s about the upside.

Ok. So you're actually comparing these two guys :laugh:.

Been fun talking with you guys. See ya.
I’m not comparing, you’re just avoiding the question because you haven’t really seen either play.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
I said I was more interested in a polished player at 5 than a guy who is playing like a globetrotter.

To which I was asked if I would take Demidov.

I then proceeded to suggest that Sennecke and Demidov's numbers have nothing in common, nor do their calibre as draft-eligible prospects.

To which I was then told the MHL was a shitty league.

So then again, what is the point you guys are trying to make exactly? That if I have reserves on Sennecke, that I should have reserves on Demidov?

Are you insane :laugh:

One just posted a record year in the MHL and is widely seen as the #2 prospect, and the other is seen as a mid-round pick by most scouting services, who conveniently started producing after being put on Ritchie's line.

Are you seriously trying to establish a comparison as to how these two guys are even remotely freaking comparable?
Would it be "better" if his numbers in the MHL were just average? Obviously not. He's was supposed to dominate the MHL . . . and he did. That's good.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
It's not a reality that it's not an option. False narrative. It's not easy to pull off but we have assets. Teams like the Sabres and Devils are considering to trade the pick. Habs might have to make two deals like the Dach trade. Hawks didn't want Romanov but the Islanders did and they had the 13th.

Odds are low yes. Not easy but please don't act like this is impossible.
It happens like 2x a decade even tho every year we hear about THIS TEAM IS WILLING TO TRADE THEIR 1ST!!! so not really worth putting stock into.
But yes, technically it IS possible, just highly unlikely.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
No, my problem is mainly how awkward an unnatural this guy looks.

And judging most scouting departments around that have him going mid-first round, I'd say I'm not exactly the only one having reserves.
Unnatural? Because he's tall, lanky and hasn't filled out yet? Who cares when he has among the best puck handling skills in this draft class.

What scouting departments are you talking about? Public lists?

And you don't think that this is a huge bet for an organization with no forward prospect in the pipeline to use what's most likely the last top-5 pick you'll have in this "building" cycle on a guy that "is going to completely change the way he plays the game when he's fully grown in his body"?
Do you think Winnipeg regrets taking Scheifele? Sennecke was one of the most impactful players in the OHL playoffs in his draft year and lifted Oshawa to a surge in the standings in the 2nd half in a season they weren't supposed to be OHL contenders. The NHL draft is all about where these players are headed and this kid's trajectory is through the roof. He's just scratching the surface.

The kid has always had crazy ass skills. Now he has the size and the production to go with the skills. He's only starting to put it all together.

Locks

May 28, 2005
The latest Sennecke noise is Hughes has plans to add another pick from 10-13.

One of Demidov, Iggy, Lindstrom with our 5th pick
and
One of Eiserman, Catton, Sennecke with a pick from 10-13.

:nod:
Where does the "noise" come from?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Where does the "noise" come from?

The last few pages of this thread

It happens like 2x a decade even tho every year we hear about THIS TEAM IS WILLING TO TRADE THEIR 1ST!!! so not really worth putting stock into.
But yes, technically it IS possible, just highly unlikely.

Yes, odds are not high but they are not zero. I believe the post you replied to that I replied to said the reality is it's got zero chance. Something like that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That's bullshit. One of the 10 NHL scouts polled by Bob McKenzie before the lottery had him in the top 5. This has likely increased since the lottery edition of his poll was released.

Yet Bob has him 14th. Basically 1 scout liked him but most had him worse than 14th. You going to put your eggs in that 1/10 basket? I think that's bullshit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
To be fair, Catton and Iggy aren't playing against wicked competition in the WHL this year, it's like the wild west out here. Lots of bad teams getting lit up

Yeah but Iggy performed very well at the U18's to support his CHL season. And he is substantially younger than Catton. Catton's age 17 season was basically last season. Not eligible for this year's U18's and his U18's last year was meh.

Iggy > Catton

Reactions: Habs

Justin11

Jan 16, 2009
Montréal
Do yourself a favor now to save yourself the heartache in 3 weeks.

No one the Habs will be drafting 5th is going to be a shock because there's really no consensus post Celebrini.

I mean unless they go totally off the board.

This has been repeated many times by many over the last few weeks.

Reactions: Habs10Habs and 417

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Are you trying to say none of the scouts he polled at Sennecke in the top 5? If not, read the article.

You said no credible lists had him in the top 10. That's bullshit.

Avoid your trigger words... coming in too hot.

Go look at what I said. I said no credible draft rank list has Sennecke in the top 5. You went to look at Bob's context and used the 1/10 cherry picked card. Bob has him 14th and so does McKeen. Consolidated rankings from Elite Prospects has him 19th. That is out of date I believe.

I like Sennecke but he is a top 6F. I have higher standards with the 5th pick. Is it impossible for Sennecke to be a top line talent? NO.... that basically supports your 1/10 narrative.

Locks

May 28, 2005
The last few pages of this thread

Yes, odds are not high but they are not zero. I believe the post you replied to that I replied to said the reality is it's got zero chance. Something like that.
Ok, I thought there were some reports by the media. The only one I saw - and it is not direct - was Kent's interview with the Athletic where he mentioned moving up in the draft. One can interpret that he referred to the 26th since moving up in the top five rarely happens.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
That's bullshit. One of the 10 NHL scouts polled by Bob McKenzie before the lottery had him in the top 5. This has likely increased since the lottery edition of his poll was released.
Yep. Out of the 10 scouts, one had him at 5, two had him top 10. Pretty easy to suppose that out of the 22 other scouts/team in the league many others had him around that, too. And like you said, probably even more has him higher now.

We’ll see in 2 weeks in Bob’s last ranking. Pronman also has him 7th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad