Speculation: New GM Candidates?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Ian Mendes ‏@ian_mendes 2m
David Poile tells @TSN1200 he reached out to the Buffalo Sabres to suggest Paul Fenton as their GM. He is waiting to hear back from them.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
David Poile tells @TSN1200 he reached out to the Buffalo Sabres to suggest Paul Fenton as their GM. He is waiting to hear back from them.

Fenton is in my top 3 but what a move by the Nashville GM. That is a class act to recommened your AGM even know you risk losing him.

Sean McG

Dec 27, 2009
Niagara on the Lake, ON
edit: Beerz beat me to it.

Just saw this tweet from Ian Mendes..

Ian Mendes @ian_mendes

Interesting that he went as far to recommending him, usually teams will let their guys go if they get a GM job or better opportunity, but you don't often see things like this.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Fenton is in my top 3 but what a move by the Nashville GM. That is a class act to recommened your AGM even know you risk losing him.

Obviously he feels guilty for stealing Gaustad from us. :sarcasm:

I do worry that those guys felt Gaustad would get them over the top, lol.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Fenton is the guy I would want the most based off his interviews and what I've read. Benning is the guy I want the least.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
Impressive

Fenton also serves as general manager of the Predators’ primary developmental affiliate, the Milwaukee Admirals of the American Hockey League, who made their AHL-record 11th consecutive playoff appearance in 2013 despite seeing 11 of their top players recalled to Nashville during various points of the season. The Admirals extended their playoff streak thanks to a 15-4-1 record in their final 20 games. Milwaukee has won four division titles in the past 10 sea¬sons, and became the first team in AHL history to post 40-or-more wins and 90-or-more points in eight consecutive seasons from 2002-03 to 2010-11. He also served as Associate GM for Team USA at the 2011 World Championships.
http://predators.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=36986

Nice interview

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC

Interesting and very cool. I wonder what the search process will be like. Do they reach out to everyone they want within a few day's time or work through the list one-by-one based on who they like best on paper? I expect this process could take a couple weeks. Other than Benning and Botterill, I haven't heard of any other AGMs they've asked to talk with.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Predators assistant GM Fenton hopes to fill Sabres vacancy

Talking to a pair of reporters Thursday at the Air Canada Centre press box in Toronto, Predators assistant general manager Paul Fenton was not bashful about his desire to fill the Buffalo Sabres’ vacant general manager job.

“I believe that I’m ready,†Fenton said. “I’m hoping somebody else does.â€

Fenton said general manager David Poile had called the Sabres on his behalf, but Fenton himself had not heard from Buffalo. The Sabres fired general manager Darcy Regier on Nov. 13 and have yet to name a replacement. Buffalo also fired coach Ron Rolston and replaced him with Ted Nolan on an interim basis.

The Sabres named team legend Pat LaFontaine president of hockey operations. Fenton said he had not seen LaFontaine in 25 years, but was hopeful a conversation would happen soon.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I certainly wouldn't be upset if they chose Botterill, but how could they possibly have interviewed all the worthy candidates already?
That's my take as well. Botterill? No problem at all. Not fully interviewing the entire field, which seems to have at least a half-dozen excellent candidates? That's almost Rolstonish.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Paul Fenton was not bashful about his desire to fill the Buffalo Sabres’ vacant general manager job.
Yes, it's a big league job and there are only 30 teams, but a highly regarded guy who really, really WANTS to come to Buffalo for the job? A guy like that, who is publicly advocating for the job? If we rule out "screams of desperation," it's nice to hear. He needs to be interviewed.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
I'd be very happy with Botts, but I'd be much more comfortable knowing they arrived at that decision after at least talking to Dudley, Fenton, and Benning too.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Even if an early candidate is exactly who you wind up hiring, you go through the process of interviewing everyone so that you actually do the due diligence.

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Even if an early candidate is exactly who you wind up hiring, you go through the process of interviewing everyone so that you actually do the due diligence.

It's like answering a multiple-choice question. You read the first or second answer and are like "oh yeah that sounds right!" and pick that one. You're screwing yourself by not, at the very least, reading and eliminating the other answers. What's the worst that happens if you DO read all of them? You confirm your answer? GOOD.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
How long do you guys think it takes to interview 5-7 candidates? He could do it in a week easily.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
How long do you guys think it takes to interview 5-7 candidates? He could do it in a week easily.

In this case, I'd like a more deliberate process. It's a big decision. If it needs to take a month, then it should take a month. If they've been impressed enough by one applicant, then I'm fine with the hire even sooner.

Whoever is hired will be able to hit the ground running with Devine still in the picture. Devine can help get the hire up to speed on the prospects, as well as what the standing offers were for their impending UFAs. Plus, if it's one of the AGM's like Botterill, Fenton, or Loiselle, those guys all largely run their organization's AHL teams, so I have little doubt they have at least a decent familiarity with a lot of the organization's youngsters.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011

That was my problem with RonRol. It has the feeling of nobody doing their due diligence.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Given the logistics IMO that would be very unlikely. This isn't a manager position at the Mighty Taco.

In this case, I'd like a more deliberate process. It's a big decision. If it needs to take a month, then it should take a month. If they've been impressed enough by one applicant, then I'm fine with the hire even sooner.

Whoever is hired will be able to hit the ground running with Devine still in the picture. Devine can help get the hire up to speed on the prospects, as well as what the standing offers were for their impending UFAs. Plus, if it's one of the AGM's like Botterill, Fenton, or Loiselle, those guys all largely run their organization's AHL teams, so I have little doubt they have at least a decent familiarity with a lot of the organization's youngsters.

I agree with Zip -- the physical interviews likely take 10 days to 2 weeks once they have permission but the process itself shouldn't be shortcut. Take the time. It's not like the on-ice product is going to improve markedly with a new GM at the helm nor are the teams that want the Sabres UFA goods suddenly going to go away between now and say Christmas.

That was my problem with RonRol. It has the feeling of nobody doing their due diligence.

Clearly Darcy walked to the end of the hallway -- probably past the capuccino machine -- every day. Isn't that enough for you??

;)

I think his blunder with Ron is why he's unemployed right now. It's not like he had a lot of experience in hiring coaches -- just his second one in 16 years in the NHL and only four in the AHL since he inherited Torts and Dineen.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
In this case, I'd like a more deliberate process. It's a big decision. If it needs to take a month, then it should take a month.
I agree to an extent. Yes, they do need to let the full process play out as you said, but at the same time they can't get so patient that a new guy comes in without enough time to fully evaluate the roster here, the roster in Rochester, contracts, cap issues (probably more floor in this case), pipeline prospects, scouted prospects, etc. Some decisions need to be made sooner than later, and the incoming will need plenty of time to evaluate everything. But still, that shouldn't stop them from exercising due diligence as mentioned. Too many good candidates out there.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006

It depends on if the the guy you hand the job is qualified or not. Rolston was not qualified. Botterill is qualified and if you fall in love at first sight then why keep looking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad